Poll: Which is worst?

Thread: Certainties

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Certainties

So when I was younger, someone told me that there were two certainties in life: Taxes and Death. I'm wondering which one you guys find scarier?

Personally, I'm undecided. I mean death is pretty final but takes are re-occurring.

Why would taxes be scary? Filling out a tax declaration can be daunting at times, but it isn't scary.

Huh? Taxes are how governments are funded. The people as a whole consent to be taxed so that the government can provide them services. How is that scary?

Taxes pay for things - death sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I should rephrase this.... I suck at english >.<

Not scary but worst to you lol

umm, still death

10+ Year Old Account
    Death or dying? Death isn't scary as you're dead, but dying can be pretty scary.

Deleted
    Scary is that taxes are counted as certainty and there is nothing you can do about it. Or "born some thousand years too late to actually speak your mind and do something for or against it, before society is formed"

Taxes can't even be compared to death.

Taxes by so many miles.

I cannot empathize with those that fear death.

Edit: However, whatever pain ends up being associated with death does concern me.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-09-09 at 03:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Taxes by so many miles.

I cannot empathize with those that fear death.
    Why can't you empathize with a person who fears death?

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Why can't you empathize with a person who fears death?
    Because it's not scary to me. At all. Because of personal beliefs, which I won't go into.

I think it also has a lot to do with my experiences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Death scares me.

Taxes might benefit me provided the money is spent wisely.

---------- Post added 2012-09-08 at 11:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Because it's not scary to me. At all. Because of personal beliefs, which I won't go into.

I think it also has a lot to do with my experiences.
    To quote Tyrion Lannister, "death is so final." That's what scares me about it. Now I don't sit around quaking because I'll die in 80+ years (or hopefully more) but the thought is rather unsettling if I think about it too much.
    Putin khuliyo

I thought Death and Taxes disbanded in 2008? I don't find a disbanded guild very scary at all.

---------- Post added 2012-09-08 at 08:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GarGar View Post
    Huh? Taxes are how governments are funded. The people as a whole consent to be taxed so that the government can provide them services. How is that scary?
    I don't know your age, but kids tend to not care about taxes because they tend not to have to deal with family finances.

Once you get married, get a mortgage on a home, have some kids, and are trying to manage a shoestring budget, the threat of a new tax that could send you into the red gets scary. Its probably why people get more conservative as they get older.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    To quote Tyrion Lannister, "death is so final." That's what scares me about it. Now I don't sit around quaking because I'll die in 80+ years (or hopefully more) but the thought is rather unsettling if I think about it too much.
    I know my brother, who has been through so much, is terrified of death. He's said so every now and then. He's just scared. Most people aren't like that, they're like you, I think.

Taxes because they take them and use some of them to think of ways to take more, sometimes you pay them they claim you didnt and then want penalties for their errors.

Death is death, just die like a man, junk in one hand, bird in the other

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    So when I was younger, someone told me that there were two certainties in life: Taxes and Death. I'm wondering which one you guys find scarier?

Personally, I'm undecided. I mean death is pretty final but takes are re-occurring.
    That's how the old saying goes but taxes aren't even a certainty anymore, as long as your a corporation, no wait, corporations are people, but they make 14 billion and pay zero taxes.

They are only scary if you think about them, and no point in bothering with things you cannot control. It'll make your hair fall out.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pain. Eventually everyone will have to suffer through it, often a lot more than once. This endless, relentless emotional stabbing at your heart that you can't do shit to get away.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

Quote Originally Posted by Dassen View Post
    Pain. Eventually everyone will have to suffer through it, often a lot more than once. This endless, relentless emotional stabbing at your heart that you can't do shit to get away.
    Ain't that the truth. The world we live in has so much pain for everybody.

Great post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Taxes are known, an earthly problem. Death is not, no one knows what happens when they die, NOBODY.

I think 99.99% of the responses will be death.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.