1. #1

    Disc: Have you all you using AA then?

    I ask for the strange reason that Icy Veins, and a few other sources seem to marry it with just Attonement healing, but tbh 25% seems too good a buff to pass up.
    Are you all using AA on CD or near abouts?
    And what spells are you using to stack it if so?


    EDIT:

    The reason I ask is because this all feels like very, very bad game design.
    It's 25% with a high-ish uptime, so they really have to balance Disc around being able to do it on the dot/near.
    If they don't, balance them normally to the level of other healers, AND give them a 25% boost, they'll be OP.

    So it seems like to avoid the problem entirely we just don't have it.
    Because we're going to have to use it.
    Right?
    Last edited by AstroleonShadowflower; 2012-09-08 at 02:54 AM.
    "I'm sorry, but I can't hear you over the sound of how bad ass my discipline priest looks."

  2. #2
    I always press holy fire on cooldown, It is too powerful not to use. If there's spare GCDs I'll use smite as much as mana allows.

  3. #3
    Man, I remember getting called out during a raid near the end of tier eleven for "Smite healing on hard modes" by a guy in a former guild who didn't know that Holy Fire does good HPS and can stack Evangelism. Funny that that attitude is still around.

    I try to use Holy Fire on cooldown, and when the tank isn't in danger I also use Penance offensively to provide additional stacks. I use Smite if I need additional stacks quick when everything else is on CD, and for maintenance healing. Then I use Archangel for burst damage, e.g. Zon'ozz's dark phase or Hagara's lightning phase.

  4. #4
    Bloodsail Admiral Snaige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,109
    I personally don't. My screen is small (laptop) so combat text is pretty big. Whenever I use atonement in brackets it shows the name of the target it healed. 9/10 times it is a hunter/lock/dk pet. I facepalmed and stopped using it. I'm a casual raider, maybe not using it means I'm not following the LEET tactics but I'm sorry but my mana is too precious to waste it on healing pets.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaige View Post
    I personally don't. My screen is small (laptop) so combat text is pretty big. Whenever I use atonement in brackets it shows the name of the target it healed. 9/10 times it is a hunter/lock/dk pet. I facepalmed and stopped using it. I'm a casual raider, maybe not using it means I'm not following the LEET tactics but I'm sorry but my mana is too precious to waste it on healing pets.
    You can't have the mindset of not using AA/A because it only heals pets. During lulls in a fight, there's no reason not to stack Evangelism stacks. The 25%+ healing is to great to pass up if you need it for burst healing.

    If you're having mana problems still, you might have to look at your spell usage and mana management.

    Again, AA/A is only one of many tools in our toolbox. If that tool is needed or helps during an encounter, why not use it?

  6. #6
    Bloodsail Admiral Snaige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by skribblez32 View Post
    You can't have the mindset of not using AA/A
    A bit of a derailment from the topic but I will write it anyway This is the best part about being a casual gamer. You can play whenever you want and however you want, and you can feel free of worrying how ''you cant'' ''you have to'' ''you need to'' play. You don't need to join raid guilds, you don't need to follow boring standard reforging/spec rules, you can actually invent your own playstyle. If I can faceroll every single hardmode boss of this expansion with my casual suboptimal playstyle, then kudos to the developers to making the game fun and casual friendly. I love it! If something works for me then
    Quote Originally Posted by skribblez32 View Post
    why not use it?
    Last edited by Snaige; 2012-09-07 at 03:01 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleric View Post
    Man, I remember getting called out during a raid near the end of tier eleven for "Smite healing on hard modes" by a guy in a former guild who didn't know that Holy Fire does good HPS and can stack Evangelism. Funny that that attitude is still around.

    I try to use Holy Fire on cooldown, and when the tank isn't in danger I also use Penance offensively to provide additional stacks. I use Smite if I need additional stacks quick when everything else is on CD, and for maintenance healing. Then I use Archangel for burst damage, e.g. Zon'ozz's dark phase or Hagara's lightning phase.
    Good veteran healers don`t use the smite mechanic to heal on heroic encounters.
    Lucky for me that i despise this mechanic, i only cast holy fire for heroics to get the wings but thats it, a penance here and there if need be never smite, too much mana and its not what i want out of a healer

  8. #8
    I use AA/A to build the buff for when I'll need the boost in heals. In 5 mans I just try to keep it going b/c it buffs penance as well and the AA/A healing is nice when you have SpShell on and you need to top off a few people and then it's ready for the 25% boost moments.

    In raids I used it frequently for the mana return as well but since that is gone I will probably time it to alternate it with SpShell. I never used it to "heal", only to gain the buff and help with a little dps.

    I did glyph the instant so that it's extra easy to keep it going.

  9. #9
    I was AA/A before 5.0 too, so yeah... :P

    I think i'm actually using it more often now though, as before i wanted to keep the evangelism stacks for stronger Attonement then use Archangel for dmg spikes. Now i use less attonement so i pop AA pretty much on cooldown if there's any kind of dmg going on.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by banyentertainment View Post
    Good veteran healers don`t use the smite mechanic to heal on heroic encounters.
    Lucky for me that i despise this mechanic, i only cast holy fire for heroics to get the wings but thats it, a penance here and there if need be never smite, too much mana and its not what i want out of a healer
    What? Read the post. I wasn't advocating using Smite on hard modes, I was advocating using Holy Fire to stack Evangelism.

  11. #11
    I commented on this matter on a priest concern thread I posted on the official forums. I am trolling for a large, blue crab. I promised him a bottle of gin. I expect all of you to pony up if he replies.

    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6522902643#1

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Venaliter View Post
    I commented on this matter on a priest concern thread I posted on the official forums. I am trolling for a large, blue crab. I promised him a bottle of gin. I expect all of you to pony up if he replies.

    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6522902643#1
    I have some spare brandy.
    S'all I got, take it or leave it.

    Seriously though, please god hope we get some blues on this.
    I respecced holy today.
    It felt good.
    Too good.
    "I'm sorry, but I can't hear you over the sound of how bad ass my discipline priest looks."

  13. #13
    I removed my shadow spec and went disc/holy the other day. Holy still feels stronger but i'm enjoying disc more and more the more i learn it

    I'm still kind of pissed off about all the downtime we get. It feels like I'm wasting GCDs just because i can't afford to use the mana and no, I don't want Solace as disc. :P
    Attonement needs to be more mana efficient imo.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by banyentertainment View Post
    Good veteran healers don`t use the smite mechanic to heal on heroic encounters.
    Lucky for me that i despise this mechanic, i only cast holy fire for heroics to get the wings but thats it, a penance here and there if need be never smite, too much mana and its not what i want out of a healer
    You make it sound like all the good healers heal exactly how they did in vanilla and BC. No, just no. Holy fire is amazingly powerful for an instant cast and healing changes over time. "good veteran healers" should be good enough to adapt to new mechanics.

  15. #15
    I've been trying a playstyle based mostly around SS, with pretty good results so far. However, it seems to be completely incompatible with the AA playstyle. I seem to have a higher output if I completely drop atonement and spam PW:Sol during luls vs trying to weave PW:Sol, HF and Penance because disc's mana regen is terrible right now.

  16. #16
    Wait, "good, veteran healers" don't use smite to heal in heroic raids? Are you joking or just have no idea what you are talking about? The extra dps it provides while keeping up the melee is amazing in pre-nerf heroics. I mean You do not have to take my word for it, just watch any of blood legions videos from the disc priests point of view. He is spamming smite all the time...

  17. #17
    AA should be used as frequently as possible (1.5 times per minute) to boost your HPM, when aoe healing. Mana is the limiting factor here and frequent AA use can increase your HPM as much as 10%. If you only use holy fire and penance to stack it you also get a 5-7% HPS benefit. If you use smite when aoe healing however the HPM bonus is lower and the HPS bonus drops to 2% or so, in other words its probably not worth the hassle.

    Penance is best used on the boss when you have evangelism stacks, since it boosts healing by 20% while cutting mana cost by 30%. If you are aoe healing this is essential since it boosts HPM and converts penance into 3 small smart heals, which help spread the healing around evenly. Doing so while AoE healing also means you benefit from the 20% evangelism buff, whereas casting it on people who have no grace, only a tiny benefit.

    When tank healing using penance on the boss is also an extremely good idea. Penance used on the boss does 20% more damage and that stacks with grace on the tank, so you get 20% more healing than you would if you cast penance directly. When tank healing, its ok to cast smite to stack AA.

    Summary: Penance is very good to use on the boss because of evangelism. AoE healing --> penance and holy fire on the boss as often as you can, when tank healing penance and holy fire should be used on the boss, unless you lose grace on the tank. AA should be used as close as possible to 1.5 times per minute. Smite should be avoided as much as possible when aoe healing.

  18. #18
    this: youtu.be/4HpPUm2XRLY
    this: us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413263607?page=16#320
    and this: mmo-champion.com/threads/1191020-Is-Disc-really-that-bad-now?p=18390589&viewfull=1#post18390589

    I agree with ^ that archangel can stretch out your healing per mana, but it isn't a healing per second gain over prayer of heal spam. If you use heal in place of offensive holy fires, you'll find it just as effective if you can use grace to your advantage.

    In the healing tanks example ^above: penance can do up to a 20% boost of uncontrolled healing that will most likely hit your tank. If you already have grace stacked on your tank (which you should if you're tank healing), penance would be 30% of controlled healing on your tank if you targetted your tank with it. But you wouldn't get an evangelism stack, so it truly is a decision you're going to want to make every time you penance.

    Summary: Penance is good offensively for aoe healing the melee and preparing for archangel. Penance and holy fire as close to cooldown is great healing per mana, if it actually heals raiders and not pets. Use Archangel when you need the cooldown. Smite should only be used if there is no real healing to be done, or if you really need to time an archangel and you're building stacks of Evangelism as fast as possible.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedmynd View Post
    if it actually heals raiders and not pets.
    I would like to point out that the warlock talent Soul Link has been completely redesigned. Locks and pets now share damage and healing (in the past, % damage to the warlock was simply redirected to the pet), so when a pet takes damage, the player takes half the damage and vise versa. This is the same for healing, half of healing to the pet is redirected to the player. Same with healing the player, half of the healing is sent to the pet.

    I only say this because the general consensus among healers is to ignore pets, however with soul link, it doesn't matter because there is no difference between healing the pet or the player.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by scandore8472 View Post
    I would like to point out that the warlock talent Soul Link has been completely redesigned. Locks and pets now share damage and healing (in the past, % damage to the warlock was simply redirected to the pet), so when a pet takes damage, the player takes half the damage and vise versa. This is the same for healing, half of healing to the pet is redirected to the player. Same with healing the player, half of the healing is sent to the pet.

    I only say this because the general consensus among healers is to ignore pets, however with soul link, it doesn't matter because there is no difference between healing the pet or the player.
    Very few locks spec into that anymore.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •