Question Best HDD for file storage?

Hi,

I need an additional HDD to store files as I'm running out of space. I want to get at least 1TB.
    What would be the best HDD for this? I want to spend as little money as possible for as much space as I can get.
    Since it will only be used to store files and won't have any installations on it, I guess the performance isn't really important?
    I've been looking the Caviar Green HDDs from Western Digital, would that be a good choice? It should definitely be internal.

Thanks for any advice!

Deleted
    Performance won't make too big a difference it would just be the case or taking longer to transfer data. With what your looking for your best just going for whatever is the cheapest 1tb HDD you can find.

What about reliability? Are they all pretty equal?

For every "X brand is the most reliable, I've had 3 of them with no problems!" you'll get a counter "X brand is awful! I've had 3 of them die on me!"

Just go for whatever is cheapest if you don't care to research about acoustics. Speed isn't important for a storage drive.

Ok, thanks for the advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd keep your eyes open for the 2TB ones too... some of the 2TB Green drives are cheaper than the 1TB Blues... (or equivalent)
    The latest addition to my storage capacity is:

Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB 64MB Cache Hard Drive SATA 6Gb/s 12ms 5900rpm - OEM

2TB Capacity, SATA 6Gb/s Interface, 5900RPM Spin Speed, 12ms Average Seek Time, 64MB Cache, 2 Year Warranty.
    £79.99 inc vat

I use it mostly for Media Storage/Playback, Fraps and Backups and so far it's had no faults. The power savings isn't enough for me to notice... but then again I never really cared much about the power bill till I started running my minecraft server, currently my PC costs approx 25p-40p a day to run 24/7. (other details in sig)

As for reliability.... obviously going for a "no name" brand is asking for trouble... stick with WD, Seagate and Samsung, all in my experience had performed well. (but then again I am in the group that has only ever had 1 drive fail on them, and that was a Maxtor)
    Last edited by Djinni; 2012-09-07 at 04:56 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    I'd keep your eyes open for the 2TB ones too... some of the 2TB Green drives are cheaper than the 1TB Blues... (or equivalent)
    The latest addition to my storage capacity is:

Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB 64MB Cache Hard Drive SATA 6Gb/s 12ms 5900rpm - OEM

2TB Capacity, SATA 6Gb/s Interface, 5900RPM Spin Speed, 12ms Average Seek Time, 64MB Cache, 2 Year Warranty.
    £79.99 inc vat

This. If you want a storage drive, go for a 2TB eco/green piece.
    I am running the 2TB Samsung SpinPoint F4 eco in Raid 1 and i am very happy with it. These drives just produce much less noise but are speed-wise nearly on par with the 1TB 7200 rpm drives. I am kind of picky when noise is concerned, so besides my SSD i only have 5400 rpm drives in my computer. My Raid 1 as kind of a "final storage" (things i don't want to lose, e.g. my neatly sorted and tagged music library) and a single 1TB caviar green for temporary storage.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet