Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Warding in different ranks

    So I'm a main support, started at 1320 elo then down to 800 and now going up to 1000 mostly supporting or jungling.
    I guess I'm doing good for my elo lately, 80%+ wins in the last week, warding a lot and always buying oracles if I can.
    The problem is that at the beginning of the game I just...can't....ward the top part of the map and not really even the mid often,
    usually I leave my AD solo only if we killed one of the enemies or I know exactly where is the enemy jungler.

    So I wonder,
    at higher elo do the people ward their lanes or they can just moan moan moan as in the low elo?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Immortal Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    7,992
    They should ward their own lane. First back is stuff + at least 1 ward. Doesn't mean they always do it, but that's beside the point.

  3. #3
    Dreadlord Castozor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    782
    It´s one of the advantages of jungling if you ask me, if they forget or simply don´t bother to buy wards you can drop some in the river since you are roaming there anyway. But I´m only level 28 so I don´t know what level 30 normals look like.

  4. #4
    Yes, as jungler I always try to ward and I hope at least my jungler when I support will do the same,
    it is so easy to notice the advantage of warding in a team where all the team do that.

    Oh, and I really love how the moan about few wards after 10 minutes of continued teamfights with no chance to go back.

  5. #5
    Moderator Axethor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Elchea Library
    Posts
    3,485
    I don't buy wards but that's mostly because I'm overconfident and I know how to pick my fights well. Besides, it's more fun getting a double kill when the jungler catches you by surprise.

    Wards are great and everybody should by them, it's just a hard habit to get into. When I play top lane I buy Wriggles for this exact reason, a free ward I don't have to remember to buy. Also, my ward count fluctuates based on the champ I'm playing. On Shen there isn't a single spot on the top side of river I don't have vision of, while on Darius or Singed I'm almost daring them to come top and feed me kills.

    I'm right in the middle of 1150-1200 ELO. Warding has not gotten better from the laners, but it has gotten better from the supports.

    Axethor - level 90 UH/Blood DK
    Raelof - level 90 BM Hunter

    Steam | Twitter

    LoL Forum Mod | General Forum FAQ

  6. #6
    When I play support I only ward bot, mid and bottom jungle and, maybe, even the enemy's bottom jungle at the blue golem or near the tribrush area.

    As a support, you don't have to ward any lane or jungle other than your own, but if you can ward bottom mid, then do it.

    About top, you don't need to ward top, let the top laner do that, you're too far away to go there, it will take you ages to go there and come back and you will be leaving you ad carry alone, which will make him loose a lot of CS and will probably give the enemies' a kill, which isn't good, so just focus on your lane, the dragon zone and bottom mid lane.

  7. #7
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    (´・ω・`)
    Posts
    1,729
    Always ward top, bot and jungle entrances as much as possible. You can ward mid a bit, but there are too many routes for the jungler to gank for you to cover all of them.

  8. #8
    Herald of the Titans Muzual's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    足立さんの家に
    Posts
    2,840
    You also shouldn't be warding top because you will lose too much exp if you are going up there regularly. It's your responsibility to ward for bot in the start of the game, Ward where you see fit in the late game, but while laning, it's their fault if they don't ward

    なんで自殺するのかな他の人殺せばいいのに

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    You also shouldn't be warding top because you will lose too much exp if you are going up there regularly. It's your responsibility to ward for bot in the start of the game, Ward where you see fit in the late game, but while laning, it's their fault if they don't ward
    This is pretty much what I do, bot is always warded, and mid if needed / I can get away with it. Playing a lot of support makes you love wards, even when i play other lanes I love warding them and denying ganks I don't even play ranked...

    If your team in other lanes is whining at you for not warding their lanes early game tell them to shush, and buy their own wards...

  10. #10
    Blademaster IamSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    28
    You should only be warding your lane and generally covering the dragon area. Sometimes as a support I like to aggressively ward the enemy jungle if I, duo with the jungler or a full premade.

    To answer your primary question though people have to ward their own lanes, asking you to ward top is ridiculous.
    Continuous effort - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    League of Legends Points | Get Anything | Free Ultimate Game Cards |
    My Squidoo Profile | Club Penguin Codes | My Blog | Games Like |

  11. #11
    Top should always have the river warded, 1 ward for 3 minutes is 75g, it's not that much!
    Bot has support as well, so river/drake will be warded, that's great. If you're doing great on bot, I think warding one bushes near middle would be nice, but they should have at least one warded already.

    You can ward enemy blue/red, if you're able to safely get there, it's a nice thing to have that as well.

  12. #12
    Dreadlord Castozor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    782
    On the topic of warding, what's the best way to ward top? Just the small bush or tri bush and jungle/baron entrance? I am never quite sure when I go top how to ward there. I feel only the small bush doesn't give me enough of a heads up when I push the lane but warding 2 places at a time is more costly.

  13. #13
    Moderator Isrozzis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The land of too much heat
    Posts
    3,240
    Wards win games! Though early game as a support you won't really have a chance to ward the top part of the map. That's rather up to your jungler mid and top. As the game goes on and your team starts roaming, then you should be warding wherever is relevant.

  14. #14
    I try to buy 2 wards every time I back as top/mid, sometimes more as jungle/support.

    As an AD carry, you're naturally buying fewer wards due to support...but as the game progresses I start buying 1 or 2 here and there.

    Wards win games, period. If you aren't buying a dozen or more wards per game, you're doing it wrong.

    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    "Elo Hell is where the Ego is greater than the Elo." -Bystekhilcar

  15. #15
    Wards begin to be really important once teamfights start, frankly.

    When you teamfight, you NEED to know where they are at all times... Nothing is worse than the enemy ADC running into brushes going invisible and you can't use your gapclosers.

    Anyone who blames the support about wards prior to ~25 mins are idiots. You are ALWAYS responsible for your own safety.

    Want wards+ Buy them yourself. Everyone should ward all game long, except the AD carry, because the support buy HIS WARDS, NOT THE ENTIRE TEAM'S.
    that's a general misconception... support buys "double" the amount of wards, because he is spending gold "for" his ADC...

    TL;DR: Everyone should ward. As support, you only buy wards for yourself + your ADC. Anyone who says otherwise is inexperienced.
    The biggest mistake one can make, is not admitting when you're wrong.

    Grimshac - Neptulon, 4th best guild on Alliance side, Resto Shaman !

  16. #16
    Then I'm probably warding too much spending golds I should use for items, but it is so good to see the enemy team trying to bait u in a brush where you can see them cause it is warded

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyrosso View Post
    Then I'm probably warding too much spending golds I should use for items, but it is so good to see the enemy team trying to bait u in a brush where you can see them cause it is warded
    There's isn't such a thing as warding too much, especially if you're lane is doing well.

    But if you put wards near each other for no reason, then yeah, that is too much.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    There's isn't such a thing as warding too much, especially if you're lane is doing well.

    But if you put wards near each other for no reason, then yeah, that is too much.
    I disagree.

    If you are spending too much on wards and too little on items for shurelias/Locket/Zeke's, you are gimping yourself and your team because you could've gotten earlier teamfighting-items.

    Knowing how many wards to buy is something you simply gotta learn and it varies every match. Especially on the enemy jungler + support.

    Blitz + Shaco? WARDS EN MASSE.

    Janna + Mundo? Not so scary, keep dragon/Tribrush warded, aim for early Shurelias.
    The biggest mistake one can make, is not admitting when you're wrong.

    Grimshac - Neptulon, 4th best guild on Alliance side, Resto Shaman !

  19. #19
    Moderator Isrozzis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The land of too much heat
    Posts
    3,240
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasios View Post
    TL;DR: Everyone should ward. As support, you only buy wards for yourself + your ADC. Anyone who says otherwise is inexperienced.
    I couldn't disagree more. Items are important, but the vision that wards give is invaulable. It's not just protecting your lane and what not, it's warding your jungle entrances, their jungle entrances, their buffs etc. Mid should probably be warding your/their wraiths, but the support can do it too. If you are gimping on your warding to finish an item you are doing it wrong. If you can finish your items and still have good ward coverage, then great.

    I do agree that everyone should ward, but as a support you're not supposed to just ward for bottom lane.

  20. #20
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Near the Red Buff
    Posts
    2,015
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasios View Post
    I disagree.

    If you are spending too much on wards and too little on items for shurelias/Locket/Zeke's, you are gimping yourself and your team because you could've gotten earlier teamfighting-items.

    Knowing how many wards to buy is something you simply gotta learn and it varies every match. Especially on the enemy jungler + support.

    Blitz + Shaco? WARDS EN MASSE.

    Janna + Mundo? Not so scary, keep dragon/Tribrush warded, aim for early Shurelias.
    Wards > Items as support. Wards gets kills, kills gets items. Mapcontrol has to be the most important thing in this game. But it's not only the supports job to ward, everyone has to chip in. Except the ADC, I can live with him not warding. But everyone else has to shape the fuck up and ward a little.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •