Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Fine, there is a problem.

Now my answers still stand, even if everyone in the world acknowledges that there is a problem the situation is still the same. Either society will need to change (How long is that going to take?)

Or you will need to take matters into your own hands...
    All it takes is for a few people to get the ball rolling. Unless you have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo I don't see why anyone would support the current social mores.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    All it takes is for a few people to get the ball rolling. Unless you have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo I don't see why anyone would support the current social mores.

I don't support it, I just don't think it will change fast enough to make a significant impact to my generation...

Like I said, it has already changed a bit. Women have asked me out before, it just doesn't happen often enough to rely on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    I don't support it, I just don't think it will change fast enough to make a significant impact to my generation...
    be the change you want to see.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

So? That indicates this is a topic I feel passionately about... it's not defensive at all.

If you're not going to be productive to the discussion then I see no further reason to address you.
    Me productive? You are the one who took a general comment, and took it personally and got all defensive, although I in no way directed the statement at you, you seem to have some issues you need to address.

I see no further reason to address you either, as you seem to be walking the line between being passionate, and being something else entirely, very finely. Enjoy your "productive" thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Yeah... the whole "life isn't fair" thing. If the early feminist movement just said "life isn't fair, we should just give up" how far do you think they would have gotten?
    Feminist movements also facilitated in the confusion of the male roles as well. For instance, woman wanted the same chances and roles as males had (fair point). However for the less desirable tasks this all of the sudden was not considered to be something they want. Take putting the trash out, you can see a lot of man nowadays cook, clean whatever, this is not seen as a woman;s task perse. However putting the trash out, apparently still is a man;s job, holding the door open is another example.

15+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the world of 999 standarts and an innovational system of dynamic standart shifting.

Deleted
    being 'laid back' is a great disadvantage for everyone,the less active you are the more does your life (professional and personal) depend on luck, people are simply used to see this sort of behaviour on women(mostly young and mostly in less developed countries)

The thing I find interesting is that guys who aren't career-oriented or out of a job are seen as losers, while no one cares when the same is applied to a woman, they even blame men for trying to hold them back (not necessarily the women without a job, but society as a whole).

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    The thing I find interesting is that guys who aren't career-oriented or out of a job are seen as losers, while no one cares when the same is applied to a woman, they even blame men for trying to hold them back (not necessarily the women without a job, but society as a whole).
    Don't forget stigma against men with children. Remember the men on the Virgin flights who the plane told "couldn't sit next to children"? Then there's the stigma against men who willingly take low paying professions or professions in child care (How many male kindergarten teachers do YOU know?).

Society, in general, seems to think that a man is only allowed to pursue what he really wants as long as "what he really wants" is to work himself to death in a job he hates but pays well.

only if shes married. otherwise its losertown.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    only if shes married. otherwise its losertown.
    I've never heard a single unemployed woman referred as a loser. Actually, I don't think I've ever heard anyone referring to any woman as a loser, no matter how "failed" they are.

I regard both men and women without careers as losers. I have no idea what the general societal perception is, but this is surely the case among people I hang around with.

Is there a reason for male/female societal imbalance?
    Tradition.

Just my theory: It all begins in nature, in physical differences between males and females. Males are generally stronger than females. In nature, the strongest animal dominates the others. And that's how our patriarchal society was built. By strength.

All other things developed from there. For example, if you're a man and you're seen as a "loser" because you don't have a career or a very nice car, it is because there is a very strong tradition of women being taught to choose the richer guy. It is because of politics. Arranged marriages, across the ages. Parents who got their daughters to marry guys on powerful, rich families. Even today, that kind of mindset exists. Very sad, very archaic, but very real.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Tradition.

Just my theory: It all begins in nature, in physical differences between males and females. Males are generally stronger than females. In nature, the strongest animal dominates the others. And that's how our patriarchal society was built. By strength.

All other things developed from there. For example, if you're a man and you're seen as a "loser" because you don't have a career or a very nice car, it is because there is a very strong tradition of women being taught to choose the richer guy. It is because of politics. Arranged marriages, across the ages. Parents who got their daughters to marry guys on powerful, rich families. Even today, that kind of mindset exists. Very sad, very archaic, but very real.
    I would have to agree with you on this. But I would like to add that the Victorian era was a major influence in American society, and throughout the world. Women were supposed to be delicate with refined manners and ettiquite. At the same time, women were receiving more rights, especially when it came to the family, divorce, etc. It was not only filled with double-standards, but it is kind of like a double-edged sword. While women's suffrage would not have been possible without the Victoran age, our societal status was (and somewhat still is) dictated by it.

I've never heard a single unemployed woman referred as a loser. Actually, I don't think I've ever heard anyone referring to any woman as a loser, no matter how "failed" they are.
    dont know why, i hear it pretty often.