Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The way affliction AoE works is rather unique imo.. and that is a good thing.

setting four or five seeds and then causing a chain reaction is great, its just the way the detonation mechanism work is rather tough to work with.. having to set all the seeds, then focusing one seeded target for a cast or two is more time without AoE damage, the way around it I think is letting FF detonate the seed off a target, thus starting the chain.

This way we'll still have the unique way affliction AoE works, but at the same time don't really have to focus a single target for a couple of a casts in an AoE environment.

Speaking purely for myself, I'm far more interested in adjectives like "effective" and "efficient" than I am in "unique" or "interesting".

Deleted
    I made a thread about these stupid whines a while ago. it's already been said in this thread, but SB:SS 2 or 3 mobs, and rotate three SoCs on those mobs for instant explosions. I'm doing 70-80k on 10-15second trash and AOE packs doing this, it's not demo but it'll do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    I made a thread about these stupid whines a while ago. it's already been said in this thread, but SB:SS 2 or 3 mobs, and rotate three SoCs on those mobs for instant explosions. I'm doing 70-80k on 10-15second trash and AOE packs doing this, it's not demo but it'll do.
    The main problem is that when you need AE in raids you need it ASAP. The whole point of AE is that mobs don't have as much life, but are just numerous. If AE mobs live for 10-15+ seconds you're probably in a world of problems on progression bosses. Think of spiders at Beth, bloods at Madness, the exploding adds at Rhyo, blobs at Cho'gal, flowers at Conclave, whelps at Sinestra, adds at Maloriak and I probably forgot a few. That stuff typically has a window of a few seconds in which they *need* to die *right now* or you're screwed.

The very few times you have the time to AE a pack for extended periods of time are very rare (black blobs at Maloriak and whelps at Halfus in Cataclysm) and although fun for damage meters are not as crucial to have high sustained AE on. Not to mention that the burst-AE classes typically can cycle their burst ae quick enough to have high sustained as well.

Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    I made a stupid thread about these whines a while ago. it's already been said in this thread, but SB:SS 2 or 3 mobs, and rotate three SoCs on those mobs for instant explosions. I'm doing 70-80k on 10-15second trash and AOE packs doing this, it's not demo but it'll do.
    Fixed for you.

There is absolutely no way what you suggest is viable for heroic progression fights for the types of scenario's we are talking about. Raid finder yes, casual raiding yes, cutting edge progression raiding absolutely not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rain of Fire should be replaced with a Death And Decay-type ability, and instant gound based shadow-Dot AoE with mid-range cooldown (10-30Seconds)

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is everyone suggesting Harvest Life? Rain of Fire does more damage, and not just a little more, but dramatically more. Since it has an initial tick, re-casting it immediately after the second tick every time yields double the base tick rate. Yes, this OOMs you from full in about 8sec, but if the trash is living longer than that, then there's the SoC rotation instead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Fixed for you.

There is absolutely no way what you suggest is viable for heroic progression fights for the types of scenario's we are talking about. Raid finder yes, casual raiding yes, cutting edge progression raiding absolutely not.
    well you were a snippy whining douchebag in that thread too so why break the habit. one GCD will remove the rampup for the first seed explosion and a second extra GCD gives you the means to have a seed explosion per cast when using two mobs. Affli is behind demo in AOE but the reason people whine about Affliction AOE is that they are just tab-seeding with one soulburned. for evidence of this, check all the posts that think Harvest Life does more DPS than SoC.

also, Affliction not having the best AOE DPS in the game does not mean Affliction Locks will be benched for cutting edge progression, or forced to play Demo. typical hyperbolic 'sky is falling' reaction. dry your eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    The damage from chaining SOC seems good to me its just the ramp up time seems too long. Now if adds with low health need to die fast this can be a disadvantage but if the adds are only alive for like 5-8 seconds than just rain of fire. You wont be topping for add damage but it will get the job done, I do not believe one spec has to be top at every aspect.
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

Imho the castime of Seed is to long. Especially with some dmg pushback it feels like an eternity before you get 3 seeds on 3 targets. Would love to see it as instant cast. But well, never going to happen.
    Faster cast time, and the mechanics like cata (all dmg counts not just yours) would solve lots of the burst issues.

I dont like the affli aoe either, is just annoying and bad compared to other classes or demo, the cast time on seed of corruption needs to be lower so you're able to actually set up 4-5 seeds and have them explode on the adds before 10 out of 20 mobs from a pack die from other ppl aoes.
    Point is by the time your 4-5 seeds explode half of the mobs from the pack will be dead from other players aoe dmg and your aoe dmg will be lower since u werent aoeing on all mobs like everyone else but only on some of them.
    I'd like a 1s cast time on SoC with a reduced dmg.

ERHMAAAGEEERD i cant tank with my fury specc!!!!! nooooooo!!!

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

Quote Originally Posted by Ripfull View Post
    Hello guys - recently i leveled at warlock, just right before patch 5.0.4 hit.
    - Many have told me that affli is the spec to go (I play PvE) my ilvl is 374 and doing around 20-21k dps on dummy.
    Though when i join a dungeon, i have no idea how to AoE. I use soulburn+seed on one target and then RoF so it explodes. Now... this brings me to around 12-15k dps which is totally ridiculous..
    So, i would be appriciated if u have any tips or tricks to tell me.

Ripfull.
    I wouldn't worry about it. As I say below if the mobs are dying that fast and no one is in trouble of dying, who cares? It's not an important number. There's no website tracking highest dps on trash. No intelligent person will go "omg you're only doing 10k on aoe trash? lololololol". Well maybe the person below that says aoe dps on trash does matter. It doesn't though. What'll always be more important is playing how you like. There's no need to even listen "YOU MUST TAKE THIS TALENT" because that's garbage advice too.

Are mobs living so long they're doing way more damage then they should be able to? No? Then you're good and any half intelligent person will agree.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    This statement is incredibly false.
    No it's not, people who give a crap about DPS on mobs dying in seconds are the meter pushers that die to dumb stuff because they just want the top spot on the charts.

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 03:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Fixed for you.

Who the hell is talking about heroic progression fights for this? Take some first grade reading comprehension and hit the OP again.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    Is there a term you have for being shown proof and choosing to dismiss it?
    Starting a Monk Blog; Celestial Fists: http://celestialfists.blogspot.com/
    Called Garrosh as end boss: 10/28/2011

Quote Originally Posted by sinisterwyvern View Post
    No it's not, people who give a crap about DPS on mobs dying in seconds are the meter pushers that die to dumb stuff because they just want the top spot on the charts.
    Another incredibly false statement. What if you are only allowed 4 seconds to kill the mobs?

Who the hell is talking about heroic progression fights for this? Take some first grade reading comprehension and hit the OP again.
    Perhaps you need to realize that bad burst AoE is bad burst AoE whether on dungeon 5-man trash or on the end-game heroic boss of the expansion, in other words, just because a player points out a problem with a spec on a 5-man doesn't mean the problem disappears on harder content. I don't know if that's first-grade logic, but it seems pretty close.

I wouldn't worry about it. As I say below if the mobs are dying that fast and no one is in trouble of dying, who cares? It's not an important number. There's no website tracking highest dps on trash. No intelligent person will go "omg you're only doing 10k on aoe trash? lololololol". Well maybe the person below that says aoe dps on trash does matter. It doesn't though. What'll always be more important is playing how you like. There's no need to even listen "YOU MUST TAKE THIS TALENT" because that's garbage advice too.

I wasn't aware that you only ever AoE dps on trash.

Also, if you want to dps however you like then be prepared to not be doing the maximum amount of damage that you could potentially be doing. As a DPSer your job is to do DPS in the right times on the right mobs while minimizing damage taken. If you're not maximizing your classes potential to achieve the goal of max damage on the correct targets, then not only are you not doing your job correctly, but you're also holding your fellow raiders back.

Meter whores who die to dumb shit for the top spot on the charts are terrible players. If a meter whore dies attempting to dps then they're doing it wrong as you do no damage while dead.

People who attempt to do the most damage they can on the fight within the confines of the fight mechanics and strat should and in most cases do care about both burst and sustained AoE damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think part of it depends on the situation. If there is a high health add surrounded by the adds that have to die in that four second window or by the boss itself then you can just seed the boss who has your dots already. So far in raiding there has only been a few fights where the adds must die that fast (or the fight is alot harder if they do not) and each way there has been a way to make it work, either through fight mechanics or using the boss to explode seeds with.
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

Well the way I've been doing it on my warlock (and she's still seriously undergearred but still hitting HARD) is SB,SS on every target if they are below 4,keep one shard for haunt to focus on one and burn the hell out of that one with malefic grasp.Drain Soul as soon as it hit 20% to get some soul shards back (whether it dies or not) and try to keep my dots up on every target.Haven't tried Harvest Life yet (since I went for soul leech) but will give it a shot.Now if the targets are above 4 SB and seed as many as you can then just focus on one target and watch the "corruption fireworks" go off.

i've been putting up SB: seed, regular seed, and breaking it with Haunt. Doesn't compare to other aoe, but meh