Thread: warlock pvp 5.0

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

warlock pvp 5.0

so my friend has a warlock that is 49 (yes i know its a low level) and hes saying "i was right to fear the patch, cause now i hate my warlock" hes saying that in relation to he feels like he does no damage on his warlock next to anyone as opposed to me that is leveling a spriest with him (and my spriest's damage went through the roof)....so my question is: are locks a class that are late bloomers and only start to do some major damage once they get all their dots and shit or is aff (the spec hes playing) just not so great after the patch (which i honestly find hard to believe after doing 90 pvp on the beta but, im no lock expert

10+ Year Old Account
    Destro does sick damage. Affliction does less I THINK. Also, warlocks have never really been a class that dealt OP damage low level.

Don't worry about damage until max level.

And affliction is surprisingly one of the biggest burst specs in the game now. Just doing burst tests in duels, I can actually kill a fully geared person in 4-5 seconds, it's retarded. Soul swap all dots on > haunt > grasp with trinkets and dark soul of course. Not to mention blood fear is probably going to ruin 3v3 for everyone.

Warlocks have always been gods, are gods, and look like they will be gods for a while to come. Level the lock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warlocks are very strong now. Destro is clunky and awkward as before but aff is even easier to play in mop

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes the class requires a high level in order to get the most out of it. It's by far the worst class pvp wise before level 70 at which you can get yourself full resilience gear and starts to get even better at 78 when you get portal.

Pve wise low level affliction is also really bad because by the time you have successfully dotted the first mob it's already almost dead. I'd recommend demonology until 80.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Destro does sick damage. Affliction does less I THINK. Also, warlocks have never really been a class that dealt OP damage low level.
    Not really, demo and affliction are a lot more dangerous in terms of damage.
    (Having 1 hardhitting spell with a interrupt me tag on it doesn't equal sick damage)

Honestly, warlocks are in a pretty good shape atm, I guess it's just your friend having issues.

Low level affl is rough without strong burst. They can spread some good dmg in bgs, but lack finishing power. Have him try demo until 70+

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Destro does good damage, but has a ridiculous ramp up time in which it does relatively low damage. Even then, it doesn't have a lot of survivability compared to other classes and can become overwhelmed easily.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noujou View Post
    so my friend has a warlock that is 49 (yes i know its a low level) and hes saying "i was right to fear the patch, cause now i hate my warlock" hes saying that in relation to he feels like he does no damage on his warlock next to anyone as opposed to me that is leveling a spriest with him (and my spriest's damage went through the roof)....so my question is: are locks a class that are late bloomers and only start to do some major damage once they get all their dots and shit or is aff (the spec hes playing) just not so great after the patch (which i honestly find hard to believe after doing 90 pvp on the beta but, im no lock expert
    i think your friend must be unexpierenced or even ignorant, if he cannot adapt to the strong demo and destruction specs, everyone knows they are borderline op in pvp, with lvl49 you long ago got access to chaos bolt too, the highest critting spell so far in the game. lol.

Before lvl42 demo locks are hard hitters did he ever tried hand of guldan? Its availble at lvl19 and friggin strong.

to that little priest note:
    shadow is strong but disc is stronger both deal dmg, cause of op penace the disc too, just the disc got a lot of control too through talents endless fears with psyfiend and can not die due to insane mana reg and op heals/shields. i actually manage to defeat a well geared shadow priests who was not totally unexpierenced too, by simply playing him oom, granted it was low lvl40ies pvp and he had not as many mana reg tools(however the mana reg seems higher, just no combat mana reg as much) i'd save shadow for srsbsn at 85-90 lvls.

ok on a final note i have to say you still get a lot of use out of affliction early on, cause of the simple fact that there are so many healers currently(as they are too strong finally now) seems holy pala is out now, though. Rogues are not weaker but was changed drastically so there are less rogues in bgs right now as people are confused of the changes, this helps the affliction spec too, lots of healers not so much rogues.

However due to the good and many changes to demo and destruction, affliction is simply uninteresting to play currently, why bother? I mean demo changed for a lot and feels nicer and smoother to play and is very powerful with a new resource system and almost permanent meta.
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2012-09-09 at 12:58 AM.

The warlock has got a major overhaul. But We didnt get much extra. As affliction you had soullink, now we have to choose soullink. We had howl of terror, now we have to choose howl of terror. We lost deathcoil, but gained unending resolve. Im fine with that.

A shadowpriest kept psychic scream, silence and psychic horror. They gained a control talent at lvl 15 (void tendrils or psyfiend). Gained a mobility talent at lvl 30 (phantasm). Gained a better pet at lvl 45 (mindbender). Gained a defensive/healing talent at lvl 60. They got healing with the Glyph of Dark Binding. They got extra spell protection with the glyph of Inner sanctum.

The damage might be the same as a lock cause thats based on pve performances. But the survivability of shadowpriests has gone sky-high after 5.0 cause of all the extra's they can now use in pvp. IMO they went overboard with the shadowpriest.
    Last edited by Mayden; 2012-09-09 at 01:57 PM.

i played an aff lock till about 50 and I couldn't take the damage, it just wasn't enough.