Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Windows Surface only 199 dollars?

Now after all that, there is a rumor it will merely be 199 dollars.

HOW?!

Of course that would be neat, but.... I think it's only a rumor.

Massive quantities + No hardware updates until windows 9 ( 4 to 5 years ) , can work, 'specially considering how late Microsoft is to the tablet game, even if they sell them at a loss, they willl still make enough profit from the marketplace, assuming they sell enough quantities.

Although i hate how developers are discouraged to develop for the desktop, it might turn out to be a good tablet.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Massive quantities + No hardware updates until windows 9 ( 4 to 5 years ) , can work, 'specially considering how late Microsoft is to the tablet game, even if they sell them at a loss, they willl still make enough profit from the marketplace, assuming they sell enough quantities.

Although i hate how developers are discouraged to develop for the desktop, it might turn out to be a good tablet.
    Y....You mean it CAN be that price?

Mind you, this is why they pulled the locked UEFI bootloader shenanigans, they dont want people to use linux on these things, because it will be taking away from their profits, as they will profit from the software rather then the hardware.

As far as the hardware goes, as much as i do not like microsoft, they have solid build, their intellimice, their ergo-boards and even gaming boards are great, and considering the surface will have A MOTHEREFFIN' MAGNESIUM UNIBODY i can see myself getting one of these if they jailbreak the bootloader.

And this is for the arm winrt version of surface ONLY.

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 11:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Y....You mean it CAN be that price?
    They sold their xboxes at a loss, i dont see why they wont sell these extremely cheap, considering nobody will buy an expensive product with an operating system that has none of their favourite apps, that's what HP did and they ended up fire-selling their tablets away at 99$.

It's an initial investment to attract both developers and consumers.

Deleted
    Mind you, this is why they pulled the locked UEFI bootloader shenanigans, they dont want people to use linux on these things, because it will be taking away from their profits, as they will profit from the software rather then the hardware.

As far as the hardware goes, as much as i do not like microsoft, they have solid build, their intellimice, their ergo-boards and even gaming boards are great, and considering the surface will have A MOTHEREFFIN' MAGNESIUM UNIBODY i can see myself getting one of these if they jailbreak the bootloader.

And this is for the arm winrt version of surface ONLY.

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 11:39 PM ----------

They sold their xboxes at a loss, i dont see why they wont sell these extremely cheap, considering nobody will buy an expensive product with an operating system that has none of their favourite apps, that's what HP did and they ended up fire-selling their tablets away at 99$.

It's an initial investment to attract both developers and consumers.
    I don't use Linux anyway, so eh. :P

But damn, if it turns out to be that price I will be getting one myself! Not that I have any real use for it but I LOVE collecting gadgets and things.

I am weird like that. :P

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    I don't use Linux anyway, so eh. :P

But damn, if it turns out to be that price I will be getting one myself! Not that I have any real use for it but I LOVE collecting gadgets and things.

I am weird like that. :P
    it will be useless with linux anyways, the point is that you can put android on it if it's jailbroken and that corporations shouldnt have the power over what sofware their users are restricted to.

Deleted
    it will be useless with linux anyways, the point is that you can put android on it if it's jailbroken and that corporations shouldnt have the power over what sofware their users are restricted to.
    Oh I wouldn't care what OS it would use. (unless Apple)

Just would be a dream to let this price be true.

But the price is probably 500 dollars or the like.

10+ Year Old Account
    $199 for the Arm based tablet could happen. Microsoft would be banking on Windows Store revenue and a greater share of the tablet market to make up the loss on the hardware. If I was MS I would do it, they have the cash to do it, they saw it work great with the Xbox, they need to make an impact with Windows 8, this would do it.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

I heard that Microsoft Surface is the business edition of touch computing. For example, you go to your local McDonalds and order from the touch table. While you're waiting, you can play games on it.

Windows 8 should be the consumer edition for tablets.

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought they'd already officially announced it would be $199 and $299 or something? At least I thought I'd read that.

Either way, it wont be $500.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    I thought they'd already officially announced it would be $199 and $299 or something? At least I thought I'd read that.

Either way, it wont be $500.
    Omg, LINKS, I NEED LINKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluxwave View Post
    im going for the pro
    If it's reasonably priced, i'm jumping on that aswell.

And further thinking about it only confirms it, in my mind, even more : They've put the metro interface in the desktop operating system, there's no reason to do that unless you want the customer to buy your product for which the interface is designed, either way, i like how metro turned out on wp7 more, and the desktop metro interface, in my eyes, is a failure, unless it gets some significant aesthetic revision

Only 30 mins into the video, are the clip-on keyboards packaged with the tablet device, or do you need to buy them seperately? The Pro version and that "proper" keyboard looks amazing. And for 200 bucks, buying one feels like shoplifting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Only 30 mins into the video, are the clip-on keyboards packaged with the tablet device, or do you need to buy them seperately? The Pro version and that "proper" keyboard looks amazing. And for 200 bucks, buying one feels like shoplifting.
    I believe the screen protectors, which are also the keyboards, come with the device. Again at least I thought I read that (just like I thought I'd read the prices had already been announced).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Exactly, it's like, what is this change I am giving for this device?

Deleted
    Why not tablets are keep, miss out some components you dont need job done.

Oh FYI M$ invented the first tablet years before anyone else, it just didnt sell well back then.

If they do, I'm holding off getting the new laptop. That is a fantastically good deal, in fact it is such a good deal I'm actively looking for the bad news. You can't even get a 10" netbook with this kind of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    Why not tablets are keep, miss out some components you dont need job done.

Oh FYI M$ invented the first tablet years before anyone else, it just didnt sell well back then.
    Yeah I was watching The Wire the other day and they were using a Microsoft tablet and that show was from like 2003.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

There isnt a trackpoint version. There better be an aftermarket one.
    also these keyboard i feel are going to be fairly bad since i'd reckon they have no tactility whatsoever.

Also, the pro version is exactly what slate tablet PCs have strived to be ever since their inception.

There isnt a trackpoint version. There better be an aftermarket one.
    also these keyboard i feel are going to be fairly bad since i'd reckon they have no tactility whatsoever.

Also, the pro version is exactly what slate tablet PCs have strived to be ever since their inception.
    Can't be worse than a touchscreen keyboard. I hate typing on my phone.