Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Making reputation account/ Faction wide. Expanding on account wide achievements.

Hello All

First of all props to Blizzard for making an amazing change. Playing since Vanilla, implemention of achievements was an amazing idea, in till i saw that it locked me into that having a main to care about achievements. Thank you very much for this change , this has brought me back for MOP.

One step further that i'd like to propose would be account wide/faction wide reputation. Due to having different mains for each expansion, farming old rep that i have achieved exalted status but don't get the credit due to on another character still makes achievements of reputation sub standard. Like Ghostcrawlers post, Blizzards idea was to make sure the player could choose character A or character B to play and not have and repercussions doing so, this violates that exact thought process.

My second suggestion would be: To make those reputation achievements count character wide. for example, Character A is exalted with 10 factions, Character B is exalted with 6 different factions. the account has 16 factions exalted and they both contribute to a common goal. this currently does not happen and is painful. This is simply rewarding what the player has done in game. It's not giving the player a free pass its giving the player what they deserve.

This is currently not implemented for achievements such as: The diplomat or X number of exalted factions. This idea will not make reputation account but will come to an even ground for those who change characters but want to farm achievements.

I do realise that this is a working process and would offer my idea to the general public to contribute their opinions to hopefully reach a common goal.
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by valenzy; 2012-09-11 at 04:37 PM.

Nothing good in this idea. It is one of most interesting processes in RPG - to develop char from scratch - you make new character, you slowly build him, raise his reputation, gain achievements etc. One less thing to care when making new char? With such system in place, why to not have accound-wide level 90 then?

If only Ghostcrawler could understand such simple truth - that process of building new character is one of core elements in RPG. If someone doesn't like "building" new characters, perhaps RPG is not his genre. Alas, I am not really sure why GC is still at his current position.

I disagree. You don't need old reputations on a new char. It's a bonus.
    Having account wide rep is a step closer to account wide loot and levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    Nothing good in this idea. It is one of most interesting processes in RPG - to develop char from scratch - you make new character, you slowly build him, raise his reputation, gain achievements etc. One less thing to care when making new char? With such system in place, why to not have accound-wide level 90 then?

If only Ghostcrawler could understand such simple truth - that process of building new character is one of core elements in RPG. If someone doesn't like "building" new characters, perhaps RPG is not his genre. Alas, I am not really sure why GC is still at his current position.
    Pre patch, Achievements hindered players to move to another character. Achievements became stagnate to all players who wanted to try something new. Rep grinding is an experience you correct when you do say this; However doing it multiple times for having a "Alt" raid-able standard is not enjoyable, its one of the deathly grinds that people continue to hate.

Currently i am making up for lost times by farming achievements. For an old feature to be revamped on how it is today is simply stunning and enjoyable. Currently i am redoing all the reputation factions from WOTLK because i played a different class to what i did in BC and Cata. Doing the grinds the first time was fun and enjoyable as it showed a new faction. I agree with you saying this is a fundamentl aspect for a RPG, FOR THE FIRST TIME AROUND. Vanilla is next and is going to be painful... People re-roll to another character to experience the class/spells and faction, not for the rep grinds that they already have experienced you moron.

---------- Post added 2012-09-11 at 01:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    I disagree. You don't need old reputations on a new char. It's a bonus.
    Having account wide rep is a step closer to account wide loot and levels.
    You do if you would like to grind those reputation achievements. Another idea is to make those reputation achievements count character wide. for example, Character A is exalted with 10 factions, Character B is exalted with 6 different factions. the account has 16 factions exalted and they both contribute to a common goal. this currently does not happen and is painful. This is simply rewarding what the player has done in game. It's not giving the player a free pass its giving the player what they deserve.
    Last edited by valenzy; 2012-09-11 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by valenzy View Post
    Pre patch, Achievements hindered players to move to another character. Achievements became stagnate to all players who wanted to try something new. Rep grinding is an experience you correct when you do say this; However doing it multiple times for having a "Alt" raid-able standard is not enjoyable, its one of the deathly grinds that people continue to hate.
    Ok let me translate it into "gear" language :P

Pre patch, gear hindered players to move to another character. Gear became stagnate to all players who wanted to try something new. They have to grind gear, as they can't participate in their quest greens in raids, doing it multiple times for having a "Alt" raid-able standard is not enjoyable.

Also I can't see how do achievements apply to combat capabilities, thus can't see role they can play in high standard "Alt" raids.
    People re-roll to another character to experience the class/spells and faction, not for the rep grinds that they already have experienced you moron.
    I did just read these your 2 last words. You won't make much friends if you will be talking like this. Anyway, you don't need reputations to raid. Blizzard took care of this by removing head and shoulder enchants from MoP faction vendors, so you don't have to do any rep grind to raid. Ciao.

You do if you would like to grind those reputation achievements. Another idea is to make those reputation achievements count character wide. for example, Character A is exalted with 10 factions, Character B is exalted with 6 different factions. the account has 16 factions exalted and they both contribute to a common goal. this currently does not happen and is painful. This is simply rewarding what the player has done in game. It's not giving the player a free pass its giving the player what they deserve.
    The reputation achievements are account wide...
    The reputations themselves are not.
    And seeing that they're not mandatory (not to mention achievements), you don't have to grind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    Ok let me translate it into "gear" language :P

Pre patch, gear hindered players to move to another character. Gear became stagnate to all players who wanted to try something new. They have to grind gear, as they can't participate in their quest greens in raids, doing it multiple times for having a "Alt" raid-able standard is not enjoyable.

Also I can't see how do achievements apply to combat capabilities, thus can't see role they can play in high standard "Alt" raids.

I did just read these your 2 last words. You won't make much friends if you will be talking like this. Anyway, you don't need reputations to raid. Blizzard took care of this by removing head and shoulder enchants from MoP faction vendors, so you don't have to do any rep grind to raid. Ciao.
    But you do need to grind rep for reputation achievements. This is purely from an achievement perspective i was using the Alt as an example. If i was to make that Alt my main i would have to grind reps again for achievements to count or use my old main. In my current predictiment having consolidation of reputation would strive to blizzard's common goal of not disrupting the play to move to different class due to mounts/achievements. Reputation is now doing this to me.

My second suggestion would keep all happy. For the minority of players who play this game to regrind reputation for factions and those who want the reputation achievements without having to do those terrible grinds that they have already done but it doesn't not count to their achievement, am i not correct? Next time, please keep reading...

---------- Post added 2012-09-11 at 02:35 PM ----------

The reputation achievements are account wide...
    The reputations themselves are not.
    And seeing that they're not mandatory (not to mention achievements), you don't have to grind them.
    You do if you want to farm achievements. if you read my rebuttal post again slowly AND I QUOTE " Character A is exalted with 10 factions, Character B is exalted with 6 different factions. the account has 16 factions exalted and they both contribute to a common goal". THIS CURRENTLY DOES NOT HAPPEN. This is proven when you switch toons and check total exalted reputations achievement. The reputation achievements are not account wide, most of them are NOT all.

I've been thinking about this lately.
    I think that it would be an awesome plus to the game. People hate to farm all these reps over and over again for shoulders enchants, etc.
    They should put a button to let us decide if we want it account-wide or not (Roleplay purpose or what ever).
    I don't know if it's hard to create a system like this?

This is getting a bit much TBH, what's next, account-wide levelling? (Since levelling an alt when you already levelled a main is SUCH a chore)

It was addressed in an "Account-wide JP/HP"-question: it will lead to people playing their main to advance their alts, which makes one wonder what's the point of even having alts, if you want something for an alt, play said alt to get it, doesn't seem unreasonable to me really...

You do if you want to farm achievements. if you read my rebuttal post again slowly AND I QUOTE " Character A is exalted with 10 factions, Character B is exalted with 6 different factions. the account has 16 factions exalted and they both contribute to a common goal". THIS CURRENTLY DOES NOT HAPPEN. This is proven when you switch toons and check total exalted reputations achievement. The reputation achievements are not account wide, most of them are NOT all.
    Well boo freakin' hoo.
    So you're whining because albeit a brand new level 1 character having all individual rep achievements (including the highest cumulative achievement you've attained), the next tier of "gain X of Y" requires you to gain them from scratch?

And I don't think you understand the meaning of account wide. If an achievement hasn't been gained by a certain character, yet appears as gained when you check it, then it's account wide. The fact that it doesn't count towards that character's total is irrelevant (and possibly a bug).

There's a difference between Blizzard catering to casuals, and Blizzard just giving everything away so people who don't want to do the work can still feel special.

No, it shouldn't be implemented and it's a bad idea. If you don't want to grind reps on alts, don't play alts. Also to your example argument with factions...

If I have 18 exalted faction on my Horde main, and 2 on my Alliance alt, should I get the achievement for 20 factions(not sure if this is an actual amount but still)? They're on the same server, it should count right?

No. Different character, different faction. If they let us share everything between all toons, why bother playing alts if not to just get to 90 for no work and mindlessly play LFR? Oh, and let us convert profession mats between professions because I already have Alchemy maxed and don't need mats anymore. Yeah, that won't burn people out fast.
    D3 - Aggs 60 Barbarian | Paladin | Warlock | Shaman | Death Knight | Warrior |

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Dunno if you're the best person to ask, but why not make reputation achievements account-wide? I see the reasoning for actual reputations, but it's one of those limiting character-swap achievements for me. Making interchangeable reps such as Warsong offensive/valiance hold only count once would be a good compromise, but atm it's annoying having 38 & 8
    Why not make loot account wide? Or leveling? At some point you're not actually playing the new character.
    From a tweet to Ghostcrawler. He seems to explain perfectly well why this shouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Grissym View Post
    There's a difference between Blizzard catering to casuals, and Blizzard just giving everything away so people who don't want to do the work can still feel special.

No, it shouldn't be implemented and it's a bad idea. If you don't want to grind reps on alts, don't play alts. Also to your example argument with factions...

If I have 18 exalted faction on my Horde main, and 2 on my Alliance alt, should I get the achievement for 20 factions(not sure if this is an actual amount but still)? They're on the same server, it should count right?

No. Different character, different faction. If they let us share everything between all toons, why bother playing alts if not to just get to 90 for no work and mindlessly play LFR? Oh, and let us convert profession mats between professions because I already have Alchemy maxed and don't need mats anymore. Yeah, that won't burn people out fast.
    I agree with you. Faction No as they are completely different opposing factions. Btw swapped Toons before achievements were even implemented. MY BAD FOR NOT LOOKING INTO THE FUTURE. This is completely about achievement grinding as stated above. Read all the posts before posting otherwise you will look like and idiot. This is about Reputations not about account wide leveling because frankly that is going overboard. Stop over playing this we are talking about Reputation nothing else.

Right now reputations should count for total number exalted and or For instance the achievement "the Diplomat". Say character A as Spore-gar and Maghar rep to exalted but character B has Timber-maw exalted. To be fair to the player, he has got all three to exalted. This is in the pureness of Achievement farming. Up above i have stated 2 reasonable suggestions.

Deleted
    Yes for PvP factions, no for everything else.

Right now reputations should count for total number exalted and or For instance the achievement "the Diplomat". Say character A as Spore-gar and Maghar rep to exalted but character B has Timber-maw exalted. To be fair to the player, he has got all three to exalted. This is in the pureness of Achievement farming. Up above i have stated 2 reasonable suggestions.
    Why? You're not giving an actual reasoning.

I see no reason why you should have both on one character.
    This is an RPG, and there's only so much they can do before it loses its meaning (for example, by having two completely different characters be exalted with factions they've never even met).

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Dunno if you're the best person to ask, but why not make reputation achievements account-wide? I see the reasoning for actual reputations, but it's one of those limiting character-swap achievements for me. Making interchangeable reps such as Warsong offensive/valiance hold only count once would be a good compromise, but atm it's annoying having 38 & 8
    Why not make loot account wide? Or leveling? At some point you're not actually playing the new character.
    From a tweet to Ghostcrawler. He seems to explain perfectly well why this shouldn't happen.
    us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/5367158

He also says that Achievements went account wide not to hinder the player, Yet this is a conflicting statement? i think Ghost-crawler might be on meth. Forums are all about opinions etc. You are playing the character you are just doing one less grind that you HAVE done in the past. Why make achievements account wide? the exact answer is the same

Being a completionist who has stuck with the same character for a majority of my time in WoW, but has recently rerolled due to account-wide achievements, I want to agree. I have a lot of exalted reps on that old character and it would be nice if they carried over to my new one. But the problem is, you can only have so much that carries over from one character to another before all of your characters just become the same character or "one".

This is becoming a serious problem in WoW and MMOs in general. The whole point of RPGs, like Ferocity pointed out above, is to develop a character from scratch and progress him through a journey. Ever since late TBC, Blizzard has taken steps to make it much easier to do this on multiple characters. While I can respect players who enjoy playing many different toons at the same time and would like for their hard work to be showed on all of them, I don't think a system like is very healthy for the game in the long run.

Account-wide achievements has been a very reasonable change though and is something that I think should have been in place from the start.

EDIT: Just read that tweet from Ghostcrawler above my post. It's good to see we are on the same page. Achievements are a collection of accomplishments. A sort of "trophy display" for your account. Reputation has a much more individual purpose per character and I would not consider the two to be in the same boat.
    Last edited by OneSent; 2012-09-11 at 04:19 PM.

Why? You're not giving an actual reasoning.

I see no reason why you should have both on one character.
    This is an RPG, and there's only so much they can do before it loses its meaning (for example, by having two completely different characters be exalted with factions they've never even met).
    Yet the same reasoning can be deducted about the change of account achievements. It is all about the perception of achievements and right now it does hinder the achievement farmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkybeard View Post
    I've been thinking about this lately.
    I think that it would be an awesome plus to the game. People hate to farm all these reps over and over again for shoulders enchants, etc.
    They should put a button to let us decide if we want it account-wide or not (Roleplay purpose or what ever).
    I don't know if it's hard to create a system like this?
    Next to the button for instant 90 and the button for 3-4 specs of ilvl 425 gear and the button for instant 2 million gold no doubt I think maybe you are playing the wrong game

Yet the same reasoning can be deducted about the change of account achievements. It is all about the perception of achievements and right now it does hinder the achievement farmers.
    You're right. They should just implement a poll for players, with a single question: "Are you an achievement farmer?". If you answer No, carry on as usual. If you answer Yes, then you've just received all existing achievements.
    I mean, you don't want to hinder them, do you?