Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Minecraft isn't a mmo in the traditional sense. Its more like a lego game that isn't just for kids, and has a few rpg-ish elements.

UO was easily the best mmo I have ever played, mostly due to it being completely open and unlike all our mmo's today you could pretty much do whatever you want in the world however you had to deal with the consequences. For example, player A kills a mob, there is nothing in the game stopping player B from walking over and looting it. However, if you do that, Player A is going to want to kick your ass, and if you die, he will not only get the loot you just stole, but everything else you have on your body.

RIP - hardcore world pvp like UO had will never exist again outside of little niche games.
    Yep, it's amazing how far from that MMOs have come. Now it's a great thing in GW2 that we all have our own ore nodes, our own loot, players can not affect our character in any negative way at all. Character interaction is promoted by giving us rewards for helping each other - not because that is necessarily what our character would do when not faced with the reward. The decision making and role playing process is completely stripped, we don't have a choice "who we are" in the world anymore.

Some of the most amazing feelings I had in any MMO was smashing douchebags when they were griefing a group and being thanked by real players for it. There's a world event that can't be coded.

"Without a worthy villian, there can not be any worthy heroes"
    Last edited by nightshark; 2012-09-10 at 10:59 PM.

That sounds awful... Like you said, the best part of MMOs is collecting delicious tears, whether it be from carebears or jerks, and most games just don't have a system in place for that anymore.
    http://www.evenews24.com/2012/05/07/...screw-newbros/
    Even people that play EVE and hate TEST Alliance will probably agree that this kind of story illustrates just why EVE is so great. Some asshole is a selfish jerk and ends up getting declared kill on sight and camped for a very long time. In EVE you don't die and just resurrect after a short time, you literally lose whatever ship you were flying.

I'm simply put off by the theme & graphics of EVE but tbh I haven't played it. I was thinking of giving MO a shot but it sounds like it is already dead. Gimme my sandbox with swords and magic.

Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    Yep, it's amazing how far from that MMOs have come. Now it's a great thing in GW2 that we all have our own ore nodes, our own loot, players can not affect our character in any negative way at all. Character interaction is promoted by giving us rewards for helping each other - not because that is necessarily what our character would do when not faced with the reward. The decision making and role playing process is completely stripped, we don't have a choice "who we are" in the world anymore.

Some of the most amazing feelings I had in any MMO was smashing douchebags when they were griefing a group and being thanked by real players for it. There's a world event that can't be coded.

"Without a worthy villian, there can not be any worthy heroes"
    You have a pretty skewed view on villainy if stealing mob kills/nodes is truly going to make your roleplaying character feel evil, maybe if you're going for a villain in a Saturday cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    You have a pretty skewed view on villainy if stealing mob kills/nodes is truly going to make your roleplaying character feel evil, maybe if you're going for a villain in a Saturday cartoon.
    Alright, how about the fact I've played both sides of the coin... in UO (UOSecondAge server) I murdered well over 2,000 (innocent) people in 2011 alone. Do I have a good view of what villiany is yet?

Using ore nodes/own loot was an example of how dumbed down we have come from the days of UO. Every player gets exactly what they want/need.
    Last edited by nightshark; 2012-09-11 at 04:32 AM.

Alright, how about the fact I've played both sides of the coin... in UO (UOSecondAge server) I murdered well over 2,000 (innocent) people in 2011 alone. Do I have a good view of what villiany is yet?
    Yes, the only way to achieve that is greifing. Such a horrible villain, stealing my herbs and killing a wolf I was trying to for me, oh no, but you're right, killing random lowbies, you are a dastardly fiend for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Yes, the only way to achieve that is greifing. Such a horrible villain, stealing my herbs and killing a wolf I was trying to for me, oh no, but you're right, killing random lowbies, you are a dastardly fiend for sure.
    What relevance does this have to the discussion, troll?

The "troll" bit was unnecessary. You can have a disagreement without resorting to name-calling.
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-09-11 at 08:07 PM.

What relevance does this have to the discussion, troll?
    He was just saying that your "villainous" activities was nothing more than childish griefing.

The real question is, why did you bring it up in the first place?

Deleted
    Eve online is exactly this, it is a hardcore sandbox game
    its so hardcore that you buy gametime from the auction house as an item and can sell it in game, but get this you have to transport it to the buyer, if you list in one auction house you need to arrange a delivery via another player or have the buyer come pick it up - and if you are carrying the gametime in your ship and get shot down you lose it.... and the other players can loot it...

there are stories of people losing $1000 worth of gametime, or peoples $5000 ships being destroyed

in eve players control regions of the map, they literally move there "guild" in fight of the enemy and take control - there was a video about a massive guild laying siege to a massive trade hub and killing every ship that left,

so yea hardcore sandboxes do exist still

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    Eve online is exactly this, it is a hardcore sandbox game
    its so hardcore that you buy gametime from the auction house as an item and can sell it in game, but get this you have to transport it to the buyer, if you list in one auction house you need to arrange a delivery via another player or have the buyer come pick it up - and if you are carrying the gametime in your ship and get shot down you lose it.... and the other players can loot it...

there are stories of people losing $1000 worth of gametime, or peoples $5000 ships being destroyed

in eve players control regions of the map, they literally move there "guild" in fight of the enemy and take control - there was a video about a massive guild laying siege to a massive trade hub and killing every ship that left,

so yea hardcore sandboxes do exist still
    Probably biggest issue is the fact you have to read so much stuff with barely any tutorial to just get started.

I miss UO -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Probably biggest issue is the fact you have to read so much stuff with barely any tutorial to just get started.
    Its not hard to get started, I did 3 tuts which tought me how to undock and then i went off on my own. All you need is a little bit of brains and the ability to google shit and your fine. THey redid tuts though so that they hold peoples hands even more. IF you cant figure out how to play the game its your fault and no one elses.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall View Post
    He was just saying that your "villainous" activities was nothing more than childish griefing.

The real question is, why did you bring it up in the first place?
    Bring what up? Murdering? Because he questioned whether I know what a villian is. Digglett's posts are nothing but sarcastic insults in the form of ignorance and add nothing to the thread.

Bring what up? Murdering? Because he questioned whether I know what a villian is. Digglett's posts are nothing but sarcastic insults in the form of ignorance and add nothing to the thread.
    Griefing is childish. If doing so makes you feel like a big boy villian, then I suggest you take a long hard look at your life. It's not my fault you're a low grade shit tier villain in video games.

And your own posts are snide little snipes at someone who's poking holes in your arguments. I'm sorry that you're angered by such a thing but the mature thing to do would be to go outside and stop arguing about online villainy on a forum about a video game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure Shadowbane came after UO.

What about Runescape?

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/content.php
    ;D
    I still hold this as my favorite MMO 9 years later. I wish there were more modern ones like it..
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Life Lesson #1 - People are terrible.

Don't let it get to you. It'll only spoil your own personal enjoyment if you do.

His guys, this is a friendly reminder to be nice to each other. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    What about Runescape?
    What about Runescape...