10+ Year Old Account

New to 5.0.4 disc play - stat priority help pls.

Hey.

I decided (due to demand of a healer) to dust of my disc priest and see what she can do in this patch, but when I opened my character sheet, it showed that I had 15% hit... Really, do discs get automatic spell hit cap now?

Also which stats should I reforge to keep haste/mastery balanced, ignore everything else? Do I need more spirit or is still intellect the best thing to gem?

Here's my priest - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kysha/advanced

According to sims, the stat priority is as follows:

Intellect > Spirit > Mastery Rating > Haste Rating > Critical Strike Rating.

Icy Veins has pretty good guides nowadays.

As for the hit chance, all priests have a passive ability called Divine Fury now. It increases your chance to hit with Penance, Smite, Power Word: Solace, Cascade, Divine Star, Halo, and Holy Fire by 15%.
    Last edited by emni; 2012-09-10 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Fixed broken link

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, according to IV best would be atonment healing... I never did that in Cata... But since all is new, I might as well give it ago. Thanks for reminding me about IV.

Deleted
    Disc gets hit cap with smite, penance and holy fire.

PvE stat priority is something like
    int > (spirit) > mastery >>> crit > haste

- spirit… int in 5.0 is useless for mana regen, so you want more spirit than in 4.0.3. How much? Depends on the instance (10, 25, HC, LFR?), your raid, your role etc. 2500 looks too low for my taste. 3K base + spirit trinket works fine for me but don't do cutting edge progress raiding so my knowledge is limited.
    - Mastery is strong right now (spirit shell is awesome), forget crit and haste.

Edit:
    Atonement isn't really a healing style any more. Its baseline and you need HF+penance+smite/solace to stack evangelism for the 30s archangel CD.
    Last edited by mmoc38e36cd21e; 2012-09-10 at 07:56 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    from what i understand you need more spirit than before, so spirit on all gear and reforge it if not, everything else to mastery then haste.

iirc int doesnt affect regen now, just output.

for 5 mans atonement is all you need, with right gear heroics as well, and i imagine depending on the raid set up you can probably do very well atonement healing in raids as well. just don't make the same mistake i made - don't have auto self cast turned on, other wise you end up casting heals on yourself before you target the player =p

10+ Year Old Account
    I did some reforges now, not plan on changing any gems or enchants (those will be obsolete anyhow soon), I hope that the other stats make up for it.

Unfortunately with my present gear, w/o changing gems, can get 2.9k spirit with pure reforging.

And if, then it will DS/FL 10-man, with some HC.

Thanks for the tips. Much appriciated.

Is there any reason you're all blindly stacking mastery simply because Icy Veins says so? What exactly is it doing for your spells? It only affects three:

• PW:S - extremely mana inefficient
    • Divine Aegis - continues to scale poorly with mastery
    • Spirit Shell - caps at 60% of your maximum HP

I don't see the value in stacking it currently.
    Last edited by Amnesti; 2012-09-10 at 06:25 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnesti View Post
    Is there any reason you're all blindly stacking mastery simply because Icy Veins says so? What exactly is it doing for your spells? It only affects three. PW:S is extremely mana inefficient, Divine Aegis scales poorly with mastery, and Spirit Shell caps at 60% of your maximum HP.
    While I fully agree with your general statement (especially that we're healers and not stacking any single stat to improve some theoretical hps value, but rather reinforce our playstyle/role with certain improvements), I really fail to see why we still cling to "Divine Aegis scales poorly with mastery". It scales by exactly the same value as Power Word: Shield (and now Spirit Shell) does, nothing more, nothing less. Now it may be a smaller number relative to the total healed amount (included the healing crit that triggered it), but Divine Aegis in itself is still increased by the same relative amount.

On all those Dragon Soul fights where we sit on our 30%-40% healing done by Divine Aegis, it's not "poor scaling" in total numbers. Note that I do not say it's superior to haste or crit for this purpose, this poor scaling myth is just not true by the numbers.

The reason mastery is the best stat now and will be even more so at level 90 is that it is the most mana positive, crit is also but unreliably so and haste is neutral. You are going to be getting as much spirit as you can possibly get at least until some time in t15 where you get enough to actually get mana back from rapture again on a regular basis not just with procs, but when you have spirit on every piece of gear mastery will be the next stat to go for in order to get the most from every cast. There's going to be a whole lot of blue and green gems.

Is there any reason you're all blindly stacking mastery simply because Icy Veins says so? What exactly is it doing for your spells? It only affects three:

Because mastery scales extremely well with SS, which accounts for a large portion of our healing. Additionally, SS and DA combined account for the vast majority of our healing.

And yes, even though SS caps at 60% health, you currently can't cap it in one cast. I imagine there is cap for mastery, but I couldn't tell you what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by scandore8472 View Post
    Because mastery scales extremely well with SS, which accounts for a large portion of our healing. Additionally, SS and DA combined account for the vast majority of our healing.

And yes, even though SS caps at 60% health, you currently can't cap it in one cast. I imagine there is cap for mastery, but I couldn't tell you what it is.
    If you're capping SS every time in 10 mans, what is the value in all of that mastery? DA is affected more by both haste and crit, and you won't be spamming PW:S unless you're asking to be oom.

If you're capping SS every time in 10 mans, what is the value in all of that mastery? DA is affected more by both haste and crit, and you won't be spamming PW:S unless you're asking to be oom.
    So what you're saying is that you should instead stack haste so that you could cast more often weaker shields thus spending more mana? That makes no sense to me personally.

The value of mastery lies not only HpS, but also in HpM. Haste only effects HpS.

Quote Originally Posted by emni View Post
    So what you're saying is that you should instead stack haste so that you could cast more often weaker shields thus spending more mana? That makes no sense to me personally.

The value of mastery lies not only HpS, but also in HpM. Haste only effects HpS.
    Haste is a stat that would instead affect your general throughput as opposed to three spells. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, I genuinely want to understand the current value behind mastery.

10+ Year Old Account

Spirit Shell and Divine Aegis are consistently my top two heals, so Mastery stacking makes perfect sense. I haven't seen anyone choosing anything over mastery so far, but it would be nice to see some math
    "Healing is a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. All the healers try to gobble all the marbles up. Disc priests take the marbles off the board."

Efficiency.

Stacking mastery increases the throughput of SS, which in turn increases it's HPM. The more mastery you have, the less mana you spend shielding people.