Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Cloning, good or bad?

Do you think cloning humans would be a bad thing? Especially if it's used in the military sector?

Deleted
    depends.
    as long as they are treated as equals, have the same rights, and not used as "Cannon Fodder" then I would have no issues with cloning.

"In the military sector"? You mean, a Clone Army? :P

Militaries already have to pay enough just to keep the soldiers that enlist/get conscripted as young adults. Can you imagine how much more expensive it would be to actually raise your soldiers from birth? It's not economical to have to sustain an "unproductive" soldier for over sixteen years, even if you cut all corners (education and entertainment while growing up, for example) and the cloning process itself becomes cheap as dirt.

And that's without even touching the huge human rights can of worms this thing would open.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Deleted
    Bad, real bad. If you raise people just to be cannon fodder you dehumanize them, you won't think twice about sending them off to war.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
    Do you think cloning humans would be a bad thing?
    All depends on what for. As a baby for rasing (same-sex couples, perhaps) normally? Don't see anything wrong at all. For lab? Utterly unethical.

Especially if it's used in the military sector?
    Absolutely wrong. Cloned humans are still humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't have issues with cloning to be honest.

I'd even get a female clone of myself.

And fuck it.

Refrain from taking this in the wrong direction, please
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-09-07 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkis View Post

And fuck it.
    sixth post. Honestly, I'm surprised it took that long.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

It is bad.

Despite what the Pokemon movie taught you guys it is still bad. The problem with clones is they come from already damaged DNA. With a normal conception DNA gets mashed together to create a "fresh" new genome. Every time the cell splits in 2 new there are small "errors". These errors cause Aging. If you clone a old person his already damaged DNA will reduce the life expectency of the clones as increase their risk of cancer and other illnesses.

TL;DR - Cloning is bad for the clones.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you think cloning humans would be a bad thing? Especially if it's used in the military sector?
    It's bad. Too much power.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sign me up for a clone any day.

Imagine having yourself as a friend. All the stuff you like doing, your clone will like aswell. Gaming, watching movies and tv shows, going out, doing sports etc., you can share all of that with someone that loves or hates it just as much as you do. It's the perfect friend.

If cloning ever becomes a reality though, it will most likely be as shown in The Island.
    Last edited by Statix; 2012-09-07 at 02:39 PM.
    Statix will suffice.

Deleted
    Don't think they would be treated equally imo, i think people will always see them as lesser beings!
    And then a clone of who? where do they get the DNA from? i wouldnt wanna see 10 of me walking outside
    unless its in the resident evil way movie way, thats cool

Deleted
    Depend on what their purpose of being cloned is. Like some people here said, if it's for wars and be used as decoys or cannon fodder, then I think cloning people for that would be horrible and inhumane.

10+ Year Old Account
    It worries about what we'd do. Is a clone a real human being? How would they fit into our world, fully matured but lacking any experience or memories? Could this thing replace the real me, and if so, which is the real me?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It worries about what we'd do. Is a clone a real human being? How would they fit into our world, fully matured but lacking any experience or memories? Could this thing replace the real me, and if so, which is the real me?
    I guess you have to wonder is if they will be able to clone everything! i heard fingerprints are always diffrent, it has something to do with how the fetus moves his hands in the Amniotic fluid. So if thats actually true the real you would be identifiable. as you would be the first and only registered person with those fingerprints!

Deleted
    You cannot clone people in any other way than babies. And even those have to be concieved, not grown in a tube.
    We're far far far away from being able to make a fully functional, grown human, without a womans womb for it in which to grow. The amount of things that you'd need to control, to understand, are immense. The factors that have to be put into it are just too much for me to write about.

We're much closer to creating artificial life through technology, like robots and humans with robotic parts. Infact, there's such a thing as mechanical arms that react to nerv signals already. They can even be used to feel with.
    Expect to see robots, androids and human augmentation long before you see a cloned human that nothing is wrong with.

---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 04:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Having a twin is like having a clone. And twins aren't the same person. There's no existential quandry to be had about that. A clone of you wouldn't be you in any other way than genetics. How that clone develops into a person will be completely different to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    uhm, i think cloning could be a good thing.. for medical purposes. cloning a complete human? might not be. id support trying to clone body parts to replace those that have failed in some way. and if it cant be cloned hopefully we can make a mechanical replacement. but cybernetics seems more within our grasp than cloning.

ask me again in 20 yrs.. i might have a different answer. we have grown tremendously in just a tiny space of time. what i thought would never be possible 20 years ago is being done today.. imagine what we'll be doing in 20 years from now.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2012-09-07 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. It would cause an extreme imbalance of power and inevitably be used as cannon fodder, which is very very bad and inhumane.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    uhm, i think cloning could be a good thing.. for medical purposes. cloning a complete human? might not be. id support trying to clone body parts to replace those that have failed in some way. and if it cant be cloned hopefully we can make a mechanical replacement. but cybernetics seems more within our grasp than cloning.

ask me again in 20 yrs.. i might have a different answer. we have grown tremendously in just a tiny space of time. what i thought would never be possible 20 years ago is being done today.. imagine what we'll be doing in 20 years from now.
    How do you clone a body part though? don't you need a human for that first, i doubt you can just magically clone a limb out of nowhere
    and cloning humans for bodyparts is kinda inhumane

Quote Originally Posted by Darkis View Post

And fuck it.
    would that be incest or masturbation?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    How do you clone a body part though? don't you need a human for that first, i doubt you can just magically clone a limb out of nowhere
    and cloning humans for bodyparts is kinda inhumane
    well.. im not really sure of the answer.. but i want to think we could reproduce the conditions needed to make a heart grow, or a kidney. or a lung. i didnt mean grow a human and then chop its arms off, and try to sew them onto somebody that lost theirs.

edit: we can keep those organs alive, so thinking there could be a machine to allow growth isnt too far fetched. not to mention preemies can be incubated while it grows. so uhm, replace a baby, with just a heart and grow just that.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2012-09-07 at 03:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.