Building My Own Computer

Hey everyone! I'm finally going to do it. After years of talking about doing it and just buying premades, I get paid tomorrow and I'm making my own. I plan on building Puppy, but I honestly have no clue what I'm doing and I'd like some input before I take my first shot at this. First question is, is the case for puppy just a recommendation or do I HAVE To use that one? Like, is it a space issue to make sure everything fits inside? Because I was looking on their website and the people that make the GAMMA classic also make another nice one called the Phantom, and if possible, I'd like to use that one instead. My other question is, I don't really understand how all the pieces stay in side of the computer. My uncle once told me the first time is a little confusing, but every time after that, it's just like putting legos together. So do they clip in or screw in? And my final question is, is there any type of guide to show what attaches to what?

Thanks for your time and help.

All that "Puppy" is, as well as the others, are just recommendations for that price point. If there's a different part that you want to get that fits the build (i.e. a different case, or you think you want a better graphics card or CPU, etc.), then by all means go for it. As far as cases go, the Phantom is a fantastic case, however I would probably go for a Phantom 410 for your first build (the mid tower version, where as the regular Phantom is a full tower - much bigger).

*EVERYTHING* in a computer is keyed, it all can only go in one way. Depending the case, you may or may not have to screw things in, it's all in how the case is designed as most these days are tool-less. The case will probably come with motherboard installation instructions and the motherboard will come with instructions for everything else. If you get an after-market CPU cooler, it will also come with instructions. So, in short, just read the instructions

Havent looked at the build you're talking about but cases are pretty preferential if you get a mid tower ATX case the only thing to worry about is how big the video card is now adays to make sure your not ripping harddrive bays out down the road. So the phantom and Gamma would probably work fine for what ever you were planning on building. Mother board screws to case. CPU in only socket that it will fit in. Cooler screwed into mobo over CPU. Ram clips in. Video card clips in. Depending on case HDDs/DVD and what not clip in or screw in. Your motherboard will come with a step by step guide more than likely to get everything together. The biggest advice I give to new builders is make sure you use the brass stand offs in between your mother board and case or your gonna have a bad time.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    All that "Puppy" is, as well as the others, are just recommendations for that price point. If there's a different part that you want to get that fits the build (i.e. a different case, or you think you want a better graphics card or CPU, etc.), then by all means go for it. As far as cases go, the Phantom is a fantastic case, however I would probably go for a Phantom 410 for your first build (the mid tower version, where as the regular Phantom is a full tower - much bigger).

*EVERYTHING* in a computer is keyed, it all can only go in one way. Depending the case, you may or may not have to screw things in, it's all in how the case is designed as most these days are tool-less. The case will probably come with motherboard installation instructions and the motherboard will come with instructions for everything else. If you get an after-market CPU cooler, it will also come with instructions. So, in short, just read the instructions
    What this guy said, RTFM and you wont go wrong.
    - Nom Nom

Wow, extremely fast replies. Thanks a lot everyone I really appreciate it. This gives me a lot of peace of mind because I was really nervous about how this was gonna go.

+ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rPqCvCt0g

Most important part, don't get thermal paste on any other part of your mainboard apart from exactly there.

All in all, if you don't apply brute force to fit the parts in, never work with wet/sweaty hands and follow the instructions in the various manuals,
    you're going to be fine. If in doubt about anything, there's always guides on the almighty interwebs.

Hardware Heaven - Step by Step Guide

And just for the sake of having said so:

Quote Originally Posted by Hardware Heaven
    Remember to ground yourself by touching the metal case before you handle any of your computer’s electronic components, it saves them from possible static discharge which can destroy hardware. An elasticated anti static wrist strap is a great purchase to ensure a safe build and they are reasonably priced.

Does Thermal paste come with anything I'm buying? Or am I going to need to go buy seperate things to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by whyumadbro View Post
    Does Thermal paste come with anything I'm buying? Or am I going to need to go buy seperate things to do this?
    It'll be with the CPU and its respective stock cooler