PvP power gems, or Primary stat?

Has anyone tested too see if Stormy Deepholm Iolite is higher damage, and healing output compared to Int/Str/Agility?

this question is being asked a lot lately,the correct answer is,there has to be a balance of both.

PS: my main is a lock so I'll be using intellect as the main stat reference.

there's a threshold where gemming pvp power after a certain intellect number has been achieved which will result in an increase in damage/ healing, where as similarly if you only go full out pvp power and ignore intellect it will be less damage/healing than doing the above.

Personally though, I do not have the accurate number nor the formula for it, simply said, I cba to spend the time to do the math for it

On the other hand, I have tried the following:

- I went full out pvp power , gems / cloak enchant etc , even JC epic gems pvp power but I had to use pvp power/int purple gem to keep my int meta socket functional.
    I reached about 30% ( or something a tad above it, I think it was 30.21% or so ) , but by doing so I had to sacrifice approximately 300 int, the result was my damage was about equal to what I had previously , which was about 22-23% pvp power and 300 int more.

I then tried balancing it out, increased some int ( about 200 more int at the cost of pvp power) and I'm currently standing around 25% pvp power with about 9.8k SP and I think this is giving me a tad more damage than any of my previous gemming .

Don't take my word for it though, as I've said it's not in any mean accurate, I guess we'll have to wait for someone to come up with a formula.

At least I hope this helped a bit
    Last edited by wholol; 2012-09-11 at 01:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sticking to primary stat till 90. 2 weeks till pve leveling, why waste the gold.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I'm sticking to primary stat till 90. 2 weeks till pve leveling, why waste the gold.
    This is exactly the attitude I am taking, the potential gains at 85 are very limited if they exist at all, it isn't worth the expense for such a short time frame. At lvl 90 it will be a different story, PVP gems will give 320 resilience/power vs 160 str/int/agi from the primary stat gems. I think the PVP stats will most likely be better for the majority of classes and specs for that reason.
    @EldacarJS - Warcraft PVP Enthusiast, Theorycrafter, and Blizzard PVP Forum MVP

Primary in Red, Primary+Haste(/Crit/Mast) (Whichever, as the amount of Resi you gain currently is worthless, may as well squeeze more damage/burst) in Yellow and then pure PvP power in Blues. That's what I'm using atm as a Ret Pally

It's the same argument between ArP and Str/Agi (Back in BC/Wrath) in a way. The pure Primary would yield a higher DPS gain per point to start with, however as you get more passive Primary, the value of ArP(In this case pvP power) increased because it allowed for more damage while maintaining the increased vulnerability from the lack of Armor.

In this case, I'm sat with just over a 25% damage increase from PvP power. If I swapped out my gem selection to be; Red: Primary, Yellow: PvP Power+Haste(Mast/Crit), Blue: PvP power. I might see an increase in damage done, because my gear (Full Cataclysmic, same as everyone else should be by now ;p) has enough base Str (Or Int/Agi, whichever Primary) to make up for the immediate loss of Str.

I've yet to read some definitive information about which is the most effective at 85, but I think I remember seeing alot of people stacking PvP power at 90. Who knows, it might change.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldacar View Post
    This is exactly the attitude I am taking, the potential gains at 85 are very limited if they exist at all, it isn't worth the expense for such a short time frame. At lvl 90 it will be a different story, PVP gems will give 320 resilience/power vs 160 str/int/agi from the primary stat gems. I think the PVP stats will most likely be better for the majority of classes and specs for that reason.
    ^^ this and why waste the gold.

@Korgoth

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Because: I happen to have a massive amount of gold to play around with. Not to mention a Max Level Jewel Crafter, Enchanter, Inscriptionist, Leather Worker, and Alchemist, in fact, everything except Engineering. Just because YOU are on Warcraft Welfare, doesn't mean that everybody is.

Infracted for 3+ month necro. Locked thread too. ~Snuggli
    Last edited by Snuggli; 2013-04-10 at 03:10 PM.