Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything Kurdiern said. LoL is essentially a watered-down version of DotA, whether you call that a good or bad thing is up to the individual. I personally like them both for different reasons. Winning in DotA is much more fun than winning in LoL, but losing in DotA can be absolutely miserable.

On-topic, these are most of the reasons DotA fans give for hating LoL/Riot (I agree with some but not all of them):

1. LoL has a leveling and currency system which makes grinding essential
    2. Champions have much less power than DotA heroes in general
    3. No denying, no courier, trivial last hitting
    4. Mana costs in LoL are trivial, most champions simply spam their spells
    5. LoL has a very rigid meta
    6. The LoL community is young and immature
    7. Almost no flexibility in item builds, items in general are much weaker
    8. Carries, and particularly well-farmed carries, are of much less importance in LoL
    9. Many champions are very similar to each other, and very few are complex
    10. Aggressive play is usually unrewarding
    11. Riot invests huge amounts of money to create an artificial esports presence
    pretty much hit everything on the nose that i was going to say, but i'd say my biggest pet peeves are points 5, 7, 9, 10, and 11. The game is fun to play a few matches, and i actually think that Dominion really shines in the LoL format, but the traditional dota-style map? games are boring to watch and slow to play.

11 is by far the worst problem with LoL, though. All companies are money-grubbing assholes, but i've never seen anyone sink as low as Riot.
    Last edited by seije; 2012-09-09 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Some people might not like it because of the rotten community.
    This is the reason why I never go near DotA games, and why I avoided it during my many years playing Warcraft III. The game itself is alright, but mingling with the worst of humanity just isn't worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukari View Post
    Equality is a universal concept, you either care about it for everyone, or you don't care about it. It can't be compartmentalized, you can't champion equality for solely one group, that's inimical to the whole idea of equality.
    To make room for the cupcake!

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I like playing it, but I hate the community. That's it. I play to enjoy and relax, not to be yelled at. Which is why I haven't played it in months. There are plenty of other games that fills my needs.

From what I understand LOL is the leader, the champion, the best in the genre from a financial point of view. It makes sense that it has to be the most popular and successful of the MOBAs.

People hate on popular things I notice. Those aren't the majority (they can't be the majority logically) but they sure are the loudest

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE BR#1!

But on a more serious note it's the generally poor community that plagues ALL moba games. If you die once you've been reported by 4 people for feeding and they go into detail the sexual acts they committed upon your mother the previous night. Many a monocle has been popped over this game.

a lot of the "problems" mentioned in that list of 11 riot is most definitely aware of and are currently looking into changing between season 2 and 3. changing them now would shake the game up too much given that their world championship series starts in october.
    Last edited by dengatron; 2012-09-09 at 06:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    because in dota2 when someone fails the common response in troll games is "go back to LoL." Honestly, for me though its the pay to play/win scheme that Riot has going on (Imba heroes at new release to catch sales), and the fact that I dont think I could really play (like play play, you MOBA people know what im talking about, like put the time in to actually get decent) more than one of the 3, they are just too similar. For me, DOTA2's that pinnacle, but I also understand that we are EXTREMELY more unforgiving than you. I hate on LoL because its "hardcore" players rag on DOTA2 constantly, and it just sounds ignorant to me considering LoL is DOTA2 for dummies (herp derp last hit) who dont want to take the time to practice a steep learning curve

Quote Originally Posted by hatsune View Post
    From what I understand LOL is the leader, the champion, the best in the genre from a financial point of view. It makes sense that it has to be the most popular and successful of the MOBAs.

People hate on popular things I notice. Those aren't the majority (they can't be the majority logically) but they sure are the loudest
    I dont think this is true. Financially maybe because they charge you to actually play the heroes, and continue to charge when they release new heroes (instead of having a 1 time free "premium" that I would still disagree with, but think is the lesser of 2 evils). Popular and successful? Do you even know where DOTA2 comes from? DOTA is the most successful of all time, hands down, you arent going to convince me otherwise, and when DOTA2 gets free2play for public instead of beta invites/keys I think that LoL is going to hurt. People might pull the whole WoW killer argument over this, but DOTA was WoW in that argument, LoL is rift, HoN is AoC and DOTA2 is basically that thing we dont even know exists yet
    Last edited by Sistine; 2012-09-09 at 06:05 AM.

They dont hate the game the community is what most people dislike.
    Pretend this is a amazing sig with my character holding an legendary.

I played a game of Smite, and I think it's turned up my map awareness for League somewhat. Personally, I really have come to like league a lot over the past year and a half I've been playing. But given how essential communication is in it (and given how people are in it) playing gets a little difficult knowing that there's a serious chance that I'll have to deal with some person trying to be cute by ruining the game for the rest of us.
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    On-topic, these are most of the reasons DotA fans give for hating LoL/Riot (I agree with some but not all of them):

1. LoL has a leveling and currency system which makes grinding essential.
    It also helps seperate people with no experience in the game from people that do.
    2. Champions have much less power than DotA heroes in general.
    Because champions 1-shotting people or stunning folks for 8 seconds is fun?
    3. No denying, no courier, trivial last hitting.
    It's also of many peoples opinions that denying is a bad mechanic, and if last hitting were trivial then everyone in LoL would be hitting at least 80cs per 10 minutes, which definitely doesn't happen most games.
    4. Mana costs in LoL are trivial, most champions simply spam their spells.
    I can agree with this on some rare champions or after a full build, but after a full build you shouldn't be casting 5-8 spells and then being worthless.
    5. LoL has a very rigid meta.
    This is more fault of the community than of RIOT, and many people are starting to change the meta once again, just look at M5.
    6. The LoL community is young and immature.
    Because most other gaming communities aren't? I used to play dota and remember clearly just how toxic and unhelpful many of those players were.
    7. Almost no flexibility in item builds, items in general are much weaker.
    While I can agree that flexibility in item builds is low per spec, most the items are used on a game by game basis. Items being weaker is also a good thing as it puts more influence on player skill and less on "I jest got da god item, I are now god huehue".
    8. Carries, and particularly well-farmed carries, are of much less importance in LoL.
    Since when? A well farmed carry can basically carry a team, if your carry is not well farmed your team isn't near as good. The difference being that a lot of champions now can carry even if they aren't ranged ad in particular.
    9. Many champions are very similar to each other, and very few are complex.
    What, do you want champions where you have to enter a bar code before every ability? Or maybe sing the Canadian national anthem while twirling in circles and writing your star sign in chocolate? Simplicity is good sometimes, and while some champions might be similar, I can't think of a single one that plays even 80% the same aside from an end game ranged carry.
    10. Aggressive play is usually unrewarding.
    It's more that aggressive play is risky, and it's generally bad to take risks. With proper warding and a good team you can be pretty aggressive and be vastly rewarded for it.
    So RIOT listening to their community and creating more tournaments, LAN events, and the like is bad?
    Basically overall I can only partially agree with a couple of these, and most of these statements are either ignorance or opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterisbest View Post
    Ermm... why would you want DOTA to beat LoL? What do you possibly get out of it? If by beat you mean DOTA will take over LoL as the top MOBA esports then only time will tell. And as you said better number =/= better game, then why does it matter which game is at the top? Don't understand this ideology of desperate to play "the best" game. Nobody really gives a shit if you the play "the best" game or the "second best" or what ever the fuck. If you think telling someone you play LoL and not DOTA will degrade you value in society, then you are care way too much about playing a fucking video game and other people pov.

Complicated =/= better. Some people just like to brag that a game being complicated is simply better then everything out there to boost their egos. Just so they can feel how much "skilled" they are. It's a video game people, get over it. No matter how good you are at a game, the fact is, at the end of the day, it's a video and nothing more, that's why e-sport has never been and never will be considered a REAL sports. E-sports have a very small community and it's not getting any bigger for a long, long time.

And lets not even talk about how Valve tried to trademark the MOBA genre only for Blizzard to intervene and stop them. But yes, lets talk about how Riot is trying to monopolize the genre when the only other MOBA game during this time was HoN, which couldn't hold a candle to LoL.

DOTA 2 is in beta, hence the community is decent, just wait for it's release and watch every "cool" kid playing DOTA and we will talk about the community then.

This entire resentment for a video game makes me laugh. Why do people care so much anyways? You don't like a game anymore, move on, you don't need to brag about how you are the awesome, the game is shit and how much people value your opinion, when it truth, nobody really cares. Same thing I have seen for WoW, the game changed, you don't like it anymore, move on, if you think the gaming company will change the game or die out because you don't like it anymore, then you are so so wrong my friend. After WoW it was CoD, then D3 and now it's LoL.

People hate LoL, because it's the new cool thing. Hating a popular video game is a cool thing now and a trend. Granted the hate is justified is some cases, but people just hate EVERYTHING about a game, EVERYTHING is bad and wrong about the game but still millions of people play the game. Seems legit.

The second reason why people hate LoL is the community. But then you can hate almost any online multiplayer video game for the community.

Then you have a few other things such as runes and IP grinding.
    When did I say I want Dota 2 to beat Valve? I never did. I play both, and notice how instead of saying "we" I say "The Dota 2 community." No need to pull shit out of your ass.

I never said that complicated = better. Once again, no need to pull shit out of your ass.

Valve trying to trademark the MOBA genre? Once again, stop pulling shit out of you ass. Valve tried to trademark the name "dota" since, surprise, they were making a direct sequel with Icefrog and Eul developing. Riot was the one who opposed Valve trying to trademark the Dota name, Blizzard only stepped in a year later because they also wanted to release an ARTS. In fact, Riot also tried to fucking file for ownership of the “DOTA” trademark itself, on the same day. They just didn't decide to tell anyone.

And yes, I do disagree with Riot's management of esports. Esports should be built around the game, not by the game. Riot signed agreements with many tournament organizations to make sure that LoL was the only ARTS there (They tried with Dreamhack, but Dreamhack told them to fuck off. Notice how it's one of the only tournaments with HoN/LoL/Dota2). They constantly pump money into the scene and, heading into season 3, look to control the entire esport scene behind LoL. Everything is in their control. In addition, they contemplated the move (and possibly went forward with it to talk to certain organizations) of making organizations sign an agreement that if they wanted to participate in LoL season 3, they would need to drop any other ARTS teams and only have a LoL team. Are these good business moves? Yes, they are. Are they good moves for the well being of esports and general non-douchebaggery? Hell no.

Once again, where do you pull this shit? I play both games. I post in both LoL forum and the Dota2 thread. I post in both subreddits. When have I ever said "I hate LoL, I play Dota 2 now, get on my level bros?!" I actually tend to play more LoL then I do Dota 2! Shocking! Now how about you stop pulling shit out of your ass to make a long, dramatic, and utterly pointless thread in which you come save Riot, the poor damsel in distress.

I don't like LoL. Several reasons:

- I don't like PvP where you can get killed during one CC duration (WTFROFLBBQZERGFEST). I actually hate those games. No time to respond if you are unlucky you get killed. If you play FOTM you can kill almost everyone. No thank you.
    - Community and players are often stupid. You come into match and there is almost always someone bitching about and giving you orders... No thanks I like to play the game the way I WANT!
    - grinding is way too much for me. Wanna come to level 30? Yeah grind for like 2 months like idiot and after that grind even more to buy glyphs and marks and champions... No thanks I have enough grinding in other games.
    - losing very badly from start of the game? Yeah wait 20 minutes so then you can press surrender and pray others will vote yes. If not watch into screen for some more time and waste your time doing nothing or just go and feed enemy so game is ended sooner.
    - some champions can just ignore towers and roflstomp almost directly into your base. WTF?
    - imbalance issues
    - did I mention someone can kill you in 2 seconds? (Pax isn't it. Throw you into the air and when you land you are dead WTF???)
    - oh and people love to steal your kills even if you have taken 99% of enemy HP alone. Often people are running around like headless chickens and wait in bushes for enemy HP to drop enough to steal kill.
    - did I mention that some players can survive all the shit in game and still dish out tons of damage???

LoL has much concepts good, but they are executed very badly. I played LoL for several months and now I can't even run it anymore. It's just that bad for me.

I don't hate League of Legends but I dislike a few things about the game:

1) You can't deny creeps/towers/heroes;
    2) There are no Town Portal scrolls;
    3) To me, the extra skills slots and the talent tree system feel... out of place. I like the sandbox nature of HoN and Dota: every game that includes eg. a Sand King will have a Sand King that starts with the same health, the same resistance, the same damage, the same tools. I prefer the ''ground zero'' type of game;
    4) Although technical and probably due to a problem on my end, I would always get minor lag spikes while playing LoL, making last hitting (amongst other actions) a very unfun experience. I browsed the web to find a fix but I didn't find any, much to my dismay, as I did enjoy learning the game with a friend. I stopped playing when it became unbearable.
    Last edited by Harmonium; 2012-09-09 at 07:03 AM.

Damn how did I forget? Annie... this champion pushed me to the edge of explosion and I almost wanted to throw my computer out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    Basically overall I can only partially agree with a couple of these, and most of these statements are either ignorance or opinion.

1. LoL has a leveling and currency system which makes grinding essential.
    It also helps seperate people with no experience in the game from people that do.
    2. Champions have much less power than DotA heroes in general.
    Because champions 1-shotting people or stunning folks for 8 seconds is fun?
    3. No denying, no courier, trivial last hitting.
    It's also of many peoples opinions that denying is a bad mechanic, and if last hitting were trivial then everyone in LoL would be hitting at least 80cs per 10 minutes, which definitely doesn't happen most games.
    4. Mana costs in LoL are trivial, most champions simply spam their spells.
    I can agree with this on some rare champions or after a full build, but after a full build you shouldn't be casting 5-8 spells and then being worthless.
    5. LoL has a very rigid meta.
    This is more fault of the community than of RIOT, and many people are starting to change the meta once again, just look at M5.
    6. The LoL community is young and immature.
    Because most other gaming communities aren't? I used to play dota and remember clearly just how toxic and unhelpful many of those players were.
    7. Almost no flexibility in item builds, items in general are much weaker.
    While I can agree that flexibility in item builds is low per spec, most the items are used on a game by game basis. Items being weaker is also a good thing as it puts more influence on player skill and less on "I jest got da god item, I are now god huehue".
    8. Carries, and particularly well-farmed carries, are of much less importance in LoL.
    Since when? A well farmed carry can basically carry a team, if your carry is not well farmed your team isn't near as good. The difference being that a lot of champions now can carry even if they aren't ranged ad in particular.
    9. Many champions are very similar to each other, and very few are complex.
    What, do you want champions where you have to enter a bar code before every ability? Or maybe sing the Canadian national anthem while twirling in circles and writing your star sign in chocolate? Simplicity is good sometimes, and while some champions might be similar, I can't think of a single one that plays even 80% the same aside from an end game ranged carry.
    10. Aggressive play is usually unrewarding.
    It's more that aggressive play is risky, and it's generally bad to take risks. With proper warding and a good team you can be pretty aggressive and be vastly rewarded for it.
    So RIOT listening to their community and creating more tournaments, LAN events, and the like is bad?
    1) MMR exists. Dota 2 already matchmakes based on skill level. Level 30 is essentially a grind with no purpose other than to draw out the process and try to sap money from people.

2) Hyperboles are fun. No such thing as 8 second stun, and if you fed a PA to that point then gg on your part. Whether or not you like champions stronger or weaker (Which is very dependent on the situation) is up to you.

3) Compared to Dota 2 last hitting is very trivial in LoL. Animations are smoother, base damage is higher, and abilities can be used to farm easily. Last hitting in Dota 2 is more dependent on you being experienced with the hero.

5) No, this is the fault of Riot also. Riot has done nothing to change the meta. Counter jungling is a new meta? No, no it isn't. It's an aggresive playstyle, that's all really. Riot releases champions to fit pre-determined roles. Instead of picking a hero for their strenghts and weaknesses, their attributes (IE, say, strong ganking, synergy with a pick bottom, and a good late game), you pick the best champion for mid (since everything is sorted by roles, there are always going to be a few champions who do best in that role). Everything is pre-determined and both Riot and the Community are stuck in this mindset. For example, Ezreal's W is too good in lane for trading against AD carries. What happens? Riot nerfs it because AD carries should always go bot and this is too strong. Why not sent a mage or someone else bot who doesn't rely on auto-attacks?

7) Which also means items have less of an impact. The item choices in dota 2 are much stronger and varied. QoP. The Anti-Mage getting out of control? Grab a sheepstick to shut him down for 3 seconds. You have a team fighting oriented team? Grab a Scepter for a much stronger Ulti. The items aren't used on a regular basis. You literally see IE every game on AD. Why? Because it's the only AD item in the game with a stat multiplier for AD carries. Same with rabadons. You never see items like Morellos or Soul Shroud because there is no reason to buy them. Item choices are much less diverse.

8) Well farmed and late game carries don't carry as hard as in Dota 2. There is much more importance placed on a late game AM than a late game Vayne in a teamfights. Good or bad, personal preference.

9) They are. Complexity doesn't have to be the stupid hyperbole you just said. Someone like Chen, BM, hell even Puck would be great in LoL. And yes, the heroes are pretty simple. There's a reason people literally joke: Bruiser top: Gap closer, on hit effect, CC, damage ability. When compared to Dota 2, champions really are very similar. Also, Firefox Ahri x Frost Irelia's face. Zyra and Diane's artwork. So similar lol.

11) An esport scene supported only by the developer is horrible. Esports should be built around the game, not built by the game. Valve has hosted one tournament for Dota 2 a year. It has a vibrant and well supported esports scene with tournaments happening plenty of the time, backed by other organizations and sponsors who aren't Valve. I suggest you watch Travis's interview with Scarra and listen to a few of his concerns. Literally Riot's esport scene is controlled by Riot. This is bad.It isn't rocket science. Riot literally controls EVERYTHING about their esports scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurdiern View Post
    When did I say I want Dota 2 to beat Valve? I never did. I play both, and notice how instead of saying "we" I say "The Dota 2 community." No need to pull shit out of your ass.
    If you're talking about the Dota 2 community specifically (Like you hinted), we don't hate LoL. Most of the Dota 2 community is very happy with Valve and Icefrog and believe that Dota 2 can beat LoL. Who they dislike is Riot, not LoL the game.
    I never said that complicated = better. Once again, no need to pull shit out of your ass.
    Every post you have made regarding LoL and DOTA, you have clearly said that you don't like LoL's simplicity and prefer DOTA's complexity, from items to character abilities to everything else. If I start to quote, it make the post incredibly long. So if anyone is interested in knowing if Kurdiern never said complicated = better, please refer to his posts on your own. This goes the same to for you Kurdiern. Please refer to your previous posts.

Valve trying to trademark the MOBA genre? Once again, stop pulling shit out of you ass. Valve tried to trademark the name "dota" since, surprise, they were making a direct sequel with Icefrog and Eul developing. Riot was the one who opposed Valve trying to trademark the Dota name, Blizzard only stepped in a year later because they also wanted to release an ARTS. In fact, Riot also tried to fucking file for ownership of the “DOTA” trademark itself, on the same day. They just didn't decide to tell anyone.
    Valve tried to trademark the name DOTA which defined all MOBA's or ARTS back then. This would have given them the rights to genre not just the name. The name of the genre was later changed to MOBA and ARTS to avoid this confusion. If Valve trademarked the DOTA (genre), then Riot and Blizzard would loose rights to their games or anyone else. It was after the genre name change which made Riot pull out and eventually Blizzard after Valve and Blizz agreed that Valve wasn't going to trademark the genre just the DOTA game and Blizzard's MOBA will be called Blizzard DOTA or Blizzard Allstars.

And yes, I do disagree with Riot's management of esports. Esports should be built around the game, not by the game. Riot signed agreements with many tournament organizations to make sure that LoL was the only ARTS there (They tried with Dreamhack, but Dreamhack told them to fuck off. Notice how it's one of the only tournaments with HoN/LoL/Dota2). They constantly pump money into the scene and, heading into season 3, look to control the entire esport scene behind LoL. Everything is in their control. In addition, they contemplated the move (and possibly went forward with it to talk to certain organizations) of making organizations sign an agreement that if they wanted to participate in LoL season 3, they would need to drop any other ARTS teams and only have a LoL team. Are these good business moves? Yes, they are. Are they good moves for the well being of esports and general non-douchebaggery? Hell no.
    Riot signed agreements with tournament organizations to make sure LoL is the only ARTS. How is that any different from what other game companies do? Why were the organizations stupid enough to sign such a contract when they know other MOBA's exist, especially DOTA which is bigger then LoL, and will bring in more cash/viewers? Riot's good business plan or organizations being stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard
    "Guys, let’s clear this up: this was a big miscommunication between Riot and a few teams. We are not requiring team organizations to be exclusive to League of Legends, period.

Our goal as an eSports organization is simple. It’s to do our best to over deliver on the expectations of our fans. This is why we have made a very large commitment to eSports, despite being a young company relative to some of the largest game companies in the world. We have set a high bar for ourselves as we have decided to take on some ambitious and unconventional risks such as building an official league and formalizing consistent regular season play. We have made this a focus because we love eSports as much as our fans and we believe it deserves the best possible production quality, live events, and fan/player experience. And ultimately, we believe our initiative and investment in eSports will help every competitive game."
    Puts your conspiracy theory to bed.

Once again, where do you pull this shit? I play both games. I post in both LoL forum and the Dota2 thread. I post in both subreddits. When have I ever said "I hate LoL, I play Dota 2 now, get on my level bros?!" I actually tend to play more LoL then I do Dota 2! Shocking! Now how about you stop pulling shit out of your ass to make a long, dramatic, and utterly pointless thread in which you come save Riot, the poor damsel in distress.
    You don't hate LoL? Ok, sure. Lets go with that. From the all the previous posts you have made about LoL and DOTA, lets go with what you just said.

Long, dramatic and utterly pointless thread in which you have posted the most and made the most long posts? Ok, sure. Lets go with that as well.

Pretty sure who the damsel in distress here is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culnar
    Sometimes people act like blizzard is their friend who betrayed them and now they're pissed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    Actually the backlash from pandas is because alot of the people didn't grow up.

1) MMR exists. Dota 2 already matchmakes based on skill level. Level 30 is essentially a grind with no purpose other than to draw out the process and try to sap money from people.
    So someone should start their MMR grind on day one of playing? Level 30 is there to give people time to experience and get used to the game before being thrown to the wolves and non-stop losing until you hit your current mmr.
    2) Hyperboles are fun. No such thing as 8 second stun, and if you fed a PA to that point then gg on your part. Whether or not you like champions stronger or weaker (Which is very dependent on the situation) is up to you.
    Fine, 5 second stuns, instant spammable flashes, etc, etc. You already admitted dota champions are by far stronger, and I view that as a bad thing purely for the fact that playing a game where everyone is overpowered isn't fun to a lot of people. It's like all rockets games in HALO 2, it's fun every once in a while but normal games are better.
    3) Compared to Dota 2 last hitting is very trivial in LoL. Animations are smoother, base damage is higher, and abilities can be used to farm easily. Last hitting in Dota 2 is more dependent on you being experienced with the hero.
    So having better animations is a bad thing? Being able to use abilities is bad? I really can't get your logic here.
    5) No, this is the fault of Riot also. Riot has done nothing to change the meta. Counter jungling is a new meta? No, no it isn't. It's an aggresive playstyle, that's all really. Riot releases champions to fit pre-determined roles. Instead of picking a hero for their strenghts and weaknesses, their attributes (IE, say, strong ganking, synergy with a pick bottom, and a good late game), you pick the best champion for mid (since everything is sorted by roles, there are always going to be a few champions who do best in that role). Everything is pre-determined and both Riot and the Community are stuck in this mindset. For example, Ezreal's W is too good in lane for trading against AD carries. What happens? Riot nerfs it because AD carries should always go bot and this is too strong. Why not sent a mage or someone else bot who doesn't rely on auto-attacks?
    No, it isn't RIOTs job to change the meta, they never made it in the first place. How long was ranged ad mid the meta? The current meta is changing towards duo top and AD mids again with early aggressive junglers more than sustain/end game junglers, etc, etc. Really this response in general shows that you either don't play the game seriously at all and just take general discussions word for everything, or don't play the game at all and just decided to make things up. PS: Ezreals W was nerfed because it was far too easy to land for the damage it did especially since it didn't shove your lane and isn't blocked by creep. Though if you really feel there is only a few 'best' champions for mid I really feel sorry for you, since mid is the position with the highest amount of viable champions looking at AP alone there are 23 of 27? Heimer, Fiddle, Zilean and to a lesser extent Brand are the only 4 ap mid champs that aren't played at tournaments or even popularly in ranked.

7) Which also means items have less of an impact. The item choices in dota 2 are much stronger and varied. QoP. The Anti-Mage getting out of control? Grab a sheepstick to shut him down for 3 seconds. You have a team fighting oriented team? Grab a Scepter for a much stronger Ulti. The items aren't used on a regular basis. You literally see IE every game on AD. Why? Because it's the only AD item in the game with a stat multiplier for AD carries. Same with rabadons. You never see items like Morellos or Soul Shroud because there is no reason to buy them. Item choices are much less diverse.
    So you think everyone should memorize a gigantic item database to know the best items to counter x champion in y situation? You think that a champions power should come from the items and not from the champion themselves? I agree there could be more counterplay options on items, but when you get into 3 second hard cc on an item you are delving into a realm where your item build is more important than the champ you pick, which is just wrong.

8) Well farmed and late game carries don't carry as hard as in Dota 2. There is much more importance placed on a late game AM than a late game Vayne in a teamfights. Good or bad, personal preference.
    I'll take my weaker champs that are still strong but don't run around winning 1v3 fights late game because someone thought letting everyone be overpowered was a great idea.

9) They are. Complexity doesn't have to be the stupid hyperbole you just said. Someone like Chen, BM, hell even Puck would be great in LoL. And yes, the heroes are pretty simple. There's a reason people literally joke: Bruiser top: Gap closer, on hit effect, CC, damage ability. When compared to Dota 2, champions really are very similar. Also, Firefox Ahri x Frost Irelia's face. Zyra and Diane's artwork. So similar lol.
    I guess the only part we really agree here is that they need to hire a new artist unafraid of making female champs that aren't pin-up girls. Some bruisers have the same potential, but given in far different ways. Using your example I wouldn't play Trundle who has those 4 things anywhere close to the same way I would play Olaf who has those 4 things, or Darius who has those 4 things, or Renekton, or Rengar, or Shyvana, or Riven, or Jayce, or, or, or... I mean honestly... your example is something people brought up just so they could bitch for the sake of bitching.

11) An esport scene supported only by the developer is horrible. Esports should be built around the game, not built by the game. Valve has hosted one tournament for Dota 2 a year. It has a vibrant and well supported esports scene with tournaments happening plenty of the time, backed by other organizations and sponsors who aren't Valve. I suggest you watch Travis's interview with Scarra and listen to a few of his concerns. Literally Riot's esport scene is controlled by Riot. This is bad.It isn't rocket science. Riot literally controls EVERYTHING about their esports scene.
    My point being that a developer giving the players a competitives scene that has also grown because of the players and not just the company like you would love to believe is actually a good thing. As much as I hate Blizzard I even have to give them props for attempting to keep arena alive since people like it. Would you rather watch some back alley VCR recordings of LoL tournaments set up by players? Also PS: last I checked RIOT is doing quite a bit with other companies to make these tournaments happen, it definitely isn't 100% riot and anyone saying so is merely tinfoil hatting. I mean I can't hold a job because the government controls every private business and everyone knows the government doesn't like people with brown hair...big brother controls everything man.
    Woo responses above.

Edit: Sorry, miscounted the number of viable just AP mids/mids period: Out of a total of 36 champs able to be played AP mid, 31 are viable, same 4 listed above are never really used along with Fizz and to a lesser degree Xerath. Somehow I forgot some of the super strong ap mid picks such as TF, Galio, and Ezreal.
    Last edited by Goatfish; 2012-09-09 at 08:41 AM.

The community is awful.. and if you're still kind of learning and OH GOD FORBID there are things (items/strategies/exact moment of spell usage) that you aren't aware of you get flamed and even reported.. How stupid is that? One mistake and the other players are already spitting nerd venom on you.. like wtf? Such communities should be dissolved, instead LoL supports them, don't even get me started on how the "tribunal" is far from anything normal in any normal game..
    At this point the owners are just trying to keep their playerbase so they can sell skins for $$ and would do anything for that.. at the cost of the learning player.
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't hate LoL, I just like DotA and HoN more.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Numeanor View Post
    - I don't like PvP where you can get killed during one CC duration (WTFROFLBBQZERGFEST). I actually hate those games. No time to respond if you are unlucky you get killed. If you play FOTM you can kill almost everyone. No thank you.
    That also happens in DotA 2. Also, most of the CC effects in DotA have a much longer duration.

- losing very badly from start of the game? Yeah wait 20 minutes so then you can press surrender and pray others will vote yes. If not watch into screen for some more time and waste your time doing nothing or just go and feed enemy so game is ended sooner.
    Isn't there still a group of people that actually want Valve to implement a surrender feature? They gave teams at TI2 the option to forfeit a game, so the option could be a possibility. And when the game gets out of hand to the point where the enemy team is spawn camping your fountain to spawn kill you instead of destroying your ancient to end the game...

- some champions can just ignore towers and roflstomp almost directly into your base. WTF?
    Aren't the DotA 2 towers weaker to the point that they can safely do that? Level 1 towerdives are possible in DotA, although they're a lot riskier to pull off in LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by Azurenys View Post
    The community is awful.. and if you're still kind of learning and OH GOD FORBID there are things (items/strategies/exact moment of spell usage) that you aren't aware of you get flamed and even reported.. How stupid is that? One mistake and the other players are already spitting nerd venom on you.. like wtf? Such communities should be dissolved, instead LoL supports them, don't even get me started on how the "tribunal" is far from anything normal in any normal game..
    At this point the owners are just trying to keep their playerbase so they can sell skins for $$ and would do anything for that.. at the cost of the learning player.
    That also exists in DotA 2, if you manage to get yourself into the Low Priority Queue.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2012-09-09 at 08:02 AM.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II