Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Oh, we're allowed to play around with prefixes and suffixes? Ok. Vicissitudinous.
    hehe, I just remember hearing it a long time ago on Spongebob Squarepants and always wanted to use it, though for some reason the bored game Scrabble doesn't think it's a real word >_>

10+ Year Old Account
    dioxyribonucleic acid.

I'm always afraid of terribly mispronouncing that word and in result getting punched in the face by an angry geneticist.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    dioxyribonucleic acid.

I'm always afraid of terribly mispronouncing that word and in result getting punched in the face by an angry geneticist.
    They're known for doing that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Awesome response +1!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    only when you mis-pronounce

Methionylglutaminylarginytyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanylalanylglutaminyll-eucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalanylphenylalanyvalylprolylphenylalanyl-valythreonylleucylglycylaspartylprolyglycylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylserylleucyllysyl-isoleucylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspartylalanylleucylglut amylleucylglycylglycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylprolylleucelalanylaspartygly cylprolythreonylisoleucylglutamiylasparaginylalanylthreonylleucylarginylalanylphenylalanyl alanylglycylvalyltheonylprolylalanylglutaminylcysteinylphenylalanygllutamylmethionylleucya lanylleucylisoleucylarginylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylpriIylisoleucylgl ycylleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalyphenylalanylasparaginyllysylgyy cylisoleucylaspartylglutamylphenylalanyltyrosylalanylgutaminyllcysteinylglutamyllysylvalyl glycylavlylaspartylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalyprolylvalylglutaminylglutamyllse rylalanyprolyphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasparaginylvayl alanylprolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprolylaspartylalanylaspartylaspar tylaspartylleucylleucylarginyglutaminylisoleucylalanyylseryltyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyro sylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginylalanylglycylvalythreonylglycylalanylglutamylaspa raginylarginylanylalanylleucylprolylleucylaspaaginylhistidylleucylvaylalanyllysylleucyllys ylglutamyltyrosylasaraginylglycylphenylalanylglycylisoleucylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminyl valyllysylalanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylalanyglycylalanylalanyglycylalanylisoleucylse rylglycyserylalanylisoleucylbalyllsylisoleucylisoleucylglutamyyylglutaminylhistidylasparag inylisoleucylglutamylprolyglutamyllysylmethionylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylal abylvalylglutaminlylprolylmethionyllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginylserine ----- Scientific name for Trypthophan synthetase (that is a protien with 267 amino acids) (1 909 letters)

Quite understandable really, any normal person should be able to pronounce this easy to spell word ^.^

Deleted
    Interlocutor, a very commonly used word in French.

Rather rare to hear it in English, albeit the same definition.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    dioxyribonucleic acid.

lol.

It's pronounced how it looks... at least to a native english speaker with scientific training.

One from my childhood: Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

If you wanted to hang with the smart kids, you had to know how to spell that.

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 11:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by qu1rex View Post
    Interlocutor, a very commonly used word in French.

Rather rare to hear it in English, albeit the same definition.
    It's common in Law, at least in the US.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I like to use big words totally wrong when joking around with the wife. Sometimes I forget that other people don't know my wife and I do this. Sometimes people correct me. LOl that tends to make me feel very foolish so then I turn it up and try to use as many five dollar words as i can correctly in front of them.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Fortnight. I keep wanting to use that word, but I can never remember stuff that's worth talking about for a fortnight.

Quote Originally Posted by FunFarm View Post
    Fortnight. I keep wanting to use that word, but I can never remember stuff that's worth talking about for a fortnight.
    That one's easy. "Want to come over? I built a tent. We can have a fortnight."

10+ Year Old Account
    Preposterous!

Deleted
    Fat

Every time I get asked by certain two girls from the college about they look and if they seem fat in these clothes. ..well, of course you do, you're at least 30kg overweight, these clothes dont make you look big, YOU make you look big..

But nooo.. I just say "No, honey, they fit perfectly, you make me envy your figure".. right.. maybe some day..:P

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Fat

Every time I get asked by certain two girls from the college about they look and if they seem fat in these clothes. ..well, of course you do, you're at least 30kg overweight, these clothes dont make you look big, YOU make you look big..

But nooo.. I just say "No, honey, they fit perfectly, you make me envy your figure".. right.. maybe some day..:P
    Be honest.
    I'm not being funny, I'm a bit overweight myself but there are ways to dress to compliment a 'curvy' figure, and ways to make yourself look awful. If they're trying to squeeze into jeans a size too small (muffintops! >.< )and a top that looks too tight, tell them that what they are wearing doesn't suit them.
    Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. Whenever I see a chubby girl walking down the street in trousers/jeans that are too small with bits bulging over the top, I just want to take them to one side... "look love, next time, just buy the next size up. No one can see the size label of your jeans when you have them on, you're only emphasizing the love handles."

Sorry for the ridiculously off-topic rant.

On topic: If I want to use a word, I use it. Considering one of my colleagues once asked me to explain the word 'charlatan', (we were talking about people that had chosen a particular profession, my comment was that they're just a bunch of con-men and charlatans) if I restricted myself to match their vocabulary, I'd be limited to monosyllabic grunts.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    Since english is my second language I do know nearly all the words mentioned here and what they mean, but in a conversation sometimes i cant come up with it at that time, or i do not feel confident enough to use it. So i resort to a more common used word or words to describe it. I know it's silly, but you would be surprised how condescending some native speakers can be when a 5 dollar word is mispronounced. (ofc not all, before people get mad again so easily)

Indubitably is a word I write a lot but never have said in a real conversation

Deleted
    Sulplice.
    Liginamite.

Communist

As in im a communist

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I know your feel... I write really nice in English, but when it comes down to talk, boom everything coming out of my mouth isn't understandable... I don't get like, when I speak it, it feels like I'm gagging or something, it's pretty annoying :d
    Not alone.

Happens to me all the time.
    Brain freezes and I mumble, and I know what I want to say, it just comes out wrong.
    Was talking to my friends a couple of days back about the TV show Dexter.
    Not hard to say but for some reason my speech was screwed and I ended up saying 'Dexzer' instead of 'Dexter' about 3 times each time before I said Dexter properly.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Deleted
    Ergo, concordantly, vis-a-vis.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    Be honest.
    I'm not being funny, I'm a bit overweight myself but there are ways to dress to compliment a 'curvy' figure, and ways to make yourself look awful. If they're trying to squeeze into jeans a size too small (muffintops! >.< )and a top that looks too tight, tell them that what they are wearing doesn't suit them.
    Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. Whenever I see a chubby girl walking down the street in trousers/jeans that are too small with bits bulging over the top, I just want to take them to one side... "look love, next time, just buy the next size up. No one can see the size label of your jeans when you have them on, you're only emphasizing the love handles."
    I totally agree! i'd rather have someone tell me my clothes don't really go with my body
    than finding out later and feel horrid i walked with it for so long. sure maybe whe you actually get told it may not feel so nice
    but in the end you're better off

OT: perhaps! it always ends up in being "maybe" ;< i just never find the right sentence, as "maybe" almost always sounds better