Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Dropping repair bills in mmo's and games in general.

I'm tired of every other RPG game coming out with some sort of repair system. This is especialy true for MMORPG's at least the one i have played or heard about. Repair costs on items are a lame way to make people play/grind the game. Even thou repairs are not a major issue for players that have an abundance of currency, i still think that there needs to be a better system for currency sinking then repairs. So what do you guys think, should repairs remain as they are, or should the developers find another way for the players to spend their currency?
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it should remain, personally I've always liked the feeling when my gear breaks and I get a slight panicing feeling cause I'm so much weaker until I repair it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

In single player games this aspect was dropped quite a time ago.

Wherever it is stlil present, it should be dropped or redesigned in such a way, that it got reduction only if you die. Current design punishes everyone playing melee chars by "natural wear and tear". I loathe to pay repair bills when I play safe, without deaths, it feels a lot like tax system.

Better yet, have damaged gear affect your stats.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those who speak it" - George Orwell

RPG means RolePlayingGame. The repairs are there to give a depth of that your gear breaks and that you have to repair it, and not (just) another gold-sinking thing. I think they should still be there.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think its a good idea that MMOs have is as its a good money sink, and if you're dying a lot and starting to go broke it means its time to take a break.

Repair bills, travel costs, vendor reagents and many more are all gold sinks which are necessary. Without theses you'd get inflation etc.
    Ours not to make reply. Ours not to reason why. Ours but to do and die!

Deleted
    When I played wow I kinda hated the repair system, I mean, the whole thing of wasting almost 200g on full repairs... I mean, it's annoying because I hate to do quests just for the money and grinding, and it's not my thing.

I don't mind the whole repair thing, the cost is the one thing I hate. Games could have a repair system that would "force"(?) the player to like make a puzzle when repairing, like putting two pieces together and the armor gets repaired with no fee, or you can skip this and it repairs for itself but for a fee. Something like that is good I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortezu View Post
    Repair bills, travel costs, vendor reagents and many more are all gold sinks which are necessary. Without theses you'd get inflation etc.
    This. Plus i think it adds realism to games too. Do you think you could get bashed on by swords and maces in real life 24/7 and have perfect armor?

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    When I played wow I kinda hated the repair system, I mean, the whole thing of wasting almost 200g on full repairs... I mean, it's annoying because I hate to do quests just for the money and grinding, and it's not my thing.

I don't mind the whole repair thing, the cost is the one thing I hate. Games could have a repair system that would "force"(?) the player to like make a puzzle when repairing, like putting two pieces together and the armor gets repaired with no fee, or you can skip this and it repairs for itself but for a fee. Something like that is good I think.
    I quite like your idea of a "puzzle" for repairing... that would give me more of a sense that im actually repairing my armor
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikiya View Post
    RPG means RolePlayingGame. The repairs are there to give a depth of that your gear breaks and that you have to repair it, and not (just) another gold-sinking thing. I think they should still be there.
    It's a "gold - sinking thing" pure and simple as well as a time-sink. No-one thinks to themselves when their gear breaks "WoW, this is so immersive"; RPGs don't include toilet breaks for a reason and that's some real world stuff just isn't fun in a game. Now, if item degradation came hand in hand with an actual honest to goodness decent crafting system which got people together to repair and maintain each other gear that would be another thing, but then people would resent the fact that they were dependent on other people for the maintenance of their gear. It's definitely an archaic system and one designed around having to spend time visiting a vendor I suspect than the currency cost which could be absorbed from the economy in less intrusive ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post

That 200g repair bill forced you ( and me...) to do a couple of dailies every so often, which means people are more likely to continue to play with these gold sinks.
    Ours not to make reply. Ours not to reason why. Ours but to do and die!

Deleted
    Come up with other, better currency sinks then.

Making gold vs gold sinks is just one of the fundamental aspects of MMOs, just like generic quests/parties etc. Until a revolutionary idea comes along we are stuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Making gold vs gold sinks is just one of the fundamental aspects of MMOs, just like generic quests/parties etc. Until a revolutionary idea comes along we are stuck with it.
    There are many other "revolutionary" ideas implemented out there, but mostly in single player games. Why not in MMO? Because when ingame currency becomes too useful, it opens the way for it to be used as commodity, purchaseable/sellable with real money by various shady or lazy people.

Repairs are bad. There are better ways to punish deaths. Punishing simply gameplay (natural "wear and tear") is stupid. As an example of well established system of it's time (I am not sure how thing work there now, as didn't check for couple years) - Allods Online. Items have no durability there, however if you die - there is a chance that some of your gear will become cursed. Removing curse is extremely expensive (something equal of doing 30 dailies in WoW for 1 item), but you can play it safe, and buy special talismans, which are cheaper, and each time you die - 1 special talisman gets destroyed but prevents any piece of your gear to become cursed. Gold was used for many different things, but due to quite smart setup (and elaborated micro-transaction system) - gold sellers were basically non-existent.

Deleted
    Having diminishing quality gear that is unrepairable is a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Having diminishing quality gear that is unrepairable is a possibility.
    It was implemented in some of the earlier games. One of most awful ideas, which did lead to never using best gear you have and to avoiding any in-game activity. It brings up anti-gaming question: "I just got good piece of gear. If I will go to participate in some game activity, it will become broken and I will have to reearn it again (which might be close to impossible for some very rare pieces of gear). In order to not lose gear I have, I just won't be playing until there is a chance I will get equal or better gear." I guess I don't have to explain in more details how bad this idea is :P

I guess the analogy "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." fits here, as cliche as that sounds on this topic...

The system is fine, if you honestly can't get together the little bit of gold to repair your gear then you're doing something wrong...

I recently transferred my paladin, didn't take much gold with me, spent it on mats, have on average 500 gold now, I PVP as a healer, and get beat on a lot, I still manage to have enough gold to repair my gear just fine all the time...
    I don't do dailies, I occasionally do BT, if I am out of gold I run a dungeon, que for a heroic, you get about 100-300 gold per dungeon no problem.
    And lets face it, if you don't have the gold to repair and you wait till your gear is completely broken to try to repair then you deserve to not be able to fix it for not playing smart.

Don't be one of those people that is like "Oh hey I'm a tank I like to tank things, I have no gold and what gold I get I spend on flasks and food and don't ever repair my gear" and then cry that you hate the repair system because you can't afford the cheap prices.

I have a melee DPS, a range DPS, a Tank, and a Tank/PvP Healer, and on none of them do I ever have a problem with repairs...

Lets face it, the system isn't the issue, lazy and greedy people that don't want to put the money into the system is the issue.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    It was implemented in some of the earlier games. One of most awful ideas, which did lead to never using best gear you have and to avoiding any in-game activity. It brings up anti-gaming question: "I just got good piece of gear. If I will go to participate in some game activity, it will become broken and I will have to reearn it again (which might be close to impossible for some very rare pieces of gear). In order to not lose gear I have, I just won't be playing until there is a chance I will get equal or better gear." I guess I don't have to explain in more details how bad this idea is :P
    Dark Cloud had it - it was VERY annoying.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

upto 10k guild repairs a day....doesnt bother me at all xD

only 1 game did repair system annoy me that was legend of mir, each time you repaired your item lost total durability, so say it was a rare ring 5/5 dura each repair it would drop to a hidden 4.8/4.8 if you repaired it from 0/5. so eventually it would be 4/4 and 3/3 2/2 1/1 and eventually break in combat almost instantly.

this lead to people using crap cheap gear instead of the best gear they have because they didnt want to waste durability on their best gear, weapons could be special repaired though to avoid dura loss. but when i get new items i dont want to worry about wasting dura i like to wear my best gear.
    Last edited by Socialhealer; 2012-09-11 at 01:22 PM.