Thread: Cooking Nerf

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Unhappy Cooking Nerf

- The following Cooking Materials are no longer sold for Karma and are now acquired through drops, gathering nodes, or loot bags: Butter, Chocolate, Vanilla, Chili Peppers, Thyme, Black Peppercorns, Cinnamon, Bay Leaves, Walnuts, and Oranges.
    - Increased the karma costs of all Bulk Cooking Materials.

That's sad. At least I got to 400, but I should've bought more karma stuff...

Eh, more like a "leveling cooking fast" nerf. To be fair, it was insanely fast and easy to do compared to all other profesions. Took me an hour and under 1g (and below 1k karma) to gather the materials and go from 0 to 400, while I spent a week gathering the money and materials to hit 400 armorsmith.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Nerf?Yesterday I was farming centaurs for bags, and 9 out of 10 bags had butter and chocolates!!!And I have no cooking...I have armorsmith and weaponsmith..

it was pain in the ass to farm the fine materials before, now is super grind...no cooking isn't nerfed, 9 of 10 Dynamic events have centaurs/bandits and 9 of 10 bags that they drop with super high rate, have cooking materials.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Deleted
    I was wondering why is was getting piles of Cinnamon Sticks when hacking down trees. If you can get the cooking mats while going about my normal play then i like.

And I was thinking of leveling it up today.. awww. But then again it was strange that it was the only prof that didn't include rare mats that dropped of mobs.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering I picked up like a trillion sticks of butter and various other cooking items while leveling in Queensdale, I'm not overly concerned.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Nerf?Yesterday I was farming centaurs for bags, and 9 out of 10 bags had butter and chocolates!!!And I have no cooking...I have armorsmith and weaponsmith..

it was pain in the ass to farm the fine materials before, now is super grind...no cooking isn't nerfed, 9 of 10 Dynamic events have centaurs/bandits and 9 of 10 bags that they drop with super high rate, have cooking materials.
    What are you talking about? Ye, sometimes happens to find a bag, but cooking mats are rare as any other white thing you can find inside a bag, purely random. It's your illusion it's super grind, you was just randomly lucky to find so many mats. In the last 24 hours of gametime, i barely found 5 black peppercorns, and 2 butter.

Seems they nerfed gathering points too, way less available for the most useful to boost cook. They made a real complete nerf. Stupid Anet.
    Last edited by Lucas Ashrock; 2012-09-09 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    What are you talking about? Ye, sometimes happens to find a bag, but cooking mats are rare as any other white thing you can find inside a bag, purely random. It's your illusion it's super grind, you was just randomly lucky to find so many mats. In the last 24 hours of gametime, i barely found 5 black peppercorns, and 2 butter.

Seems they nerfed gathering points too, way less available for the most useful to boost cook. They made a real complete nerf. Stupid Anet.
    Obviously RNG is RNG, as for the person you replied to and as for myself we both got unlucky or lucky depending on how you look at it as far as bag loots and got mostly cooking mats from them... as in I opened 37 bags and 36 of them contained cooking mats, the only one bag that didn't contained ore, I was trying for cloth.

Just because your RNG has been more balanced doesn't mean some people haven't had really good or bad draws as to the RNG and gotten mostly cooking crap when they are not leveling cooking, or almost no cooking stuff when they are trying to level cooking.

I still had like 200 extra of each of them even though i was 400 becasue I overbought them just for later or something.

Went to sell all my stuff to make some gold and i saw that stuff was going for ridiculous prices, like 20copper a piece, I couldn't believe it, so I offloaded all of it and made about 4 gold...

Could not believe it, prices crashed soon after so I was happy I sold it before it went down in price, found out a little bit later this was why they were going for so much. But I was super happy, decided to convert it to gems and buy 2 character slots, saved up a tiny bit more and got my 3'rd so I got 8 slots now super happy, now I have every class for spvp.

It was good for me.

My only concern isn't for cooking, cooking is really easy to get stuff for now.. it's the only professions that relied on drops that these cooking materials are now coming from. I'm definitely having a harder time coming across some materials now, because I'm getting cooking materials instead (not exclusively, but the effect is that there's less of what I am trying to get when something else pops up in its place).

10+ Year Old Account
    Fucking butter. I'm trying to get Jute and instead 80% of the bags I get to drop have gorram butter in them. This isn't nerfing Cooking. This is nerfing any chance at getting anything other than butter.

Glad I maxed out cooking before the nerf for 20 levels in an hour. So good.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm going to have to say that's a buff... at first iwas flipping tables and scarring my roommates, but after playing i was getting TONS of butter and the such and was actually ending up with more of it then i originally was.

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 11:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laurix View Post
    Source?

/10
    I -think- it's on the GW2 site.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah. It's funny because now a lot of the items they removed (like Oranages!) I had no chance of getting before (too low level!) and now they're selling like water on the trading post. It's actually made it easier for me to get free levels from cooking.
    I keep forgetting that trading post is working lol!! I'm so used to it being down i just no longer check!! But yeah, i love how since everybody can harvest stuff the crafting matts are all super cheap (unlike in wow where a hand full of people can take control of the market on each server)
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post

Yes, it is a HUGE nerf, would you rather spend 8 hours grinding mobs, or 30 minutes porting to a few different karma vendors, then 30 minutes cooking stuff to go from 1-400?

One day everyone in my guild was ~150 cooking, I discovered the spreadsheet that was floating around that shows you how to go 1-400 with nothing but dirt cheap karma mats. By the end of the day like 10 people were at 400 cooking and had gained 5-10 levels from it.

I expected this to get nerfed, I could have stocked up on mats to level an alts cooking, but I think someday I will enjoy leveling cooking "properly" considering I have almost 1 of every type of mat for it now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah so that's why I get cooking crap from bags now. <_<

I never spent karma for that purpose anyway. Maybe, I should've. Now it is too late.
    They know how to milk the cow.

The good side is that this makes Cooking a bit harder to level, yes thats good because it was insanely easy to level. I rarely had to make the same recipe twice, just the discoveries alone got me most of the way. So, material cost was minimal. And then, almost all materials were very easy to get aswell.
    Either from the cooking vendor, or in bulk which were (and honestly still are) quite cheap if you know where the karmavendor is. The few times i had to grind a single recipe (peach cookie is one of those iirc) the materials were all vendor bought. Peach for a tiny bit of karma per 25, and the rest from the cooking vendor for mere coppers. It just leveld very fast, cheap and easy.

The downside is, now that some of these ingredients have been put into other places, drops have changed. Lootbags that previously contained fine materials such as claws now contain stuff like butter and chocolate aswell. Making the other drops just a little rarer. Which is a pain.

Personally i leveld cooking to 400 very early, and bought every ingredient in bulk. Whenever i found a new one id buy atleast 150. New cooks, well the TP is full of Butter and Chocolate and the sorts, think its as low as 10c. Granted, Butter is one of those ingredients you do use a lot of.