Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I can't remember that far back. I know I didn't vote for bush, voted for Clinton, didn't vote for bush, and voted for Obama...that's about all I can remember >.>

Wanna know why I voted for Obama? Because he's black. I would've voted for Hilary because she's a woman. Before I die, I want to see a black, non-christian woman as president, just to be the polar opposite of all the previous presidents.
    I want a gay pagan latino.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    I want a gay pagan latino.
    Indian Athiest Lesbian Female.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Haha, you're old OP.

Anyway:
    2000 - Lost my absentee ballot and couldn't vote
    2004 - Al Sharpton in the primary, either Kerry or Clarke as a write-in in the GE, can't remember
    2008 - Bamster in the primary, Bamster in the GE
    2012 - Didn't vote in the primary cause I'm a California Democrat, torn between Jill Stein and Bamster in GE. My vote obviously won't matter electorally for California, but I'm not sure if I want to risk throwing away a Bamster vote in case the popular vote count is close.

Damn, 4 elections. Looks like I'm old too.
    Yah, I'm old. Almost 40.

My top issue is obviously the economy. And I believe 4 years is enough time to evaluate the job a president does in that arena. I'm not scared to fire the current guy/party and try someone new.

---------- Post added 2012-09-10 at 08:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by etnitz View Post
    I find it interesting that no one knows that Reagan was actually able to completely turn around the economy AND produce almost two times as many jobs as Obama in 4 years. So, in other words, yes it can be done if there is someone actually able to lead this great country and knows what they are doing. my two cents
    You don't have to go back that far. The US economy collapsed in year 8 of Clinton's term. That was the dotcom bubble bust. George W. Bush inherited an economy going down in flames. He managed to stabilize it. Then another crash came in 2008. Why do you think I jumped ship and voted Bush in 2000 over Gore? Clinton/Gore had failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    You don't have to go back that far. The US economy collapsed in year 8 of Clinton's term. That was the dotcom bubble bust. George W. Bush inherited an economy going down in flames. He managed to stabilize it. Then another crash came in 2008. Why do you think I jumped ship and voted Bush in 2000 over Gore? Clinton/Gore had failed.
    The US economy didnt collapse because of the dotcom bubble burst. It barely felt anything. GDP only went down .3% and was affected by the Sept 11 terrorist attacks.

Q: The NBER has dated the beginning of the recession in March 2001. Does this mean that the attacks of September 11 did not have a
    role in causing the recession?

A. No. Before the attacks, it is possible that the decline in the economy would have been too mild to qualify as a recession. The attacks clearly
    deepened the contraction and may have been an important factor in turning the episode into a recession.

By contrast the current recession was a 5% decrease in GDP and Reagans was 2.7%. Also since the dotcom recession didnt start until 4 months after the election, I doubt that was the reason you voted for Bush.

92 Clinton
    96 Clinton
    00 Bush
    04 Bush
    08 Obama
    12 will vote Romney

Clinton in 92 because the economy tanked
    Clinton in 96 because the economy was doing well
    Bush in 00 because the the economy crashed in 2000 with the dotcom bubble, so change parties.
    Bush in 04 because the economy was coming back
    Obama in 08 with another crash
    Definitely Romney in 12 since the economy is just utterly awful, and Obama keeps trying to blame everyone else even though its 4 years later LOL. I don't buy the idea that Bush screwed up the economy SO bad that Obama gets eternal mulligans. Get in there and fix this or get out.

I guess you can say I subscribe to fire the head coach and giving someone else a crack until we find a guy who can get the job done.

Its interesting I've voted for the winner every single time heading into 12.
    That people base their voting on the idea that a President is effectively the sole driver of economies is an argument against universal suffrage.

---------- Post added 2012-09-11 at 12:18 AM ----------

Why do you think I jumped ship and voted Bush in 2000 over Gore?
    Because you vote on emotion and convenient narratives rather than coherent opinions on policy.

92 Clinton
    96 Clinton
    00 Bush
    04 Bush
    08 Obama
    12 will vote Obama

Loved Clinton, Voted for Bush twice because sadly he seemed like the better choice both times.

This election however is gonna be hard Obama is an idiot and going to force obamacare on us.
    Romney wants to ban gay marriage/abortion which I believe is wrong in a society that otherwise strives to give all it's citizens equal rights.

Decided to vote for Obama again because Romney also wants to cut the budgets of multiple government programs designed to aid those in need instead of just forcing reform in order to circumvent abuse of such programs.

In truth the only outreach program that should be cut is Disability because at least 90% of physically disabled people are still able to work in one fashion or another.

I don't understand, how hard is it for a president to end the war, acquire the federal bank to be owned by the government to wipe out some of the debt and then a few more additional steps to get US back on track? :/

Quote Originally Posted by Grinderofl View Post
    I don't understand, how hard is it for a president to end the war, acquire the federal bank to be owned by the government to wipe out some of the debt and then a few more additional steps to get US back on track? :/
    Clearly. Technically the US is out of Iraq, although we are still paying private security companies a ton of money for operations. Afghanistan we have apparently committed to building into a self sustaining nation (not on opium this time) which takes time and money.

Based on what I know Mitt Romney wants to do with the economy, I am more than willing to vote for Obama. Republicans are so stupid I am beginning to wonder how any of them could even begin to think they have a chance at winning an election... They cater to a minority (although in most cases they are the most powerful of individuals, economically and politically, upper class white people) which in the case of presidential elections is never going to allow you to win. Regardless of your policies, the majority of people will vote for the person who they feel is working towards their best monetary interest. In the case of this election, middle America, the middle-class, is the focus. Mitt Romney has openly stated that his plan is to cut tax breaks for the upper class. The majority of American's believe this is unfair, it won't revive our economy, and that, in an increasingly untrustworthy government, gives these upper class people tax breaks that prove the republicans have only the corporate "fat-cats" in mind. Why would you vote for Mitt Romney when he wont show you how much he's made? Or how his economic system would help the average citizen?

People in the USA believe that Obama hasn't done a good (or good enough) job. First of all, he started his term with second biggest economic depression in the history of the US on his hands, and in the midst of a "war on terror" that has proven increasingly difficult to perpetuate. Let's also not forget who started this war, a Mr. G.W.B. Not that I' against fighting terrorism, I just think organized military warfare has proven incredibly inefficient and at this point should be stopped to allow our special operations personnel to fight the war in a covert way. Regardless of these facts, Obama has been met with resistance by his political opponenents in every plan he's tried to bring into fruition. So sit here and bad mouth Obama's lack of policy change, say that he hasn't done enough, but also remember that the president is not a one-man-show. Having a cooperative house/senate/judicial system makes all the difference. Peopl tend to forget the president doesn't get to come in and change whatever he wants, whenever he wants. There are rules and regulations that require 2/3 of the house and senate vote "YES" on a bill for it to even reach the president.
    Last edited by Eaglehorn; 2012-09-11 at 04:55 AM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I find it interesting that people try to translate politics from the 1980's to 2012.
    i find it interesting that when people do not learn from history they are doomed to repeat it.

Voted for Bush in 04, first election where I was old enough to vote. I haven't bothered with it since then.

Being a conservative in CA there's really no point in voting for president. Only two republicans have ever won this state... Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan.

Perhaps if we were on more of a popular vote system I would do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    08-Obama
    12-Obama
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.- George Carlin

92 - Bush
    96 - Dole
    00 - Bush
    04 - Bush
    08 - McCain

Never voted for Clinton because my family was from Arkansas, and I knew that he damn near bankrupted the state so why would I want him running the country? Didn't Vote for Obama because well, I just don't agree with him about anything.

---------- Post added 2012-09-12 at 11:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sophos1 View Post
    I'm amazed anyone thinks Romney has any fucking clue at all. "Borrow money from your parents to start a business."

Its not worse than Obama's " lets take everyone elses money and then you can start your business ".

08 - Didn't vote. Didn't agree with Obama, didn't like Sarah Palin. I would have voted Clinton if she would have won. Seriously, she won the country in my opinion for 8 years already....

Anyway.

12 - Not voting for anyone, but if I was put at gun point, I would choose Obama over Romney, but even then I would not be happy with it. :\ Everyone I liked didn't get the nomination.