Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cool GW2 PvP Discussion

Didn't find any threads on this site about it, so figured I'd start one, and get some opinions on how PvP is turning out for GW2.

Heres some of my observations so far, please feel free to add/discuss.

Pros:
    -I LOVE the equal gear aspect. I've been wishing WoW would move to that idea for years.
    -Fun, new game, that feels good to play. (unlike swtor which felt clunky with the whole ability lag thing)
    -Tons of customization still, with the myriad of gear to choose from, what weapons, runes, sigils, traits to use
    -Upgraded pvp gear for vanity, distinguishes you as a badass, yet doesnt give you a stats advantage.

Cons:
    -For the BGs, all maps are more or less the same. Something other than points to capture on every map would have been nice for the sake of variety.
    -There needs to be some Diminishing Returns on CCs IMO. Saw a duo just wrecking anybody that came to a certain point, because of the ability to chain knockdown.
    -Probably needs to be some class balance, since you can make a toon and PvP within like 5 minutes, people can play whats strong. That being said, most games have literally only 4 classes. War, Mes, Thief, Ranger.
    -I think the "downed" status is cool in the world, and in a PvE environment, but sucks a fat one for PvP.
    -It makes 2v1 fairly impossible, You cant leave someone downed, or they'll CC, pepper you with some damage, possibly rally, and you're mega screwed.
    -Just an annoying mechanic in a pvp environment. (BRB trying 3-4 times to finish off a thief)

Lets hear some others thoughts.
    Do you like daggers?

Better system. Currently the one I'm looking at is just messy. You talk to the guy and he just smacks you with a list of servers. Most of the time, the servers that are apparently having free slots are actually full. And the play now button doesn't seems to be working for me most of the time if ever. What they need to do is implement the names of the maps instead and a random option. Then you just pick which you want and queue up, would be much more better looking and easier.

Maps are quite different in my opinion , each one of them have a mechanic that is crucial and makes it different (neutrals/bosses/trebuchet/cannon+underwater)

DR again is not needed imho as we have a boon named stability(which i can keep up for 26-27 seconds if i wanted on my warrior) , buttloads of stun removal skills and condition removals (slows/roots are conditions)

I am not a pro on pvp but as far as i read only class considered underpowered is mesmer atm ( still annoying though ) , at low skill lvls 100blades warriors , hearseeker spamming thieves , strafing rangers or mesmer illusions can be devastating but i believe with proper management of defesive skills and some good dodging skills they become much less powerful ( not that i am at that lvl i am still getting wrecked by pubstomp builds sometimes)

Downed state is mostly annoying especially the likes of thieves and elementalists (when it is a warrior i know he is gonna knock me down at the end of the animation or the same thing about guardians etc) when its unpredictable, but its fun when you step in and res a friend when he is about to be finished by 2 others

What makes me sad is if it is true that you cannot go hot join with your party/friends , i need to be informed about that first before i can qq

Edit: Play now option has "always" worked for me maybe it has to do with servers or something i am not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Anaralah View Post
    What makes me sad is if it is true that you cannot go hot join with your party/friends , i need to be informed about that first before i can qq
    This, also.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually like the downed state, as it gives an extra tactical consideration. It's not that hard to actually kill someone, even if it's 2v1. I dislike that the downed skills have such differences in terms of power.

And I think the maps are different enough. I like that they chose for objective based gameplay, as it allows for more "archetypes" and gives more strategical options. Most players in 8v8 don't really seem to grasp this, deciding that Team Deadmatch is the easiest way to victory... (And it never is.)

I haven't done any 5v5, unfortunately, but I think that 8v8 might be a little too much, because it makes attacking to powerful as opposed to defending. I know Arenanet wants offense to come out on top, but in 8v8 I think it's a little to strong.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I would like the downed state if it was balanced. But some professions downed states are extremely OP and then some that are incredibly horrid. As for anything else in sPvP, I love almost every aspect.

As far as wPvP, I wish there was some sort of system for travel purposes. Because I find myself choosing utilities and weapons that can give me swiftness and I often am not prepared with the utility and weapon that I like for a battle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticktox View Post
    As far as wPvP, I wish there was some sort of system for travel purposes. Because I find myself choosing utilities and weapons that can give me swiftness and I often am not prepared with the utility and weapon that I like for a battle.
    Keeps can be upgraded to have Waypoints. I've never seen it myself, but it can be done.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit torn on the subject. I enjoy PvP as my thief but I'm worried about longevity. I don't think the model most '5 star' MMOs have is right, giving you gear progression in PvP and letting you overwhelm new PvP players by outgearing them. However I also don't think GW2's model, where everyone is given the same gear and the same playing ground, is quite right as well. I feel less rewarded each time I play a structured game. I realize you can 'farm' glory (I'm rank 11 currently) to buy cosmetic items as a reward, but that hardly interests me. I don't feel like I'm ever...progressing my character. GW2's combat/mechanics aren't different enough to create a steep learning curve. I feel there is very little room for me to increase my personal skill. So what's left?

I think a perfect PvP system would mix the best of both worlds. Perhaps a gear treadmill system to let you increase your power coupled together with a matchmaking system that puts players together based on their current gear levels and skill (which I guess could be calculated by W/L ratio, rank, statistics, etc...not my job to create the algorithm!). You would get to play with other players on even playing ground, but would be able to progress upwards by increasing your character's power and skill to face better players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I'm a bit torn on the subject. I enjoy PvP as my thief but I'm worried about longevity. I don't think the model most '5 star' MMOs have is right, giving you gear progression in PvP and letting you overwhelm new PvP players by outgearing them. However I also don't think GW2's model, where everyone is given the same gear and the same playing ground, is quite right as well. I feel less rewarded each time I play a structured game. I realize you can 'farm' glory (I'm rank 11 currently) to buy cosmetic items as a reward, but that hardly interests me. I don't feel like I'm ever...progressing my character. GW2's combat/mechanics aren't different enough to create a steep learning curve. I feel there is very little room for me to increase my personal skill. So what's left?
    I could type a long multi-paragraph response, but I can also say: "Team Fortress 2".
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post

I think a perfect PvP system would mix the best of both worlds. Perhaps a gear treadmill system to let you increase your power coupled together with a matchmaking system that puts players together based on their current gear levels and skill (which I guess could be calculated by W/L ratio, rank, statistics, etc...not my job to create the algorithm!). You would get to play with other players on even playing ground, but would be able to progress upwards by increasing your character's power and skill to face better players.
    That's what wPvP is for. Gear and everything else you get will support you in your battles. I've seen good guilds all level 80 characters, in a small group of 5-10 take out 20-30 enemies. Pretty epic and fun if you ask me. And I'll definitely keep playing for those moments. I believe sPvP is serving it's purpose for the most part. People seeking balanced and competitive gameplay.

Deleted
    Agreed with all op's pros.
    Cons:
    - ANet srewed up with the animations, more than 3 players at the same place and the game turns into a chaotic mess.
    - Lacks tactical aspect when comparing to GW1.

Things I think need to be done:

- Downed state needs reworking, I also love the downed state, but certain professions can stop being stomped 2-3 times in a row, while others are helpless. Solution would be to have no way to stop a stomping other than CC'ing the stomper.

- Private games.

- Ability to hot join with party members.

- Different game modes, capture and hold will get old fast.

- Matchmaking system, and a ladder system, I believe this is NEEDED ASAP to keep people playing competitively. The only reason so many people play LoL and WoW Arenas/RBGs is this reason.

- Duels, anywhere in the world. Great way to learn your class without having to be in a hectic 8v8 environment, also a great way to learn other classes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moistau View Post
    - Ability to hot join with party members.
    No thanks, I play tourney with my friends, I solo hotjoin, I don't want hotjoin to become like other games where it is just faceroll because one side is a pre-made with access to voice comms and the other is a pug with only text chat to communicae through, ultimately it is not healthy for the PvP population nor is much fun (whcihever side you are on). (If they had sepearte queues for it htough that would be fine)

Quote Originally Posted by zurgs View Post
    No thanks, I play tourney with my friends, I solo hotjoin, I don't want hotjoin to become like other games where it is just faceroll because one side is a pre-made with access to voice comms and the other is a pug with only text chat to communicae through, ultimately it is not healthy for the PvP population nor is much fun (whcihever side you are on). (If they had sepearte queues for it htough that would be fine)
    Obviously put a limit on how many you can join with, I would think a party of 3 would be a good number. Kind of like WoW - you can only party join with 5 or less. In an 8v8 match, 3 would be the sweet spot I'd think. I dunno, tourneys are great with friends of course, but if you just want to have a casual play around with mates or whatever I think the option to join with a party of 2-3 people should be there!

Deleted
    Diminishing returns, I would like to see too.

Yr also right about playing what is strong, after playing necro to try out builds I got a little sick of being pounded by thieves so made one to get a bettter idea of what is happening. Well 30 games later I can safely say that it's a pretty average class in terms of how much I enjoyed the mechanics and feel, but the immense damage at yr fingertips kind of flattens the choice for you. Anyway the class needs to be less faceroll and a decent chunk of damage taken away, but if it never happens I wont be too unhappy, it wasn't hard making one of my own.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont have a problem with downed state or any of the pvp in general i actually have liked the pvp from bwe 1, the issue im having of late is the influx of trash talking kiddies that have appeared well after release
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Deleted
    Give everyone the same downed state abilities, 1 basic attack, 1 knockdown, 1 heal. Remove the 3rd down state ability. I mean come on ele doesn't even have a stomp denial as their no. 2 like everyone else.

Also remove quickness, is the most broken thing in PvP.

Deleted
    Hi, I'm rank 10 playing mostly Elementalist but trying also other classes

- The server guy is working perfectly for me, the list is messy tho but I almost often go for play now
    - I really love to play elementalist even if most of the ppl say is crap, I play dual dagger or scepter/dagger
    - The maps are similar in my opinion but I like the little differences, trebuquet control, boss control, mini bosses control, underwater control
    - I love the equal gear aspect too
    - On my server doesnt seem to be payed tournaments, only the free ones
    - The downed state of the elementalist is quite crap u can disappear after 8 seconds usually they kill u much before that
    - I also think it needs matchmaking
    - I like the tournaments system
    - I like the gear crafting system shared on account

---------- Post added 2012-09-10 at 09:54 AM ----------

For the people who doesn't know, u can have a preview of all the pvp gear if u go on the closets near the entrance,
    u can see all the gear u collected for all the classes, I would like to know what rank or tournament I need for every set but I guess is working as intended

Last edited by mmocbdf271dc9e; 2012-09-10 at 07:56 AM.

Deleted
    The maps/objectives really need looking at. They play so similar that it gets repetitive very quickly. for a game so focused on PvP for its long term appeal i think the BG diversity is very poor.

Deleted
    Well if they want this to become an e-sport is they can't change it too much.
    LOL is 1 map only with 1 objective the wow arenas are mostly all the same...the objective is, kill the other team.