10+ Year Old Account

Virtual Reality Headset (under $1,000?)

Not sure if this has been posted already, did a search for this but was unable to find anything related to this (maybe I have overlooked it though)PS: My Source, Futuretimeline.net

Amazing news, really looking forward to this. That said I wonder how much it will cost, if it's under $1,000 then id be fine, afterall most new technologies are rather expensive at start to cover the cost of development process. Lastly, the dangers of the use of these? I guess degrading eye sight over time and possibly other issues?

A virtual reality headset supported by major video game developers is the latest tech project to cause excitement on the crowd-funding site Kickstarter.
    The kit promises gamers an "immersive experience" using a 640 by 800 pixel screen for each of the user's eyes.
    Oculus Rift 2.0, a 1080p+ High FoV HMD by 2013 Under $1000?

"I hate to succumb to hype, but in an attempt to keep people from being to upset about the delay: Imagine an HMD with a massive field of view and more pixels than 1080p per eye, wireless PC link, built in absolute head and hand/weapon/wand positioning, and native integration with some (if not all) of the major game engines, all for less than $1,000 USD. That can happen in 2013!"
    Here is an image.

Lastly a Video if you prefer that

-K

Deleted
    not touching any virtual reality headset until it has improved drastically. There is no real market atm, perhaps in 5/10 years, maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love VR games, it'd be amusing as hell, however so far I don't know if there's a possibility in that actually happening anytime soon. Also that's too expensive.

There is potential for games with VR, kinda reminds me of .hack//, but it will take a while before it gets to that point because of costs, and production of games. I don't know if it's simple to just port it to that or just hook it up, (though that seems a bit boring to me). It'd be nice if the games were made specific for VR visors.

The Oculus Rift is the first technology I've ever seen where I'm seriously considering dropping a buttload of cash to be an early adopter. It has almost universal praise from every game developer that's touched the thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    The Oculus Rift is the first technology I've ever seen where I'm seriously considering dropping a buttload of cash to be an early adopter. It has almost universal praise from every game developer that's touched the thing.
    I would love to try it out, would hate to spend some "serious" amount of money and ending up getting something that I would dislike ^^
    -K

cmon guys let the replys flowing we realy need a real worldwide vr online game before 20 years later

i would realy love hear that sony and other big companys support it aswel

Deleted
    All it is is a screen you wear and motion detector for your camera, nothing new tbh. While it will be high specs and really cool, it isn't true virtual reality in my opinion.
    While this would be great for something like Skyrim, i could imagine only certain games would really have a use for it; can't imagine wanting to use my head for aiming in an fps.

The biggest problem as to why it isn't true VR is that you're still using a pad, and if you used hand sensors you still need to press a button to walk, unless you have foot sensors which makes it dangerous. Then i would feel not truel immersed since i would be in the game with one sense, but only being able to preform scripted movements seems the biggest issue.

Basicly the Headset is great but the games and controls are just not to the point that i will even consider buying this.

Also: Is this 3D? I know Nvidia made 3D glasses for certain games or something like that, if it is then its much better. XD

Deleted
    I'd probably get lost with the buttons, even though I barely look at my keyboard currently, being 'blindfolded' cripples it even more.

IT'S UNDER 1000!!
    ... Sorry.
    I'm really excited for the Rift. I have been looking forward to this for a long time.

So. Does this mean we get a new season of Knightmare? But yeah, this actually looks kind of interesting for once. I'll wait until I know if it makes people's eyes explode after an hour usage or the like first, before getting excited about it.

I wish I knew what he was playing :O But that's pretty cool, maybe a few years down the road when it becomes accessible to a major audience ($300).

VR is going to be an awesome genre!

Well that's kind of stupid. They make something that's perfect for first person games, but trying to operate that thing along with a mouse and keyboard is going to be a bitch. I usually can't stand playing first person games with a controller.

Deleted
    Untill I see some gameplay I don't really care. Thought I must admit, the anime Sword Art Online sure makes it sound so pwetty. :P

It'll be really interesting to see what they do with this. It all comes down to developers making there games work with it though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Untill I see some gameplay I don't really care. Thought I must admit, the anime Sword Art Online sure makes it sound so pwetty. :P
    if they make a VR game like that i'm sold for life

Hope it does not come with some SAO features. I'm not good at surviving.