Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Intermittent fasting > Finally got me a proper 6 (almost 8 pack)

I've been a gym-rat for awhile. (4 days per week - Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri, rest days = Wed/Sat/Sun.)

I also follow a strict diet, but I couldn't get my body fat low enough to get past a 4pack. I tried intermittent fasting which I kept hearing helps you burn body fat while maintaining muscle. I found it hard to believe because of being told constantly over & over to eat small meals throughout the day. The small meals per day gave me the shits and for whatever reason I stayed hungry and had cheat days probably once a week or two.

So I decided to try intermittent fasting a few months ago....and months later I am still eating this way daily. For the first time in my life I am not thinking about food. I fast between 16-20 hours every day and I eat my daily calories within a 4-8 hour period, then I fast again for another 16-20 hours. I workout in the mornings on an empty stomach and I do not eat until 2:00pm.

I am eating 2,400 calories on my work out days, and 2,000 calories on my rest days. I have not had a single cheat meal or cheat day in several months. For whatever reason eating all my calories in the small-time frame keeps me full. And the funny thing is...I actually have MORE energy while working out in the morning on an empty stomach having fasted for over 12 hours during the night. I'm not even having any pre/post workout anymore. The only thing I put in me is water & 0.5-2 calorie diet sodas during the fasting times.

Just sharing my experience with intermittent fasting - I know it's not for everyone, like if you have a stressful job/life - chances are you couldn't do it unless you were extremely tough, but it has worked for me. I'll be eating this way for the rest of my life. I've been able to bulk/cut with intermittent fasting on 100% clean foods all these months.

Best thing about it there is no buying anything or spending money doing this....no bullshit sales gimmicks or shakes/pills. I highly suggest you all research Intermittent fasting for yourselves to see if you're able to do it. I've tried dozens of different things in my life and this shit actually works.

Before you think ......no .... I am not an ecto-morph who with a natural skinny/low body fat. My body-type easily puts fat on if I eat bad foods and don't exercise so I always thought it was impossible for me to get a legit 6 pack.

If you're having no progress with the standard 6 meals a day then just try this. Would be great to get a discussion going on about this.

Deleted
    Ive been on Intermittent fasting for about a week now and i feel great.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    First I've heard of it, honestly. It sounds contrary to the usual meal-time advice I hear going around, but I'm willing to Google anything at least once. I have a long, long way to go before I could even think about "pack" abs. I'm still rocking "keg" style belly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Deleted
    This was something I've never heard about before. I'm definitely going to check up on this and see if it's something for me aswell! Thanks for the tip

Deleted
    If you got alot of weight to lose you shouldnt start with this, but if you got like 20 pounds to the last 10 pounds to lose, i highly recommend this for anyone.
    Just remember to drink alot of water if you are going to do this.
    Atm i go without food from 20:00-12:00 and eat between 12:00-20:00 So you dont eat for 16 hours and then you got a 8 hour window to eat your calories.
    The only things you can drink during the non eating window is Tea, BLACK Coffee and Water. Nothing else.
    If you do it right the fat will melt off.
    You hit a platue? Give Intermittent fasting a week and your platue will be shattered.

---------- Post added 2012-07-12 at 07:58 AM ----------

so technically, all you're skipping is breakfast. And not eating after 8 pm.

---------- Post added 2012-07-12 at 07:59 AM ----------

I would also recommend exercising on a empty stomach, no matter the exercise.
    And wait an hour before eating.
    If you want to know more here are a few youtube channels.
    youtube.com/lowcarbcory
    youtube.com/user/twinmuscleworkout
    youtube.com/user/fastingtwins

You will get hungry, but just drink a tall glass of ice cold water and you'll be fine.

---------- Post added 2012-07-12 at 10:39 AM ----------

Also you cant think "Oh this is great i can eat what i want and get a 6 pack." Thats not true, intermittent fasting is just a tool.
    Results are 80% diet and 20% exercise.
    This isnt aimed towards anyone, its just a tip.
    Last edited by mmocd8903d86c5; 2012-07-12 at 07:59 AM. Reason: I have alot to say

To the poster above - You're allowed milk in tea/coffee, sugarfree gum and also items such as diet soda during fasting. A can of pepsi max was a life saver when I did it - just don't go overboard.

Should probably put some reference: Not enough posts to use links, but google LeanGains guide and see key points.
    LeanGains is a varient of IF that incorporates macro/calorie cycling (ignore that bit) - the key points mentioned are generally Intermittent Fasting rules however.

No calories are to be ingested during the fasted phase, though coffee, calorie free sweeteners, diet soda and sugar free gum are ok (even though they might contain trace amount of calories). A tiny splash of milk in your coffee won’t affect anything either (½-1 teaspoon of milk per cup at the most - use sparingly and sensibly if you drink a lot of coffee). Neither will sugar free gum in moderation (~20 g).
    Last edited by Chocobro; 2012-07-12 at 12:34 PM.

the great Martin Berkhan strikes again

10+ Year Old Account
    What's your day structure like? I'm willing to try this style of diet out but have doubts about it working as I spend 9 hours in an office, daily. I still have time (and use that time) to either jog or do a one hour gym session early in the morning (6:30 - 7:45), and gym or jogging (depending on what I did in the morning) after work at 6:00 PM till around 8:00 pm.

I have around 25 pounds to lose.

:/

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Been on IF for 4 months now, it's great but finding it hard to stop eating when I end my fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayum View Post
    What's your day structure like? I'm willing to try this style of diet out but have doubts about it working as I spend 9 hours in an office, daily. I still have time (and use that time) to either jog or do a one hour gym session early in the morning (6:30 - 7:45), and gym or jogging (depending on what I did in the morning) after work at 6:00 PM till around 8:00 pm.

I have around 25 pounds to lose.

:/
    If you're looking to lose 25 pounds, a well-balanced diet and exercise will do the trick. IF/carb-cycling/CKD should strictly be used for individuals looking to drop their body fat percentage below 10%.

As for the actual diet, I've heard mixed reviews. Some love it, some hate it (like everything other diet out there!). Personally, I've been cycling carbs and it's worked wonders in getting me down to about 7% BF. I have the 6 pack, but have NEVER been able to get the 8. We'll chalk that up to genetics . For cycling carbs, I do 3 days low carb (50g-100g), then 1 day high carb (300g-350g). That 1 carb-up/refeed day also helps stave off cravings knowing that you have an awesome day coming up soon!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just naturally how I've been eating for years. I have one large meal per day, and the rest of the time consume water or diet soda.

Not at all a gym rat, but I bike a lot. Do not care for a 6-pack.

Drink too much beer for that anyway.

Deleted
    Do keep in mind that if you do IF, dont think results will come super quick like losing 3 pounds a week instead of 1
    You will get results faster, but not way faster.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I naturally ate like this for a few years without any exercise, and I drastically shed weight regardless of what I eat when I do it. The only problem is eating the right foods and absorbing enough protein to save your lean muscle mass.

Quote Originally Posted by hksin11186 View Post
    First I've heard of it, honestly. It sounds contrary to the usual meal-time advice I hear going around, but I'm willing to Google anything at least once. I have a long, long way to go before I could even think about "pack" abs. I'm still rocking "keg" style belly.
    That's because most of the advice regarding meal / nutrient timing and amount of meals is just to help peddle supplements.

Think of it this way if the whole population knows that you could gain muscle or lose weight solidly with a regular 3 meal a day diet with no set times for your meals - then how much harder would it be to sell convenience items like protein shakes?
    Don't get me wrong supplements can have a place but they are there to supplement a diet not be a major part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Epiphanes View Post
    I naturally ate like this for a few years without any exercise, and I drastically shed weight regardless of what I eat when I do it. The only problem is eating the right foods and absorbing enough protein to save your lean muscle mass.
    I've been a natural intermittent faster for years before berkhan picked up - not because i knew it worked as a regime for getting shredded but simply because i'm generally a greed fat c*** - if i have breakfast on a morning it leaves me ravenous for the full day often regardless of how much i eat i would still be hungry - it's an annoying thing to go through especially when you work with food :s
    Last edited by [Apok]; 2012-07-20 at 10:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure you can take advantage of the benefits of IF for regular weight loss as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can take advantage of the benefits of IF for regular weight loss as well.
    You can, but there's really no reason to. A simple 500cal deficit will do you just as well if you're above 15%ish bf.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am expected to fast because of my family (religious reasons), even though my goals is to gain more weight, but perhaps I can use this as an advantage and use lose some body fat instead (which I wanted to do later on anyway). But how do you make sure you mainly lose fat and maintain muscle?

Deleted
    If you are talking about Ramadan, you are going to lose muscle. No way around it.
    You have to eat right to not lose muscle, if your calorie deficit is too big ( ramadan with its one month fasting ) You will lose muscle.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes Ramadan. So this post is about losing weight and not just fat?

Deleted
    No, id say its just fat. But im not the thread starter. :P