Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    BMR = calories you expend without exercising.
    derp yeah, don't know what i was thinking there, bmr doesn't equal daily calorie needs, but it is used to figure what that is. That's what i was getting at.

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

Good luck! (and, effort!)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhrerbelial View Post
    Diet and lift weights + a little cardio. Stay away from high glycemic carbs, bread, sugary stuff, pastas, etc. eat lean
    proteins and lots of veggies, you'd be surprised how much you can pile your plate up with the stuff while still staying relatively low calorie wise. And count calories, it's very easy to go overboard. Drink only water and low-ish fat milk. Try to do some sort of strength training. Studies have shown that weight training is far more effective at burning fat than cardio. I think in the most recent one people who dieted alone lost only 30-45% of the mass they lost as fat. The rest was muscle. People who dieted and did cardio lost only about 67% of mass as fat, and people who dieted and did some sort of (full body) strength training for at least 30 minutes a day lost over 90% of mass as fat. You can go pretty low calorie wise, just don't drop below 1100-1400 (depending on your size). "don't go over 2lbs a week" is rubbish so long as your stimulating your muscles, and eating the right kind of food. Lots and lots of fruits and veggies. Keep it up and the lbs will melt away. Don't be afraid to cheat once or twice a week, but don't go and sit in an all you can eat buffet and stay from opening 'till closing! Good luck!
    Furrier was able to type it all out so I won't have to
    While *I* have never 'struggled' with excess fat, I have noticed that I've gained ~1lb each year over the past 10 (largely because I'd power through several pounds of jelly beans and candy hearts at various holidays... LOL); Back in '96, I had my 8-pack abs, and consequently haven't been too conscientious about body-fat, but I've been sit'n around 10% and decided to do something about it.

Though - by cutting out anything made with grains / starch / complex carbs, and anything containing sugar (even catchup and barbeque sauce, etc), I've been able to drop about 10lbs+ (from 198 to ~186lb) of body-fat (est.) since July. I've been continuing with weights through the summer (still benching ~300lb @ 5reps), but I'll get aggressive with it after Halloween so I can build back up to 400lb reps (may put me ~220lb @ ~5%bodyfat).

My diet has been 3 doses of Amino Fuel per day (3x15g), 1 can of 12oz Solid White Albacore tuna (2x45g), Casein protein (2 scoops = 2x25g), and a good solid dinner (~50-75g). I take in about a gallon of water each day, and ensure I still have plenty of fats, cheese, bacon, etc, so I don't burn my kidneys.
    I still have plenty of foods with fructose, such as fruits and vegetables...
    Est diet:
    ~225g protein
    25-50g fat
    200g carbohydrates
    = ~2k callories
    Additionally - absolute zero caffiene since before The Frag in '97; no alcohol, no pain-killers for 15+ years.

Several years ago, I went on a 54-week no-cheese/oil/butter/fast-food diet, though neither my cholesterol nor body-fat had changed a bit.
    ** Edit - Grammar
    Last edited by hythos; 2012-09-25 at 04:38 PM.
    Spacebar spacebar spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar dark-side.

Quote Originally Posted by hythos View Post
    Good luck! (and, effort!)

Furrier was able to type it all out so I won't have to
    While *I* have never 'struggled' with excess fat, I have noticed that I've gained ~1lb each year over the past 10 (largely because I'd power through several pounds of jelly beans and candy hearts at various holidays... LOL); Back in '96, I had my 8-pack abs, and consequently haven't been too conscientious about body-fat, but I've been sit'n around 10% and decided to do something about it.

Though - by cutting out anything made with grains / starch / complex carbs, and anything containing sugar (even catchup and barbeque sauce, etc), I've been able to drop about 10lbs+ (from 198 to ~186lb) of body-fat (est.) since July. I've been continuing with weights through the summer (still benching ~300lb @ 5reps), but I'll get aggressive with it after Halloween so I can build back up to 400lb reps (may put me ~220lb @ ~5%bodyfat).

My diet has been 3 doses of Amino Fuel per day (3x15g), 1 can of 12oz Solid White Albacore tuna (2x45g), Casein protein (2 scoops = 2x25g), and a good solid dinner (~50-75g). I take in about a gallon of water each day, and ensure I still have plenty of fats, cheese, bacon, etc, so I don't burn my kidneys.
    I still have plenty of foods with fructose, such as fruits and vegetables...
    Est diet:
    ~225g protein
    25-50g fat
    200g carbohydrates
    = ~2k callories
    Additionally - absolute zero caffiene since before The Frag in '97; no alcohol, no pain-killers for 15+ years.

Several years ago, I went on a 54-week no-cheese/oil/butter/fast-food diet, though neither my cholesterol nor body-fat had changed a bit.
    ** Edit - Grammar
    Good to know bra! Our lives are so much more enriched now that we have heard your story of orgasmic like bodybuilding.

i went from 220 lbs down to 190 lbs since february til now, my friend and i did p90x. granted i didnt follow the diet, but i stopped eating unhealthy food and since i only drank water any way it came natural. its all about how you eat and how much of that you can work off.

I have always foud the word DIET pretty unclear.

You can eat well but not the right stuff, diet is not always cutting the Mc Donals, the Pepsi and the cheesecake

I had a diet plan to loose weight and it was about not eating carbs stuff, avoiding (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, oatmeal, even milk) and avoiding sugar stuff like fruit, bbq sauce, fruit juice.

And the other diet plan was to bulk up, so I had to eat carbs

Have one cheat per week, drink water, eat *green* stuff, read the ingredient on package of what you are eating, you need carbs, eat your carbs in the morning.slice of bread) ( see moderation)

You have to eat to stay in shape, have the strenght to train,
    don't do like my friend, eating 3 apples per day, you gonna die.
    Last edited by Phuongvi; 2012-10-03 at 08:49 AM.

Don't be fooled by people who say diet is the only important thing (or more important than exersice).

The key to succes is a combination between healthy food (and less food) and exersice.
    Now there are a few things you got to take in consideration about sporting;
    - if you are heavy / obese don't go jogging/running > this is really bad for your knees and ankles. I would suggest to start cardio training in the form of biking.
    - If want to lose fat real effective you should go do some weight training (at a gym preferably to let them make a schedule for you). > Weight lifting increases your metabolic rate for the rest of the day , as cardio just for the moment your doing it.
    - Don't overtrain > always keep rest inbetween workouts. If you have pain it's better to rest instead of working out - dont push yourself.
    - Make sure to still eat healthy and enough for energy which you will need for your training.

Good luck
    (sorry for the spelling, English obviously isn't my native language.)

EDIT: at last by the way: Diet is so overrated > most of the time people will diet for a temporary time (i.e. untill they reached their body weight goal) and then goback to their normal lifestyle. So dont focus on diets it's important to change your entire lifestyle if you want to have succes for the rest of your live, and not just for 2 months or so, untill you'll fall back in your old ways.
    Last edited by Blazer; 2012-10-03 at 08:58 AM.
    "It's Better To Burn Out than To Fade Away"

This is what I need actually

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Don't be fooled by people who say diet is the only important thing (or more important than exersice).

The key to succes is a combination between healthy food (and less food) and exersice.
    Now there are a few things you got to take in consideration about sporting;
    - if you are heavy / obese don't go jogging/running > this is really bad for your knees and ankles. I would suggest to start cardio training in the form of biking.
    - If want to lose fat real effective you should go do some weight training (at a gym preferably to let them make a schedule for you). > Weight lifting increases your metabolic rate for the rest of the day , as cardio just for the moment your doing it.
    - Don't overtrain > always keep rest inbetween workouts. If you have pain it's better to rest instead of working out - dont push yourself.
    - Make sure to still eat healthy and enough for energy which you will need for your training.

Good luck
    (sorry for the spelling, English obviously isn't my native language.)

EDIT: at last by the way: Diet is so overrated > most of the time people will diet for a temporary time (i.e. untill they reached their body weight goal) and then goback to their normal lifestyle. So dont focus on diets it's important to change your entire lifestyle if you want to have succes for the rest of your live, and not just for 2 months or so, untill you'll fall back in your old ways.
    1) weight loss is 90% diet. While exercise can help, without a proper diet, your muscle can and fat loss will be limited.
    2) While I agree with the sentiment, the notion that cardio doesnt increase your metabolic rate for the rest of the day is ridiculous. All forms of exercise increases your post exercise oxidation levels. In fact, sprinting or HIIT are thought to be the best at this, not lifting. The reason to lift is primarily to increase your muscle mass which in turn increases your metabolic rate for the rest of your life. That said, without massive amounts of muscle gain, you really wont notice a great difference. The studies suggest each lb of muscle you gain burns 6-60 extra calories a day and each lb of fat you lose makes you burn 4-30 calories less.
    3) People need to push themselves through pain. Pain is expected and good. Don't push yourself through injury. If you cannot tell the difference between pain and injury, then I don't know what to tell you.

Dieting is meant to be temporary. It is normal to gain weight throughout the year and then shed it off while dieting. Most people who lift do bulking and cutting cycles. It is very hard to be consistently lean (single digit body fat) throughout the year no matter what you do.

Mind it that if you are still hungry after choosing a smaller meal, you can always fill up with something else and enjoy a wider variety of tastes in the process.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnowo View Post
    Although this seems like the only right answer, it's also wrong.

Three meals a day will leave you with 5~6 hours in between in which you *will* feel hungry. Instead, eat 6 to 8 smaller meals a day. Heavy breakfast, moderate lunch, moderate dinner with three smaller meals in between. These may even be protein shakes, slices of bread or fruit. Just get some in-depth nutrition information and you will loose weight in no-time.

And yes, exercise should be at about 4 times a week.
    Serious that is. Not some halfassed 1km walk.
    "you are also wrong" Where is that coming from? Dieting is full of broscience and anacdotes that you cannot really trust anything. Science has find out that as long as you reach essential proteins and fats it does not matter when or what you eat as long as caloric deficit remains.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStocket View Post
    "you are also wrong" Where is that coming from? Dieting is full of broscience and anacdotes that you cannot really trust anything. Science has find out that as long as you reach essential proteins and fats it does not matter when or what you eat as long as caloric deficit remains.
    I believe what he means is that it is right in that you will lose weight if you can follow it but wrong in that most people cannot follow such a diet. Current expert advice is to eat 9 small meals a day in order to reduce hunger as much as possible. I personally don't mind hunger after a week or so and it is easier to eat 3 500 calorie meals near the end of the day and fast in the morning.

10+ Year Old Account
    I weighed 340 pounds at one time.
    I'm down to 250 now.
    Best tip, is to quit drinking POP/SODA. Replace it with water at all times, water, and more water. I don't even like diet pop unless its Diet Rite pure zero, and even then I'm limited to 1 a day for lunch maybe.

It's hard to do but I like this saying, you don't go around the desert cart around dieting because then guess what, you'll cheat on your diet. Me right now I just got married I was down to 228 the wife insists on bringing in candy and chips all the time, its hard to not eat it.

Also for workout routine I used Beachbody's P90x it really changed my life and the way I workout. It really does work, if you can afford it I would get Shakeology too it will satisfy cravings. Remember it won't happen over night it takes time, you lose weight by the week not the day.

Me myself I'm trying to eat healthy again and I'm doing Insanity now, got a fresh batch of shakeology coming in. I also use a pre-workout drink to get motivated and get up on my feet. Really you got to educate yourself before you can really eat what your suppose to and beachbody helped me with that.

3 things that helped me lose weight and get the body I want are:

1) dont seek advice on the internet.
    2) you would hire a professional with a good track record and honest reputation to fix your car, is your body not worth at least the same?
    3) forget everything you think you know about health and fitness, conventional knowledge clearly hasn't worked for the 21st century. If dont wan't to look like everyone else, don't think like everyone else.

do sits up daily three times. for immediate weight loss

Don't troll
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-10-24 at 01:40 PM.

Reduce the sugar intake so stuff like cola and juice are a no go, this also means candy. Personally I have stopped drinking any drink which contains sugar.
    Never eat till your full, if you do that eat a bit less
    Get more proteins, according to my little brother proteins are the key to everything (for losing weight and building muscles)