Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Could you live without the internet? or smart phone for that matter?

Been a huge fan of broadband since '94 and It's scary to think how reliant I am on it now. To be honest the novelty of broadband still hasn't worn off and its been almost 20 years.

Never owned a cell phone so I'm up in the air about that. But I do see everyone and their toddlers walking everywhere with one in their hands and not paying attention to other people while they pretend to walk down a street.

Could you guys actually live without these inventions? I'm not saying they are bad or good.

I could live without a smartphone, I already do. The internet, not so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could. Life would just be a LOT more inconvenient and a LOT more boring. But yes, I could.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Sure I could live without the internet. Did for a short number of years. At this point, though, it would be a HELL of an adjustment.

I already don't have a smartphone.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a strict sense no, since it's my area of employment. In a general sense, of course.

http://www.theverge.com/label/offline

10+ Year Old Account
    internet...no...really..no...my phone easily :P

Deleted
    Could easily live without a smartphone, but it is awesome to have portable internet when your school schedule is online, and basically its alot easier to communicate that way.

I've never actually tried it since i'm just 17, but i can't even imagine how my parents generation lived, i think everyone would be able to live with it if your used to it, but a sudden change that destroys internet and shit would kind of ruin my life lol.

But i wouldn't suicide because of it, no way. - does that mean i can live with it?

Deleted
    I don't even have a smarthphone. Without internet, sure, but it would be very boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, because I basically live on the internet... No, I would not live without the internet.
    My smart phone on the other-hand. The only real use it gets is playing games during the boring times at work.

Edit: I'm not saying I would literally die, or kill myself without internet. But it would suck beyond belief because that's the only form of entertainment I have at home.
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2012-09-08 at 09:43 PM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Deleted
    I don't have a smartphone, but if you mean a telephone, well I rarely use it, no one calls me, no one messages me, I only use it as a watch to be honest and music sometimes.

About the internet, yeah I think I would live without it, since I have been 1 month twice without computer, I'm sure I would survive. I don't like to rely much on these things because you never know when they can let you down, so to speak. Like you make an appointment on the net or something like that, then the electricity goes out, or like you haven't paid the bills yet, something like that.

I use the Internet a lot really but I would survive without it lol.

Can I? Ofcourse but it would suck. Especially since I rely on the interwebs to communicate with my family since I live in a different country.

I remember some time last year when there was a problem with our internet which left us without for about a week until it was finally fixed. It was frustrating and boring and makes you realise just how much you depend on it. It's not only things like entertainement or gaming. Things like not being able to check your email bothered me more.

Not having my phone I would be able to adjust to much more easily. But I have to admit it's really handy to be able to check news or your email etc. anywhere, anytime. Wether it is because you need to or because you're bored or waiting around. So while I could give this up much eassier I still wouldn't want to.

I could live without the internet, but I don't want to.

Smartphone, easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

I had no cell phone for a week and its a pain in the ass to find a pay phone these days. Don't get me started on no internet access.

Can easily live without a smartphone as I already do, internet would be tough but probably doable.

I have books. A lot of books.
    And a library card.

Could I live without the internet? Of course. It's just so much easier to use the net; it grants you easy and quick access, and once you've mastered search engines... Everything becomes so much easier still. Online games are fun fun fun, but I play tabletop more, anyway. I wouldn't be bored without the internet.

A smartphone... I live without one already.

One thing I don't think I'd like living without, though, is writing software. The simplest things like 'backspace' and 'clicking your cursor into any bit of text you want' are irreplaceable.

Anyone could. What are you gonna do, blow your brains out because something happened to the internet? People would bitch and moan, and society would certainly be set back a good 25 years, but we would adapt. ADAPT OR DIE!!!!

Probably yes, allready do live without a smartphone. Would take some time to get used to having no internet tho

I could live without either, though I'd rather not. They're crazy convenient!

Imagine how productive I could be if I weren't always connected.

...that's kind of depressing.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I could never do it. Besides my job (software engineer) requiring a connection, I can't live without being able to check up on sites/emails through my phone.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would prefer not to live without the internet. I can live without a smartphone, don't have one now and don't care to have one. I'm old enough to know what life was like before the internet was even invented and the only phones you had were in your home. Kids today wouldn't know how to live or survive if they had to grow up in the 60's and 70's like I did.