Deleted

Mesmer's, Crafting and Legendaries!

Hey all!

Im currently playing a Norn Mesmer (level 49) and recently it has dawned on me that i should start thinking about taking up crafting skills. I have done a fair share of pvp, and thoroughly enjoy it, and since i can remember i have been playing with a Greatsword / Staff setup. Ive been leaning towards the Greatsword legendary (twilight) but any ideas, suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Deleted
    At lvl 49 its way to early to start thinking about legendary weapons. However if you do want to know more about the process of making one guru has some pretty helpful information on the topic:

I decided to continue this thread because the information was spread across too many pages and people kept asking the same questions. Because of this I decided to make a compilation of the information and speculation that has been done about crafting Twilight.

Twilight is made in the Mystic Forge by combining 4 materials, it is most likely Dusk, Gift of Metal, Gift of Darkness and one more Legendary item made by combining Gift of Battle, Bloodstone Shard, Mystic Clover and Gift of Exploration. These two asumptions are based on the fact that you cannot combine Dawn with Bloodstone shard or Gift of Exploration (This means you cant do it with Dusk either).

- Dusk (Bind on Equip) - Exotic Greatsword that is made in the Mystic Forge, people are claiming that they put in 4 random rare/exotic greatswords to make it, asuming this is true I still believe that it has its own recipe in the Forge too. However if you want Dusk right here right now I suggest you go and buy on the Trading post for 60g.
    - Bloodstone Shard (Account bound) - Requires 200 skillpoints bought from Myani at the Mystic Forge in Lion's Arch.
    - Gift of Metal (Account bound) - Crafted by lvl 400 Weaponsmith the following is the materials required:
    Orichalcum Ingot x250
    Darksteel Ingot x250
    Platinum Ingot x250
    Mithril Ingot x250
    - Gift of Darkness (Account bound) - Crafted by lvl 400 Armorsmith the following is the materials required:
    Gift of Ascalon (Account bound) - Bought with 500 Ascalonian Tears which is dropped in AC explorable mode, the tears are soulbound so make sure you collect all on one character.
    Orichalcum Ingot x250
    Cured Hardened Leather Square x250
    Onyx Lodestone x100 - Made in Mystic Forge with 2 Onyx Cores + 1 Pile of Crystalline Dust + 1 Crystal + 1 Bottle of Elonian Wine. The Lodestone is also dropped but I dont know where yet.
    - Gift of Battle (Account bound) - Bought with 500 Badges of Honor which you get from killing enemies in WvW or doing the jumping puzzles.
    - Gift of Exploration (Account bound) - Requires 100% world completion, if you did not get any reward from getting 100% done, go to Fort Trinity and take the middle portal. Upon entering you should get the two Gift of Exploration.
    - Mystic Clover - Acording to people on Reddit you can make RANDOM t6 fine materials (this includes the Mystic Clover) by combining:
    10 Obsidian Shards + 10 Ectoplasm + 10 Crystals + 10 Mystic Coins = 20-50 of a random t6 material
    The Obsidian Shards are bought from the Karma vendor for 2100 Karma at temple of Balthazar in Straits of Devestation when it is not contested.

At this point the use of Gift of Battle, Gift of Exploration and Mystic Clover is pure speculation and we do not know for sure if they are used at all. We do however know that Gift of Darkness, Gift of Metal, Dusk and Bloodstone Shard are used at some stage of the creation of Twilight but those 4 items are not combined together.

How much will crafting Twilight cost me?
    With current prices a rough estimate is that you will need 250g worth of items, but of couse you can farm 90% of these items by yourself if you want to. You will however have to spend minimum 20g on buying the recipe for Gift of Darkness and Gift of Metal and a couple of more gold on creating Darksteel Ingot.

What do I HAVE to grind?
    Gift of Ascalon, Gift of Exploration, Bloodstone Shard, Gift of Battle and most parts of Mystic Clover.

Source: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...on-and-how-to/

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Gift of Ascalon (Account bound) - Bought with 500 Ascalonian Tears which is dropped in AC explorable mode, the tears are soulbound so make sure you collect all on one character.

Oh well. So much for me trying to get a legendary :S There's just no way I'll be able to grind explorable mode that much. Hell, I'll be lucky if I even complete it ONCE. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind crazy amount of materials that have to be farmed... since I was under the impression it was a solo effort; therefore, it would require an insane amount game time to acquire... but I know that I'll never even probably make it into explorable mode.
    Last edited by theredviola; 2012-09-10 at 01:29 AM.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post

Oh well. So much for me trying to get a legendary :S There's just no way I'll be able to grind explorable mode that much. Hell, I'll be lucky if I even complete it ONCE. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind crazy amount of materials that have to be farmed... since I was under the impression it was a solo effort; therefore, it would require an insane amount game time to acquire... but I know that I'll never even probably make it into explorable mode.
    Yeah I thought they said it would be totally soloble, I guess not

I was hoping for an epic quest chain that was soloable with some mat farming. But I was also wrong... its too bad because I get a shiny weapon for loads of grinding, not actually enjoying a legendary story.

Why is it so hard? My guild leader already has his AC farming done. Pugs run AC all the time. You can do it!

I'm going to ask this question in this thread instead of starting my own. Is crafting required to get the best gear?

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervayne View Post
    Why is it so hard? My guild leader already has his AC farming done. Pugs run AC all the time. You can do it!
    While I appreciate your positive feedback, I know that I simply won't have the skill to make it through explorables if they're anywhere near as hard as I've read.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Deleted
    i don't really see much point of grinding for items in a game, where they are so much less powerful and significant than in other mmos.

the item carrot is just not there for me.

While I appreciate your positive feedback, I know that I simply won't have the skill to make it through explorables if they're anywhere near as hard as I've read.
    It does not require any skill, really. You can simply zerg it down without much effort, it's just annoying to do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by empyblessing View Post
    I'm going to ask this question in this thread instead of starting my own. Is crafting required to get the best gear?
    If you want a legendary weapon, yes, crafting is required.

Deleted
    it's not best in any way, it just looks better.

Deleted
    Twilight is THE HARDEST legendary to get in the game. https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...-million-karma
    Take a read and then watch the video through the link on the forum.

Deleted
    The endless instance runs is another reason LFG is badly needed in this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hrm. So legendaries require you to do both PvE *and* PvP? Intameresting.

I also can't help but notice the component that *requires* 100% map completion. Is there any other way to get that component?

If not, I now see a reason to own dozens upon dozens of characters.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Hrm. So legendaries require you to do both PvE *and* PvP? Intameresting.

I also can't help but notice the component that *requires* 100% map completion. Is there any other way to get that component?

If not, I now see a reason to own dozens upon dozens of characters.
    100% map completion does not share over characters. I now see a reason to never play an alt, ever. This is bad, because I could ENJOY getting 100% map completion with alts, and leveling in other zones from my main... but now to get this, I have to guarantee that all my alts will be playing the same zone content as my main did = boring grind.
    Last edited by Darthmullet; 2012-09-15 at 07:20 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthmullet View Post
    100% map completion does not share over characters. I now see a reason to never play an alt, ever. This is bad, because I could ENJOY getting 100% map completion with alts, and leveling in other zones from my main... but now to get this, I have to guarantee that all my alts will be playing the same zone content as my main did = boring grind.
    What Drake meant was that you have to do the world completion again on another character after making one legendary, before you can make another one. Since obviously you can't get 100% twice on the same character.

Well, that's how I interpreted it, anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Vinni View Post
    Twilight is THE HARDEST legendary to get in the game. https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...-million-karma
    Take a read and then watch the video through the link on the forum.
    The million karma is due to the 77 mystic clovers, which all legendaries require, as far as I'm aware.

Twilight isn't the hardest; they're all brutal. Twilight is just most likely to be the first one completed, because... well, you know how much people love huge 2-handed weapons.

---------- Post added 2012-09-15 at 12:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    What Drake meant was that you have to do the world completion again on another character after making one legendary, before you can make another one. Since obviously you can't get 100% twice on the same character.

Well, that's how I interpreted it, anyway...
    You actually get 2 Gifts of Exploration upon 100% world completion, so each character can make 2 legendaries. Nice of them to think of dual wielders in this way, though I sure do wish they'd reduced the requirements just a tad for 1-handed items, as opposed to the 2-handers..!

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was actually under the impression you needed two gifts of exploration per legendary, but if it's only one, that's nice of them

I'll probably still go for the staff rather than a main hand + offhand on my elementalist though, considering all the other materials you need.