Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I have always used same email, sometimes used a different password, never been hacked in my life. As has my friend, he does same thing and has for 40 years with no hacks, Dont NEED a diff email for a stupid game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    MMO-C has your IP you know, all it takes is one contact to the offender and they can get your IP unless you're behind a proxy.
    Which most smart people are, if they set their networks up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylecat15 View Post
    I have always used same email, sometimes used a different password, never been hacked in my life. As has my friend, he does same thing and has for 40 years with no hacks, Dont NEED a diff email for a stupid game.
    I guess, since nobody has every broken into your home/apartment, you can just leave the door unlocked at all times.

INB4 stupid: In this case, you are considering a closed door to be secure enough to prevent home robbery, which is the same thing as relying on nothing more than a supposedly amazing password that you use for each and every account. It may as well just be a door knob.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-09 at 07:21 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Peanuts considering how many Blizzard accounts get hacked:

Here are the official Blizzard announcements since their launch:

Mar 2005: 1,000 accounts
    Dec 2005: 18,000 accounts
    Apr 2006: 5,400 accounts + 10,700 temp banned
    May 2006: 30,000 accounts
    Jun 2006: 59,000 accounts
    Oct 2006: 76,000 accounts
    Nov 2006: 105,000 accounts
    Mar 2007: 100,000 accounts
    Apr 2007: 114,000 accounts

Blizzard was banning approximately 100,000 accounts EVERY MONTH until they abruptly stopped making announcements. It's now been 3 years since they have made any official announcements regarding player banning, even though the banning still continues to happen.

Well, of course they stopped making announcements. Nothing shakes customer and investor confidence like knowing over a million accounts per year were being banned! =]

* UPDATE:

In May of 2008, it's estimated that Blizzard banned 350,000 to 500,000 accounts over a 3 day period in one of the biggest ban waves ever (most Glider accounts were associated with this ban).

Blizzard never made any official announcements regarding this ban though. It's not unheard of though for Blizzard to ban several hundreds-of-thousands of accounts. Remember when they banned 320,000 B.Net accounts in Apr 2010 and 350,000 B.Net accounts in Nov 2008?
    http://daeity.blogspot.com/2010/08/b...n-numbers.html
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post

How are "banned" and "hacked" identical? Or did you just want to post some unrelated quote here...?
    Last edited by reckoner04; 2012-09-09 at 07:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Remember that they have e-mail authentication. Which works exactly like a physical authenticator, except with your e-mail. You don't have to worry about losing some physical little doodad, or having it eaten by the dog, or having to wait to get one mailed to your place, let alone paying for one (however cheap they are).

At that point, you need to use your e-mail account's security, which is very easy to do with Gmail, thanks to their two-step authentication. So, in a way, GW2 has three layers of security, while WoW only has two.
    no no no no... if the people are dumb enough to use the same email/password for GW2 and for some random site... then chances are it's the same password for their email, and not everyone uses gmail... i don't. Using Blizz authenticator for WoW and D3 i've never had my account compromised. And to lose your ipod/iphone/smart phone you must be pretty stupid (stolen is another issue), eaten by a dog? really... i have never heard that before, again... knock it on the floor and the dog runs off with it instantly, your own fault. All you are trying to do in this post is compare it WoW, by trying to belittle the Blizz authenticator... which really, despite bull shit reports prevents accounts being compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    but this is just a bloody game, not my bank account ffs, most of the people don't give a damn about it.
    Having new e-mail for everything, new pasword and what not, is madness.
    I DON'T SEE WHY I SHOULD HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO AVOID GETTING HACKED. OMG IT'S TIME AND EFFORT. I'M FAR TOO ENTITLED TO SPEND TIME AND EFFORT ON SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE MY LIFE EASIER. IT SHOULD BE GIVEN TO ME ON A PLATE.

/eyeroll
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Even if those numbers are correct, I would fully expect a game released in 2012 to have FAR better security on the part of the developers than a game released in 04 when this kind of behavior was far less prevalent.

And that site... always seemed so conspiracy theory heavy.

Remember that they have e-mail authentication. Which works exactly like a physical authenticator, except with your e-mail. You don't have to worry about losing some physical little doodad, or having it eaten by the dog, or having to wait to get one mailed to your place, let alone paying for one (however cheap they are).

At that point, you need to use your e-mail account's security, which is very easy to do with Gmail, thanks to their two-step authentication. So, in a way, GW2 has three layers of security, while WoW only has two.
    Sorry but I agree with above posters. There's no way email can match the setup Blizz/Sony are using with authenticators. You are trying (and failing badly) to cheapen their use/make them inconvenient. There's no hassle in keeping a lump of plastic on your keyring/desk/desk drawer. If there is you use the mobile version.

Email can happily be compromised, if you develop a keylogger problem they CLEARLY have access to your email too. Email can be guessed from password pulls at other sites too.

If you are trying to point score the authentication methods Blizz (and maybe Sony) do this (an email + account lock when you log in from a new computer/location) in addition to the Authenticator. I'm not sure you completely understand how the authenticator works or you'd perhaps yield on this one.
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2012-09-09 at 07:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    How are "banned" and "hacked" identical? Or did you just want to post some unrelated quote here...?
    Because these are the accounts they said they banned for ToS violations:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/9...t_Accounts.php

Therefore the rest are hacked.
    Valar morghulis

Because these are the accounts they said they banned for ToS violations:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/9...t_Accounts.php

Therefore the rest are hacked.
    That article seems to indicate botting more than hacking, as the cause of account bans. You don't need to have your account hacked to be a botter.

What is the relevance to Blizzard exactly or the OP's articles?

The Ars Tecnica article specifically cites "hacked" accounts and reported hacked accounts. Whereas we don't have any basis from your provided link on how many of those Blizzard "bans" were due to hacked or compromised accounts. In fact, the article you linked is on about a different subject entirely.

Many such "bans" are done due to to gold sellers. Which again, are not necessarily "hacked" accounts. Many are simply dupes or multiple accounts logging in from the same area or IP. Not uncommon as I can tell you from firsthand experience as it was my job to do that for a game publisher for a couple of years.

By the charts listed in the post you quoted it actually looks like Blizzard are doing pretty good over that span of 2 years. Esp. when you consider Blizz are little fish compared to the massive eastern MMO market and pubs like Nexon and PWI.

Not sure why Blizzard's bans are at all relevant to an article that is admitted by the author to be built on table napkin metrics.

^this

Sounds like 11,000 accounts that very much deserved to be hacked.
    The level of fanboyism you are displaying, young Drake, is overwhelming - and not just now, mind you; I've noticed you around. On topic, their security IS shit. No amount of asskissing on your behalf will change that.

Deleted
    Well, of course they stopped making announcements. Nothing shakes customer and investor confidence like knowing over a million accounts per year were being banned! =]
    Also: Many of the accounts were stolen accounts, so they were unbanned again once the original owner was back in control - with the help of customer service. (That is a lot of expensive customer service work...)
    I guess it made sense to announce the bans, back when we all thought it was bots, farmers and gold sellers who created the accounts.
    Once it became clear that they had moved on to stealing the accounts and then using them for nefarious purposes, it no longer made sense to proclaim how many accounts got banned each month, when most got unbanned again the next month - or the same month...

On topic: I am appalled at the security features provided by Arenanet, but even more appalled at the near IT-illiteracy level of security employed by some players.

"It's just a damn game - no way am I using another email".
    Well, try saying "It's just a game" when your account is stolen... That's when you realize that it was more than "just a game". That it would have been worth the miniscule hassle.
    Last edited by mmoc7805351bd4; 2012-09-09 at 07:38 PM.

Deleted
    Using unique passwords is not hard. Password and pAssword are different enough that this method of hacking will never get your accounts. Also setting up new emails for each site you register to, then just having them forward any messages to your proper e-mail takes about 5 minutes.

I'm with Drake, to be honest. Some people really do deserve it.

I haven't even been able to log into my account once yet - due to computer problems meaning i've been without my pc for 5 weeks. Despite this fact, and me using a unique, strong password, my email address has still been changed from the original used for my guild wars 2 account, and there's no way for me to recover my password, enable email verification or change my email using the guild wars 2 website - It's apparantly all handled by the client.

This is frankly woefully inadequate security in my opinion, the email and password combination i use on this website - and i only use this website to browse gaming forums - are completely different to what I registered in game.

I would feel a lot better with a physical authentication service attached to my accounts, since they make life so much harder for the "hackers" and would also be relatively impossible for one to log into my account and use it when I haven't even been able to use the account once myself

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalfrezi View Post
    And to lose your ipod/iphone/smart phone you must be pretty stupid (stolen is another issue), eaten by a dog? really... i have never heard that before, again... knock it on the floor and the dog runs off with it instantly, your own fault.
    Please think before you vomit:

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 02:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    Email can happily be compromised, if you develop a keylogger problem they CLEARLY have access to your email too. Email can be guessed from password pulls at other sites too.
    http://support.google.com/accounts/b...&answer=180744

Easily? No. If you aren't already using Gmail, it should be. It's better than all other e-mail services, hands down.

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 02:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CHNurf View Post
    Password and pAssword are different enough that this method of hacking will never get your accounts.
    Incorrect. That's only two bits difference. Checking for different capitalization is one of the first things a hacker will check for.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    I only started to secure my emails even more after my World of Warcraft account got visited. They didn't change password, or email, they only changed server and took my gold, so it was easily fixed.

I used the very same e-mail and password on like 10 other different websites. I'm just glad that the damage was small and easily fixed within 20 minutes. Now with Guild Wars 2, I got a complete new email, with a pretty hard password that I have trained in my head now, and I do only use it for Guild Wars and nothing else.

I thought ''No one will want to hack little me who is 1 on a 9 million scale'' but I was wrong, and now learned my lesson, and I think people should learn that too.

Not that being hacked is fun, and it shouldn't happen, but if people really are serious about their account and the game, they should consider it's safety.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    The level of fanboyism you are displaying, young Drake, is overwhelming - and not just now, mind you; I've noticed you around. On topic, their security IS shit. No amount of asskissing on your behalf will change that.
    There is nothing "fanboy" about my response. If people are stupid about account security, they deserve to get hacked, period. Doesn't matter if it's GW2, SWTOR, WoW, their bank, their cell phone, or the combo lock to their shed in the backyard.

The "fanboy" response would be to stubbornly cling to VASCO authentication as the absolutely most perfect and unhackable form of account security, and to believe that it's the only form of authentication worth using, when e-mail authentication, backed up by a properly secured e-mail account, is just as strong.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-09 at 07:45 PM.

Deleted
    ive made a new hotmail only for gw2 and a totally random PW that ive never used before

There is nothing "fanboy" about my response. If people are stupid about account security, they deserve to get hacked, period. Doesn't matter if it's GW2, SWTOR, WoW, their bank, their cell phone, or the combo lock to their shed in the backyard.

The "fanboy" response would be to stubbornly cling to VASCO authentication as the absolutely most perfect and unhackable form of account security, and to believe that it's the only form of authentication worth using, when e-mail authentication, backed up by a properly secured e-mail account, is just as strong.
    I think you had a pretty good post a while back as to what you used for security. I tried it out, and welp, I didn't get hacked when the latest batch rolled around. But I also hope that everyone here that did have it happen gets it sorted out.
    <-- That is otterly adorable.