A few questions about Studying Abroad in College as an American?

1. How likely are you to get in after signing up?
    2. Can anyone suggest a country to study abroad in?
    3. Can you study abroad in a country that you don't know the language of?
    4. How long do you usually go for? 5. How many times can I study abroad in a row? Like, if I went to England for a whole year to study, could I sign up to go back the following month? (new!; as posted below)
    Last edited by Thalian; 2012-09-11 at 03:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. How likely are you to get in after signing up? If you have good grades and a reason, likely
    2. Can anyone suggest a country to study abroad in? One relevant to what you are doing
    3. Can you study abroad in a country that you don't know the language of? Probably not. That's part of the point
    4. How long do you usually go for? A semester to a year

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Depends on the school or program
    2. I suggest China and Taiwan. (especially for the sciences, business, economics, political studies, etc)
    3. I have a friend whose first language is German, they know french and English well. Right now they are in Taipei Taiwan studying economics in English speaking classes. He also learned some mandarin with me during a summer program we attended at the same university in Taipei.
    4. I personally studied abroad for two months (*summer session*) I have had friends who have studied a full semester, I even have a friend who basically moved to Brussels and has been studying there for two years.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. How likely are you to get in after signing up? No idea
    2. Can anyone suggest a country to study abroad in? Do you know any language other than English? If yes, maybe you should go to that country.
    3. Can you study abroad in a country that you don't know the language of? Of course, if you work hard to learn it while studying. Do not expect classes to be in English.
    4. How long do you usually go for? No idea

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    4. How long do you usually go for?
    1. I never knew anyone not to get in.
    2. My friend met his wife while studying abroad in Estonia. I thought it was a pretty damn awesome country when I went there for their wedding.
    3. Absolutely. My friend Dave studied in Estonia and didn't speak Estonian (still doesn't even though his wife is Estonian now). My sister studied in Hong Kong and still doesn't speak a word of Chinese.
    4. Depends on the program. My friend Dave was in Estonia 8 months. My sister was in Hong Kong 6 months.

I've never met anyone who ever studied abroad that regretted it.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

5. How many times can I study abroad in a row? Like, if I went to England for a whole year to study, could I sign up to go back the following month?

Deleted
    england or scotland, if you can get into one of the ancients you are going to be laughing, it looks great on a cv - people will tell you that it doesnt stand for much now - but recruiters will often put those people to the top of the pile

I would suggest edinburgh - its honestly the nicest city in the UK, the university in world renowned and the whole place is vibrant and buzzing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    england or scotland, if you can get into one of the ancients you are going to be laughing, it looks great on a cv - people will tell you that it doesnt stand for much now - but recruiters will often put those people to the top of the pile

I would suggest edinburgh - its honestly the nicest city in the UK, the university in world renowned and the whole place is vibrant and buzzing
    Edinburgh is one of the nicest cities in Europe imo.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

5. How many times can I study abroad in a row? Like, if I went to England for a whole year to study, could I sign up to go back the following month?
    You could get your degree abroad, you don't really need to go back and forth, I think it works the same way for all EU countries which means that you will need to apply for a residence permit, you can not apply for a residence permit unless you have been admitted to full-time accredited university studies. I think the residence permits are limited to the duration of the study period, or to one year, whichever is shorter. Your permit will then be renewed every year, provided you receive the number of credit points required and can show evidence of continued financial support.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Depends where you're from. If you're from the "first world" and your academics aren't a disaster, most universities will gladly accept you.

I went to Japan - easily in the top 5 best experiences I've ever had.

Unless you're there specifically to pick up a new language, you're not going to learn much from lectures in other subjects (unless taught in English, which many frequently are).

4. How long do you usually go for? 5. How many times can I study abroad in a row? Like, if I went to England for a whole year to study, could I sign up to go back the following month? (new!; as posted below)

I think a year is typically near the maximum for study abroad. More than that and you'd be close to calling the foreign university alma mater.
    In quote above!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Edinburgh is one of the nicest cities in Europe imo.
    It's also one of the most expensive to live in. Also, in regards to going to Uni, which is what I presume you mean by College, Edinburgh Uni's are REALLY picky. Best of luck if you go that route.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. Ask your school
    2. I understand Britain, Australia, and New Zealand are really cool. As is Italy and Israel
    3. ask your school
    4. ask your school
    5, ask your school
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.