How do server transfers work?

I'm in a casual guild that isn't very active and my server is utter trash in WvWvW. So I'm looking to move to a server that is more WvWvW oriented. I have some friends on my current server. If I transfer servers, will I still be able to play with friends on another server for PVE?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No /10char

Deleted
    You can when the guest option is available.

10+ Year Old Account
    They'll be adding the guest option once they stop offering free server transfers. Right now, though, you're stuck with just the people on your server.

I thought you could group up with anyone on any server and then join whatever server they're on. Maybe I am mistaken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    I'm in a casual guild that isn't very active and my server is utter trash in WvWvW. So I'm looking to move to a server that is more WvWvW oriented. I have some friends on my current server. If I transfer servers, will I still be able to play with friends on another server for PVE?
    You really shouldn't judge WvWvW quality just yet, imo. Organized groups can't always field their full group right now (i've heard of 3-5 hour queues!), and there's tons of people (like me) who refuse to play WvWvW until these issues are solved, and until we get the proper 2-week battles.

---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 02:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bodaway View Post
    I thought you could group up with anyone on any server and then join whatever server they're on. Maybe I am mistaken.
    Guesting is not currently enabled. Until then, transfers are free and don't seem to have any limitations imposed on them (AFAIK).
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the guest system, which isn't enabled yet.

Somehow I found a friend on another server and was able to get a guild invite and then party with them. Once partied i right clicked their name and hit "join on ***" or whatever it said. Seemed to be working out then but maybe it's just an overflow thing.

Somehow I found a friend on another server and was able to get a guild invite and then party with them. Once partied i right clicked their name and hit "join on ***" or whatever it said. Seemed to be working out then but maybe it's just an overflow thing.
    Indeed, it's an overflow thing. Also keep in mind that a server focused on WvW means longer queues.

10+ Year Old Account
    You cannot WvW with someone from another server - only against them if your server is up against theirs.
    This is to prevent exploits in WvW and keep the server against server battle meaningful.

You can sPvP with them however.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    You cannot WvW with someone from another server - only against them if your server is up against theirs.
    This is to prevent exploits in WvW and keep the server against server battle meaningful.

You can sPvP with them however.
    I know you can't play with the in WvWvW. I was asking if I would still be able to play with them in PVE.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know you can't play with the in WvWvW. I was asking if I would still be able to play with them in PVE.
    Not until guesting is enabled, or unless you both go to overflow servers and then one of you joins the other.

Guesting and transfers are two entirely distinct features. Transferring involves "permanently" moving all of your characters to a different home server, including for WvW. Guesting involves "visiting" another server temporarily, just as if you were moved to an overflow.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.