View Poll Results: How would the world react to a peaceful breakup of the United States?

Voters
64. This poll is closed
  • There will be war

23 35.94%
  • The world will support the NAU

18 28.13%
  • Other

23 35.94%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    The terrorists would be happy there's no such thing as America anymore.
    I do think if it would actually dissapear( like the mop island ) there would be war!
    obviously a lot of countries are scared of the US. but i do mean countries with terrorist activities and stuff.
    I'm not naming any incase its racist =/ but im sure its guessable'ish?

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    404 please, this will only get worse.
    fairly civil so far, let it flow

First off... it would never, ever, happen. The states are far closer to disappearing as entities within a unitary US than they are suddenly becoming separate sovereign entities. That ship sailed a long, long time ago.

Second, assuming for the sake of argument that what you're outlining did come to pass, one of two scenarios would most likely happen:

1. Because economic and policy interests ALREADY cross state borders (for example the area directly involved in the New York City metro area, and affected by policy decisions, sprawls across three states), you would see either a rapid coagulation of states into new federal groupings (perhaps as few as five, perhaps as many as 15), or a complete dissolution of the old states and reformation into new "states" bearing little resemblance to the existing borders, for the same reason. State boundaries were drawn over a century ago, in a different era of transport and communication. They make little sense now, with current patterns of economy and society.

2. If you recall the "United States of Canada/Jesusland" cartoon of a few years ago - you might see something akin to that. Certain portions of the existing US - Northwest Coast/California/Northeast/Great Lakes - might join with Canada in a new expanded federation, certain portions along the southern border might decide to throw their lot in with Mexico, leaving the mountain states, great plains, and southeast in a federation of their own.

One thing more likely in either scenario would be the increase in power of corporations over the new governments. A patchwork of state laws with no overarching federal law would allow corporations even more power to set states against each other for jobs, and would likely see an ongoing decline in the standard of living in states dependent upon them for their economy.

All in all, it would not be the small-government-libertarian's fantasy world that some people think it might be, even without the specter of war (which I agree is unlikely). It would likely be a small net plus for some, and a large net minus for many.

Like it or not but the world economy will collapse. Unemployment will increase on a scale that we never seen before. The Great Depression here in the States will seem nothing in comparison to what will come if the US would just disappeared.

Granted America is FAR FAR from being perfect, but does the rest of the world really hate us THAT much? Is it the American people that people hate. the government of the US or just everything about America?

Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    The terrorists would be happy there's no such thing as America anymore.
    I do think if it would actually dissapear( like the mop island ) there would be war!
    obviously a lot of countries are scared of the US. but i do mean countries with terrorist activities and stuff.
    I'm not naming any incase its racist =/ but im sure its guessable'ish?
    Believe me, it is not just "terrorist" countries (does that even exist? gross generalization) that would be relieved.
    Terrorist attacks in europe were a direct consequence of US warmongering and our retarded leaders following suit, we werent a target or enemy before that, now we are from association.
    Always same thing, old farts decide to play chess with the world, the young die senselessly....

Would be far more interesting if the young said "enough", grabbed all those hypocrites asses and threw them into an arena with rags and knives, then let the lions loose and see how much they are worth without their power.

joke aside, it is a sad thing either way.

---------- Post added 2012-09-10 at 02:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrament View Post
    Like it or not but the world economy will collapse. Unemployment will increase on a scale that we never seen before. The Great Depression here in the States will seem nothing in comparison to what will come if the US would just disappeared.

Granted America is FAR FAR from being perfect, but does the rest of the world really hate us THAT much? Is it the American people that people hate. the government of the US or just everything about America?

I dont think that anyone aside from "terrorists" hate the US as a whole, just its external policies, and "hate" is too strong of a word, in most cases "resent" would be more fitting.

I suspect there would be great rejoice, and cheering all over. At least until a natural disaster hit, or some group of people decided to over-through their leader, or some other event that usually results in another country coming to the US for help.

So, really, nothing would change.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aekya View Post
    Believe me, it is not just "terrorist" countries (does that even exist? gross generalization) that would be relieved.
    Terrorist attacks in europe were a direct consequence of US warmongering and our retarded leaders following suit, we werent a target or enemy before that, now we are from association. .
    Well there Are obvious countries with high terrorist activities, i think they would be the first rejoicing. I didnt name any because it may be offending to people
    But common we all know what and where. and i didnt say Terrorist countries, i said countries with terrorist activities, yes there are many and there are a few with "A high ammount of of it)

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine it would be like this

i didnt post the video in fear of being infracted

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    You do realize that in OPs scenario you would not only get rid of your debt, but you would also get rid of any debt claim you have. This is what people tend to forget here.
    Because that's not how it would actually work IRL, you're just inventing circumstances. The Soviet Union's debt or credit didn't just vanish after 1991.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggayshammy View Post
    I imagine it would be like this

i didnt post the video in fear of being infracted
    You think doing it this way wouldnt get you infracted? you're still linking something that "might" be innapropriate. if you are getting ifnracted this isnt going to save you

10+ Year Old Account
    If the US forsook its national debt, there would revolution and anarchy in the streets of the US itself with how much of the debt is owned by US citizens and how many revolutionary groups already exist. What other nations would do to the land mass that once was the US wouldn't be an invasion, it would simply be to occupy the devastated ruins of what was destroyed through our own fighting.
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2012-09-10 at 01:26 PM.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Because that's not how it would actually work IRL, you're just inventing circumstances. The Soviet Union's debt or credit didn't just vanish after 1991.
    And? Russia and the other post soviet states decided to be the successors of the Soviet Union, heritating all debts and credits divided beneath them.
    In this scenario that the OP describes he wants to get rid of the debts. By doing so, which equals a bankcuptcy, you also forfeit all claims.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I'd have expected someone to mention war with China in the first page since they own a chunk of our debt and ending business with them would stunt their growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    And? Russia and the other post soviet states decided to be the successors of the Soviet Union, heritating all debts and credits divided beneath them.
    In this scenario that the OP describes he wants to get rid of the debts. By doing so, which equals a bankcuptcy, you also forfeit all claims.
    Which will be catastrophic for all involved, including the Americans who owns most of the debt, which was the point before. Not sure why you think forfeiting claims have anything to do with anything.

Deleted

Something like this.

Edit: Awh the topic name deceived me
    Last edited by mmocf470da16f3; 2012-09-10 at 01:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tough question, i believe the world will support the separation. The rest of the world knows that you will never repay that what they have landed you. What they will do is have each independent "country" in the new USA do something in return for the debt they own. Like China building factories over there, that will be fun to see. Pretty much though US is going down, the more dept you have the more dependent you are on foreign countries, you are not so free as you think, in fact your whole army is being funded by China and other countries, if they ever decide to pull the plug, you will have no army in days, not a single shot will be fired. Its funny but you know which other countries have huge debt because they spend money they don't have- Communistic.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Per Federal Tax Dollar paid, this is the figure the states get back (information is from 2009).

New Mexico $2.03
    Mississippi $2.02
    Alaska $1.84
    Louisiana $1.78
    West Virginia $1.76
    North Dakota $1.68
    Alabama $1.66
    South Dakota $1.53
    Kentucky $1.51
    Virginia $1.51
    Montana $1.47
    Hawaii $1.44
    Maine $1.41
    Arkansas $1.41
    Oklahoma $1.36
    South Carolina $1.35
    Missouri $1.32
    Maryland $1.30
    Tennessee $1.27
    Idaho $1.21
    Arizona $1.19
    Kansas $1.12
    Wyoming $1.11
    Iowa $1.10
    Nebraska $1.10
    Vermont $1.08
    North Carolina $1.08
    Pennsylvania $1.07
    Utah $1.07
    Indiana $1.05
    Ohio $1.05
    Georgia $1.01
    Rhode Island $1.00
    Florida $0.97
    Texas $0.94
    Oregon $0.93
    Michigan $0.92
    Washington $0.88
    Wisconsin $0.86
    Massachusetts $0.82
    Colorado $0.81
    New York $0.79
    California $0.78
    Delaware $0.77
    Illinois $0.75
    Minnesota $0.72
    New Hampshire $0.71
    Connecticut $0.69
    Nevada $0.65
    New Jersey $0.61

Some states would thrive, some remain about the same, and some seriously struggle. Obviously those figures don't take into account numerous factors, but can be used as an indication that not all would be rosy.

Deleted
    Doesn't matter since corporations control everything in America, even if "USA" were to be disbanded the states would still be controlled by the same compani

My prediction:
    1. Israel gets invaded by pretty much everyone
    2. China invades Alaska and Hawaiithe next day without a doubt
    3. Middle east completely destabalizes
    4. Mexico goes after Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas
    5. Washington, Oregon, Maine, and New York get annexed by Canada for protection against China