Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The main reason many dota/dota 2 players dislike lol is not in the game itself but in Riot and particularly Pendragon. If you don't know who Pendragon is, he works for Riot now but used to be deeply involved with DotA. Basically Pendragon started and ran the dota-allstars.com website that was the center of the DotA community for many years and was referenced to in the loading screen of every version of the dota-allstars map Icefrog made. Like millions of other people, I used to frequent the site and one day it was just gone. Pendragon had been hired by Riot and come to a disagreement with Icefrog (probably something to do with Pendragon flooding the site with LoL ads) and in response Pendragon deleted the entire website. Years worth of content (guides, fan-art, forum posts, news posts, features) gone, replaced by a letter from Pendragon where he insults Icefrog, threatens to reveal his identity and tells everyone to go play LoL. There's a lot more to him, but that should explain why dota community sees him as a huge fuckwad.

Then there's the issues people have with Riot, with them issuing exclusivity contracts to tournament organizers (IPL, MLG etc) to prevent them from hosting hon/dota2 tourneys and possibly attempting to issue exclusivity contracts to teams themselves. I personally can understand the company itself being the foundation and life support of the competitive scene of their game, but attempting to smother scenes from other games that have existed for 6-7 years is another thing.

I don't really care for the game itself or its players. For me it's just a watered down version of dota that I got bored of in a matter of hours even I had barely learned the basics. I might love it if I hadn't ever played dota, but going to a game with less... diversity in terms of abilities, items and builds would just feel wrong.

And to add to the guy before me, dota 2 is indeed a direct port of the old dota-allstars. The competitive scene is mostly the same as in old dota and it has existed for 5-6 years, and the meta-game has never stagnated to a point where it's just "pick these roles, go to these lanes" in every game, not in tournaments or pub games. That just isn't how dota works.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2012-09-09 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdpride View Post
    I really want to understand this.
    I've played lots of HoN, some DOTA 2 and now i'm playing LoL. I could say that LoL has all those players for the same reason WoW has: Easy to learn, hard to master. A good flowing game, controls are really smooth, you can run it on older PCs.

DOTA 2 is good game IMO, but i just can't stand those controls, they feel so clunky. On my first matches i could barely control my champion sometimes and took a lot to understand how to get my last hits and denies.

What are your opinions on this ? Why do people hate this game so much ?
    It's just a case of "let's hate because a lot of people play it" (Like WoW had) ?
    Personal preference. DOTA 2 feels a lot like WC3 since it's the spiritual successor, so to speak, to the original. That's why the controls feel different than league. League aimed for easy accessibility and less complex systems.

I don't think people hate the game, they hate the community and rightfully so. The only way to enjoy this game, for me at least, is to have a group up and use Skype. It makes it fun and gives you massive advantage. Even if you lose, it is still fun to joke around and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stylez View Post
    I don't think people hate the game, they hate the community and rightfully so. The only way to enjoy this game, for me at least, is to have a group up and use Skype. It makes it fun and gives you massive advantage. Even if you lose, it is still fun to joke around and have fun.
    THIS!
    I just hate to play with 90% immature little cry kiddies who will always start flaming right away from minute 1 onwards.
    And the moment you say something about their permanent cryflaming you will only hear "stop crying kiddy"...the irony
    CPU:i5-3570k@0,930V MB:ASUS P8Z77-V GPU:GTX 680 Lightning RAM:8GB DDR3 1600

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterisbest View Post
    Every post you have made regarding LoL and DOTA, you have clearly said that you don't like LoL's simplicity and prefer DOTA's complexity, from items to character abilities to everything else. If I start to quote, it make the post incredibly long. So if anyone is interested in knowing if Kurdiern never said complicated = better, please refer to his posts on your own. This goes the same to for you Kurdiern. Please refer to your previous posts.
    Ok then. I don't mind length. Go bring up some examples from my posts. Nowhere in this thread did I ever say that. Hell, feel free to look through my post history.

Valve tried to trademark the name DOTA which defined all MOBA's or ARTS back then. This would have given them the rights to genre not just the name. The name of the genre was later changed to MOBA and ARTS to avoid this confusion. If Valve trademarked the DOTA (genre), then Riot and Blizzard would loose rights to their games or anyone else. It was after the genre name change which made Riot pull out and eventually Blizzard after Valve and Blizz agreed that Valve wasn't going to trademark the genre just the DOTA game and Blizzard's MOBA will be called Blizzard DOTA or Blizzard Allstars.
    You have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. No. They tried to trademark the name Dota. That's all they did. It didn't "DEFINE" the entire genre, Riot had already released LoL calling it a "MOBA" to try and break away from that labeling. And even then, the term that Icefrog ad Dota players used was ARTS (Action Real Time Strategy). The genre wasn't called "dota." I can link you to multiple sources (first sentence) telling you you're wrong. Valve filed for trademark of the name Dota. 3 days after Riot counter-filed and then Blizzard came along because they were developing their own "Blizzard Dota." They eventually settled it and Valve got to call in "Dota 2" and Blizzard "Bliizard All-Stars." If you're going to try and talk about this shit, at least know the background and do some research if you're so uneducated.

Riot signed agreements with tournament organizations to make sure LoL is the only ARTS. How is that any different from what other game companies do? Why were the organizations stupid enough to sign such a contract when they know other MOBA's exist, especially DOTA which is bigger then LoL, and will bring in more cash/viewers? Riot's good business plan or organizations being stupid?
    It's different because they're the only ones who did it. Did HoN or Valve go to tournament organizers and wave money in their face to ensure they have no competition? It's a business move, but people still hate it because it's a dick move.

Puts your conspiracy theory to bed.
    How about you do more than get information from the source who is being accused. Note that he does say that there was a 'big miscommunication'. So this at least may mean that something was said in which these teams thought that they were not allowed to have teams in two different games. Otherwise, why would he acknowledge that there was a big miscommunication? Riot most likely considered and explored the possibility, talking to a few teams, but when they realized how fucking stupid this was, they dropped it.

"iNControL, SirScoots and Slasher wasn't the ones to 'concoct' this as many LoL-followers seem to believe, but merely the first to bring it up in a public setting.

This alledged rumor had been a hot topic for a lot of players during The International from the very beginning of it (approximately two weeks prior to Live on Three) as it so very much concerned them (current as well as future sponsorships).

These 'rumors' were started, confirmed and further developed by players and organizers who this would directly influence and was confirmed time and time again throughout the entirety of the tournament.

When this was then made public, a shitstorm abrupted; not just towards Riot Games but also vice versa against the very people who made this public knowledge as well as the direct competitor (Dota 2). Should there be any hint of truth to these rumors, which I personally full-heartedly believe there is taking into consideration how I know Riot has chosen to do business in the past and what kind of rules they have imposed on the MLG and ESL, it is painfully obvious that some organizers might be scared of the repercussions from the community let alone Riot Games themselves, should they choose to come forward with information confirming these rumors.

Alledgedly, the rule was that organizations could not have a League of Legends team participating in the upcoming pro circuit for Season 3 as well as a team in a competing game of the genre (ARTS/MOBA). Was the rule yet made public? Obviously not. Had all organizations been made fully aware of the intent to enforce this rule? Probably not. Had some organizations been in talks with Riot Games and been informed of these intentions? Very likely. Did Riot Games back off from the rule, before taken into effect, seeing the community's response? Most definitely.

Above questions are obviously assuming the rumor is true. Regardless of true or not, I'm actually pleased that the communities can come together about one thing, the only thing that actually matters: That the rule - if it ever did exist - would be ridiculously stupid."

-EG.Maelk

You don't hate LoL? Ok, sure. Lets go with that. From the all the previous posts you have made about LoL and DOTA, lets go with what you just said.

Long, dramatic and utterly pointless thread in which you have posted the most and made the most long posts? Ok, sure. Lets go with that as well.

Pretty sure who the damsel in distress here is.
    Just because I enjoy something doesn't mean I can't look at it with a criticizing eye sometime. Good to see those kneepads Riot bought you are getting good use.
    Last edited by Kurdiern; 2012-09-10 at 02:06 AM.

The main reason many dota/dota 2 players dislike lol is not in the game itself but in Riot and particularly Pendragon. If you don't know who Pendragon is, he works for Riot now but used to be deeply involved with DotA. Basically Pendragon started and ran the dota-allstars.com website that was the center of the DotA community for many years and was referenced to in the loading screen of every version of the dota-allstars map Icefrog made. Like millions of other people, I used to frequent the site and one day it was just gone. Pendragon had been hired by Riot and come to a disagreement with Icefrog (probably something to do with Pendragon flooding the site with LoL ads) and in response Pendragon deleted the entire website. Years worth of content (guides, fan-art, forum posts, news posts, features) gone, replaced by a letter from Pendragon where he insults Icefrog, threatens to reveal his identity and tells everyone to go play LoL. There's a lot more to him, but that should explain why dota community sees him as a huge fuckwad.

Then there's the issues people have with Riot, with them issuing exclusivity contracts to tournament organizers (IPL, MLG etc) to prevent them from hosting hon/dota2 tourneys and possibly attempting to issue exclusivity contracts to teams themselves. I personally can understand the company itself being the foundation and life support of the competitive scene of their game, but attempting to smother scenes from other games that have existed for 6-7 years is another thing.
    Doesn't sound like anything bad to me. Just business as usual. Riot is not in the business of promoting MOBAs, they're there to earn money. You don't assist a rival, you're supposed to crush them.

The part of Pendragon just sounds moar drama. Considering that drama involves pendragon rather than riot, you could hate him and still enjoy LOL really.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurdiern View Post
    Ok then. I don't mind length. Go bring up some examples from my posts. Nowhere in this thread did I ever say that. Hell, feel free to look through my post history.

You have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. No. They tried to trademark the name Dota. That's all they did. It didn't "DEFINE" the entire genre, Riot had already released LoL calling it a "MOBA" to try and break away from that labeling. And even then, the term that Icefrog ad Dota players used was ARTS (Action Real Time Strategy). The genre wasn't called "dota." I can link you to multiple sources (first sentence) telling you you're wrong. Valve filed for trademark of the name Dota. 3 days after Riot counter-filed and then Blizzard came along because they were developing their own "Blizzard Dota." They eventually settled it and Valve got to call in "Dota 2" and Blizzard "Bliizard All-Stars." If you're going to try and talk about this shit, at least know the background and do some research if you're so uneducated.

It's different because they're the only ones who did it. Did HoN or Valve go to tournament organizers and wave money in their face to ensure they have no competition? It's a business move, but people still hate it because it's a dick move.

How about you do more than get information from the source who is being accused. Note that he does say that there was a 'big miscommunication'. So this at least may mean that something was said in which these teams thought that they were not allowed to have teams in two different games. Otherwise, why would he acknowledge that there was a big miscommunication? Riot most likely considered and explored the possibility, talking to a few teams, but when they realized how fucking stupid this was, they dropped it.

"iNControL, SirScoots and Slasher wasn't the ones to 'concoct' this as many LoL-followers seem to believe, but merely the first to bring it up in a public setting.

This alledged rumor had been a hot topic for a lot of players during The International from the very beginning of it (approximately two weeks prior to Live on Three) as it so very much concerned them (current as well as future sponsorships).

These 'rumors' were started, confirmed and further developed by players and organizers who this would directly influence and was confirmed time and time again throughout the entirety of the tournament.

When this was then made public, a shitstorm abrupted; not just towards Riot Games but also vice versa against the very people who made this public knowledge as well as the direct competitor (Dota 2). Should there be any hint of truth to these rumors, which I personally full-heartedly believe there is taking into consideration how I know Riot has chosen to do business in the past and what kind of rules they have imposed on the MLG and ESL, it is painfully obvious that some organizers might be scared of the repercussions from the community let alone Riot Games themselves, should they choose to come forward with information confirming these rumors.

Alledgedly, the rule was that organizations could not have a League of Legends team participating in the upcoming pro circuit for Season 3 as well as a team in a competing game of the genre (ARTS/MOBA). Was the rule yet made public? Obviously not. Had all organizations been made fully aware of the intent to enforce this rule? Probably not. Had some organizations been in talks with Riot Games and been informed of these intentions? Very likely. Did Riot Games back off from the rule, before taken into effect, seeing the community's response? Most definitely.

Above questions are obviously assuming the rumor is true. Regardless of true or not, I'm actually pleased that the communities can come together about one thing, the only thing that actually matters: That the rule - if it ever did exist - would be ridiculously stupid."

-EG.Maelk

Just because I enjoy something doesn't mean I can't look at it with a criticizing eye sometime. Good to see those kneepads Riot bought you are getting good use.
    First of all you need to shut the fuck up about me trying to back up Riot. Because you are clearly not licking Valve's ass right now. I have criticized LoL MORE then you are doing right now, but none of my criticism was over the top like yours. For you everything Riot does is wrong, but you still aren't a hater.

"Valve and Gabe Newell responded to Blizzard's opposition by stating that the game being developed was a true sequel to DOTA and rightfully should have the moniker trademarked. However, the DOTA genre is still very much a term used to describe the three-lane tower setup of the classic DOTA map."

Do you not fucking understand simple English? If Valve went on with trading marking DOTA, they would have trademarked the genre. That's why Blizzard opposed it and once Valve cleared things up, they backed off. If Blizzard was developing "BLIZZARD DOTA", then it already had a different name, naming rights was not the only issue. Riot already called their game League of Legends, so they had absolutely nothing to worry about when it came to just naming rights. This had more to do with it then just the name of one single game.

You calling it a dick move doesn't make it wrong.

Riot MIGHT CONSIDERED the move to ask teams just to participate in LoL tournaments. It's JUST A RUMOR. They didn't go with it. Then why the fuck are you whining?

And you need to calm the fuck down or get the fuck off. Being taking your shit ass attitude for far too long. Why the fuck are you being so aggressive anyways? I didn't go on and agree with everything you said? Because this is the internet and you are a stud here? Some people. No one here is acting like you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culnar
    Sometimes people act like blizzard is their friend who betrayed them and now they're pissed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    Actually the backlash from pandas is because alot of the people didn't grow up.

Deleted
    You got the point. It's like WoW. It's the market leader. So it is hated. That is just normal. That is normal jealousy, but I really cannot tell you why guys do this. Those who do this are something like....yeah..."special"

Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    1) Nothing on that. It works for DOTA, not for LoL, so it just differentiates the games further.

2) You don't see that because it doesn't work most of the time. Great teams could pull it off, but a team of equal skill will beat you because the current meta just works better. Give DOTA time to mature and I guarantee something resembling a meta will come out of it.

3) Now Eve can't just bum rush you and has to plan her ganks. Twitch doesn't need stealth but it's a great way to get out of a jam or re-position for a kill. Shaco as well. Talon's is perfect for picking people off. It's not just hit W, then kill things cause they don't see you coming, until they buy oracles and you become completely useless.

4) Oracles elixir and vision wards. Support should always have one vision ward to clear around dragon and the jungler should always buy an Oracles until teamfights start, when the support starts buying it. Shut down their map awareness and ganking becomes easy. Most people don't expect you to stick around and still attempt a gank after clearing a ward. Some junglers even have ways to completely bypass wards. Noct ult, panth ult, shen ult, eve passive, Hecarim's sheer speed (not really bypassing the ward, but makes it useless because you can't react in time). If they decide to turtle, Skarner ult can pull them out, Malphite and Mundo can towerdive like a boss. And you don't have to gank from just River. Loop around and come from the side bushes if you get your ADC to push a little. On Hecarim you can run straight down the lane. Mid lane has the side paths to walk down that usually aren't warded and tri-bush is great for ganking top or bot depending on what side you are on.
    2) Except that Dota 2 is practically Dota which has been around since 2005. Meta-games have come and gone and what has it proven? It's proven that every single one of the laning setups I listed are viable.

3) Put it simply the new stealth fits into Riot's 'anti-fun' philosophy. Instead of adding more ways to counter stealth they just nerf it.

4) Summoner's Rift is much smaller than Dota's map and the paths leading to and from lanes is pretty straightforward. If the jungler isn't coming around from the river then expect them to be coming in from behind your turret or near theirs.

You got the point. It's like WoW. It's the market leader. So it is hated. That is just normal. That is normal jealousy, but I really cannot tell you why guys do this. Those who do this are something like....yeah..."special"
    This is the typical fanboy response. "They are just jealous of us!" I still play LoL once in a while and I definitely saw the appeal but it simply doesn't hold a candle to what Dota 2 offers me personally. To me Dota 2 has a much higher production value, a more experienced developer at its helm, it has a lot more diversity in heroes, items and mechanics and is more competitive in nature. Everyone has different tastes and all of the things I mentioned does add up for me. The more I played LoL the more I wanted to play Dota. It wasn't because LoL was inherently a bad game - it was more of Dota hitting the right notes for me.
    Last edited by Vannubsauce; 2012-09-10 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hatsune View Post
    Doesn't sound like anything bad to me. Just business as usual. Riot is not in the business of promoting MOBAs, they're there to earn money. You don't assist a rival, you're supposed to crush them.

The part of Pendragon just sounds moar drama. Considering that drama involves pendragon rather than riot, you could hate him and still enjoy LOL really.
    Please read carefully. I don't enjoy lol because I find it boring and monotonous after years of dota, but I and many others dislike the game because the of the company that makes it keeps pulling dick moves. Have you ever heard of other companies pulling similar moves? I haven't, and I might have to expand my original statement by saying that that is the reason a lot of people outside the dota communities dislike lol. And the part about Pendragon isn't just "lol silly drama lol", it's a huge part of dota history and community gone forever, and the person responsible still works for Riot in a high position.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    I don't see it.
    Link to the letter.
    http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=256734

Deleted
    The amount of bias and sheer ignorance in all these posts is too damn high.

It's two different games; stop comparing them as equal. None is superior to the other; both have their up's and down's. Yes, both. It's all about preferrence.

I personally feel LoL is better than DotA2. Some feel differently, both opinions are perfectly viable.

@Topic:

Most people hate the community rather than the game, and feel it ruins the game for them. They then proceed to hate, hate, hate on the game itself.

Then there's the pathetic ones hating for the sake of hating, and their followers just jumping on the bandwagon hating anything's popular without an actual opinion. Because, you know, hating is super cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the link. That really paints a different colour on the post by Hermanni (as in, he wasn't particularly correct in what he wrote).

I don't hate it, I actually quite like it, but the LoL community is probably the most bratty and unsportsmanlike I've ever seen.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hatsune View Post
    Popularity: LOL > DOTA 2

beta.xfire.com/games/lol
    beta.xfire.com/games/dota2

We can't compare financials yet since DOTA2 is pretty new but LOL is the poster child for successful micro transections. I was not able to find any PNL but estimates of their revenue stream suggest that they are pretty good.
    Whatever else DOTA2 may become, it is current inferior in both popularity and financial success
    According to X-fire, LoL is more popular than WoW, which is certainly untrue.
    Data pulled from some chat client which isn't widely used can't be considered a reliable source of information.

Back on topic:
    I dislike LoL mostly because I feel that it is a watered down version of DotA. Most of the stuff is oversimplified.
    And graphics are awful. I'd prefer old WC3 engine over that crap. I played around 15 games and couldn't stand the game any more. Simply, it's not my cup of tea.
    I dropped DotA for HoN, which I enjoyed for a long time until I finally got Dota 2 beta key. Never looked back since then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    people dont hate LoL, they hate the community
    While it's not great, it's better than HoN's, which will probably be Dota2's on release.

Problem for me is that lane pushers don't have the long term appeal I'm after. I can play 2 games, then I'm burnt out on it for another week. Best times for me were a few games of dota with freinds/guildys, but I'll need more than a moba to pull me away from CS or TF2.

Although I've pumped a load of hours into Super Monday Night Combat, which is worth at least 90 mins of everyones time seeing as how it's f2p too.
    Last edited by mmoc53a5d0407d; 2012-09-10 at 12:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you value your life, be somewhere else
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethora View Post
    According to X-fire, LoL is more popular than WoW, which is certainly untrue.
    Wut. 11.5m players is certainly less than WoW population? Okay.
    In Soviet Russia banks rob you! Oh, wait a second...

People dont hate LoL.

LoL has more players than HoN and Dota 2 combined.

The problem with some Dota 2 players and LoL is a close one to some midcores and LFD/LFR in WoW. LoL is a lot more accesible and easy to start to play (both Dota 2 and LoL are hard to master, but LoL is easier to start with).

Some people think accesibility is a bad thing because they like to feel special, so they bash LoL even when its a great game.

Dota 2 and HoN are great games, i just dont like the graphics (in Dota 1 and LoL you can perfectly distinguish champs on sigh, in HoN and Dota 2, because they are darker, you take a fraction longer to distinguish what's happening, an i dont like that because in a gank that's a big problem).

I also like bushes a lot.

Anyway, they are all great games, most of the people dont hate any of them, a very small minority bashes LoL.

Deleted
    I thought the community in WoW was bad, then I played LoL for a few matches with a friend and was horrified that someone actually wanted me to drown

Deleted
    The community, the game itself is quite enjoyable as long as you have a non-whining/elitist team. Sadly it's uncommon to find those.