• Unjustifiable

583 37.44%
  • Would have gone about it differently.

571 36.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow this poll is extremely even.

I would say I would be PISSED, but I would never kill a person for that (3 "woulds" in a sentence o.O). It is a horrible story all together, however. I feel bad for both parties.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    She possibly (as in, very small chance) gave him a death sentence that would have killed him years down the road. He killed her on the spot. You want to try to say these are the same?
    Who cares if its a small chance? how does that make a diffrence? i know in the end he may not get HIV
    But he may aswell. would you go and have unprotected sex with someone that has HIV and think ohh well if the chance is that low it doesent matter as much
    Theyre not the same but both stupid. i can't say she deserved it, nor can i say he deserved what happend to me
    Though if i had to give out a punishment (hard and medium), i would have given the guy a medium one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fender010 View Post
    Not exactly the same no. But she knew she had it and did it anyways. With actions come consequences. Not all people are cool and level headed.
    You realize your statement really doesn't mean anything useful, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    Who cares if its a small chance? how does that make a diffrence? i know in the end he may not get HIV
    But he may aswell. would you go and have unprotected sex with someone that has HIV and think ohh well if the chance is that low it doesent matter as much
    Theyre not the same but both stupid. i can't say she deserved it, nor can i say he deserved what happend to me
    Though if i had to give out a punishment (hard and medium), i would have given the guy a medium one.
    My emphasis in that statement was in the latter portion, and the inability to compare 5-20 years more of life with medication to an instant death. I know that the low chance of his infection didn't factor in given he was not educated on that matter.

Deleted
    You realize your statement really doesn't mean anything useful, right?

My emphasis in that statement was in the latter portion, and the inability to compare 5-20 years more of life with medication to an instant death. I know that the low chance of his infection didn't factor in given he was not educated on that matter.
    Well 5-20 years isnt so bad when you think about it compared to instant death, but he didnt have to think about these things to begin with.
    i just can't believe how stupid you can be to wait saying something when its something so serious. in the end its her stupidity that got her killed. its shocking news, but im not surprised about what he did. though im also not saying its the right thing to do

Quote Originally Posted by Annapolis View Post
    Well first of all the sample size is large enough because they were able to create a reasonable confidence interval with 95% confidence. 95% confidence is the standard for a large majority of studies and they met that standard. Is being 95% confident that it is within those intervals really that bad? In addition their sample size may not be that huge but that is the nature of this research. Do you know of a study with a smaller confidence interval and higher sample size looking at heterosexual transmission at single contact?

Also I'm not sure why you're advising me to change my argument. I have been consistently arguing that ignorance is not a reason to commit murder. Look back at my recent posts.
    I didn't emphasize why that sample was not a good one to go off but it's because it's taken in the wrong community first off, you can't compare research that specifically because while trying to not sound racist they are the African American community. I'm not exactly sure what country you live in but regardless the african and or the african american have much larger sample sizes especially with in HIV and AIDS within their community they do mention kenya being one of the countries being a higher risk factor in the fray but that doesn't equate to the scale of which i'm pointing out. Again while not trying to sound racist HIV/AIDS are predominantly in these demographics. The biggest flaw i see in this article is that all is that the placement of time in the article you posted, it is way too out of date and is due for an update. Times change everything in determining the data, you don't know what's changed over the years, and you also don't account for mutation, it's a different time and a different disease from now, you're talking about 1980's-1996 too far of a gap in time compared to now. Basically there are probably better statistics out there than this one.

As far as your argument of ignorance is not a reason to commit murder, there are a lot of holes in that and it can be argued infront of a judge. We're talking about a death sentence vs 8-20 years in prison. Which is why you can't blankly use that statement as a means of conviction, plenty of court cases have argued against the whole ignorance is on reason to commit murder and won but they also did win with other reasons on top of that which is why i said the argument you made is not solidified enough to come to a consensus of conviction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xether View Post
    If HIV is so easy to deal with(medically),the infection rates are so low, and the people who have it are so informed and responsible, how come it keeps spreading?
    There isn't a simple answer for this.

To give it a best shot -- it started in the LGBT community, where it rampaged around freaking everyone out -- people got smart, got safe, and the infection rates dropped...in that community. But then it spread to other communities and people were ignorant because "HIV is a gay disease".

Now you have big issues in poverty stricken areas where birth control and STD education is lacking -- you can look at the epidemic in Africa for evidence of that.

And you will always have people being risky and stupid. Every single person I know who got infected with HIV was either doing something stupid and risky, or was misinformed as to how stupid and risky their behavior actually was.

So until protection is readily accessible and used (hey abstinence only education I'm looking at you) and assistance and education is given to the poor to help, infection rates will still be higher than we should see.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    She gave him a death sentence. Why should he not give her the same?
    Because 1) he has no idea whether he's infected. There's like a 1/900 chance of transmission from a man to a woman--it's not something easily done, 2) HIV is far from a death sentence these days even if he was infected, which is unlikely, and 3) we shouldn't be promoting vigilante justice. I don't know about anyone else, but I value due process.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure it does. It says she picked a volatile man to not tell that she had HIV and had unprotected sex with him. That is malicious. Almost strikes me as intentional malice.
    And what news source has given you such insight into her motivations? Most likely her actions were driven not by malice, but love, and fear of rejection should the truth come out. While not making her actions redeemable, this is distinctly different from intentionally wanting to harm him. If her goal really was only to spread the virus, than I doubt she would have come out and told him herself afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    Well 5-20 years isnt so bad when you think about it compared to instant death, but he didnt have to think about these things to begin with.
    i just can't believe how stupid you can be to wait saying something when its something so serious. in the end its her stupidity that got her killed. its shocking news, but im not surprised about what he did. though im also not saying its the right thing to do
    Than that is something we agree on. I by no means believe the manner of her death vindicates her actions, but her being outright killed over it was an unjust act. She should have been put in prison with a red mark on her head for the rest of her life.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Meh I think what happened was that she felt that after she contracted the disease she would never be loved again. Then this guy shows up starts hitting on her, shes takes the chance that she thought would never happen. She likes him and so shes afraid of telling him that she's infected out of fear that he leaves her. She thinks he truly loves her and assumes he'd love her no-matter what but to make sure they are bound forever she has unprotected sex with him so they can share the same fate and after she tells him he goes nuts and kills her. YAY OVERACTIVE IMAGINATION

Quote Originally Posted by Dylamoo View Post
    I didn't emphasize why that sample was not a good one to go off but it's because it's taken in the wrong community first off, you can't compare research that specifically because while trying to not sound racist they are the African American community. I'm not exactly sure what country you live in but regardless the african and or the african american have much larger sample sizes especially with in HIV and AIDS within their community they do mention kenya being one of the countries being a higher risk factor in the fray but that doesn't equate to the scale of which i'm pointing out. Again while not trying to sound racist HIV/AIDS are predominantly in these demographics. The biggest flaw i see in this article is that all is that the placement of time in the article you posted, it is way too out of date and is due for an update. Times change everything in determining the data, you don't know what's changed over the years, and you also don't account for mutation, it's a different time and a different disease from now, you're talking about 1980's-1996 too far of a gap in time compared to now. Basically there are probably better statistics out there than this one.

As far as your argument of ignorance is not a reason to commit murder, there are a lot of holes in that and it can be argued infront of a judge. We're talking about a death sentence vs 8-20 years in prison. Which is why you can't blankly use that statement as a means of conviction, plenty of court cases have argued against the whole ignorance is on reason to commit murder and won but they also did win with other reasons on top of that which is why i said the argument you made is not solidified enough to come to a consensus of conviction.
    The study may not be perfect for this case, but it was the best I found. There might be better indicators for transmission rates per contact, but I just couldn't find them. As far as HIV being more prevalent in the black community, the CDC says that's true. But I'm not sure that higher prevalence in a population would lead to a higher rate of transmission per contact.

Anyway I agree that his ignorance doesn't necessitate a death sentence. I just wanted to point out that he was acting on an ignorant assumption and therefore further reduced the justification of his actions. I really don't know law very well so I won't pretend to predict a sentence for him, my point was just that he is certainly not justified in his actions.

And what news source has given you such insight into her motivations? Most likely her actions were driven not by malice, but love, and fear of rejection should the truth come out. While not making her actions redeemable, this is distinctly different from intentionally wanting to harm him. If her goal really was only to spread the virus, than I doubt she would have come out and told him herself afterwards.
    you're probably right, however, and this is a pretty big "however", she lives in Texas, one of the 36 states that makes it illegal to not disclose that information, so she had a legal obligation to let him know, otherwise she would face assault with a deadly weapon charges. she's in a state where they actually think saliva can transmit HIV/AID's, she would of been fucked for life, lol

whether she "intended" to harm him or not is a moot point, since she had a legal obligation to tell him, per her states laws.

so even if he was "cool" with it, he could still take her to court and she'd probably get a hefty sentence. i do not however, condone what he did, but this is from a purely legal standpoint.

from the state of texas law books:

Texas – HIV transmission cases have been brought to court under aggravated assault laws whereby a person “intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly… uses or exhibits a deadly weapon as part of an assault”. Saliva of an HIV infected person is considered a deadly weapon.

I'd get myself tested, if I found out she gave me an HIV death sentence, then I'd kill her.

Much more reasonable. Plus it gives her a head start in running away.

Honestly she's as insane as he is to keep that from him and trick him like that, my pity for her is minimal. I'd put it on the same tier as her offering the guy a cup of wine, then saying afterwards "oh yea did I mention it was poisoned? I may have forgot to mention that."
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2012-09-14 at 02:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    you're probably right, however, and this is a pretty big "however", she lives in Texas, one of the 36 states that makes it illegal to not disclose that information, so she had a legal obligation to let him know, otherwise she would face assault with a deadly weapon charges. she's in a state where they actually think saliva can transmit HIV/AID's, she would of been fucked for life, lol

whether she "intended" to harm him or not is a moot point, since she had a legal obligation to tell him, per her states laws.

so even if he was "cool" with it, he could still take her to court and she'd probably get a hefty sentence. i do not however, condone what he did, but this is from a purely legal standpoint.

from the state of texas law books:

Texas – HIV transmission cases have been brought to court under aggravated assault laws whereby a person “intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly… uses or exhibits a deadly weapon as part of an assault”. Saliva of an HIV infected person is considered a deadly weapon.
    so spitting on someone is considered attempted murder? thats nuts

10+ Year Old Account
    She had kids and he still killed her. wow

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    so spitting on someone is considered attempted murder? thats nuts
    lol, ya. but you gotta remember, this is Texas, the homestate of gov. Perry and former president Bush, they fought to outlaw stem cell research because they honestly thought we were killing babies to get them, when in fact there are now ways to extract them from living, breathing, people.

its just ass backwards due to ignorance. much like a lot of posters here, that think it was "ok" to kill her in cold blood.

irony in this situation.......im willing to bet he's not even infected, lol

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 11:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Honestly she's as insane as he is to keep that from him and trick him like that, my pity for her is minimal. I'd put it on the same tier as her offering the guy a cup of wine, then saying afterwards "oh yea did I mention it was poisoned? I may have forgot to mention that."

lol, thats a pretty spot on analogy.