10+ Year Old Account

Self-help Account Recovery

Their self-help account recovery thing has gone live now, apparently.

The way it works is, you put the name or e-mail of the account, the serial code used for the account (SO FIND IT NOW AND SAVE IT SOMEWHERE), and the name of a character on the account.

I think the third field is a rather big flaw, unless it includes characters that were formerly on the account, deleted more than 24 hours ago.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

This looks more like a tool for resetting your password because you forgot it, not recovering a stolen account. Because if your account is stolen one of the first things they seem to do is change the name and e-mail. Plus they likely delete your characters, leaving you with only the serial code. And you may not even have that if you bought the game digitally.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    This looks more like a tool for resetting your password because you forgot it, not recovering a stolen account. Because if your account is stolen one of the first things they seem to do is change the name and e-mail. Plus they likely delete your characters, leaving you with only the serial code. And you may not even have that if you bought the game digitally.
    Technically speaking, assuming they're smart about what can go into these fields, you can "recover" your account this way, simply by resetting the password, and then quickly changing your e-mail back to something.

It doesn't get your stuff back, but with your account properly back in your hands, it helps to smooth things along.

I do agree, the "character on the account" thing is a bad choice of field, unless they keep records of deleted characters (WoW does this - GMs can see every character you have ever created on your account, and could easily undelete any of them). The e-mail field should be fine, so long as they, say... keep track of the original e-mail or something. (example - as I ordered digitally, they should have a record of which e-mail was used to order it)
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    You get the serial code in an email if you bought digitally.