Deleted

Hosting woes, advice appreciated!!

Hi all,

I've been running a little private Tekkit server for myself and a handful of other Tekkit-noobs on an old Vista desktop box for a couple of weeks now and we have recently noticed a lot more lag which worsens the longer the server is running. The machine hosting the server isn't exactly a powerhouse granted, but with 4gb RAM and a pre-i series Intel Quad core it should handle a little Tekkit server for 3-5 people right? Wrong... unfortunately the machine is burdened with a 32 bit install of Vista, which limits the amount of RAM I can use considerably and is starting to become more of an issue as time goes by.

Now I have 2 options, stick with the old quad core and drop 64 bit Ubuntu on it or some other random flavour of Linux... or pay through the nose for a managed, professional server.

If I take the "install 64 bit Ubuntu" option, I assume I will be able to assign more of the computer's 4gb of ram to the server than I can with Vista? Currently I'm having to use the fix whereby the ram allocated to Tekkit server is reduced to 1GB max, 512 min due to it's shoddy 32 bit Vista install. I'm guessing Linux will naturally serve the game better anyway thanks to Vista's high overheads... but will the fact that it's 64 Linux bit over 32 bit vista make the difference more noticeable to our players?

The other option is take out the managed server to also overcome the downtime when I need to use the machine. I have been looking around for prices and such but a lot of the servers I have seen are incredibly expensive. Now I know from running my own server that Tekkit Server is very demanding on resources so the higher-than-normal prices of these servers is somewhat justified, however I would like to avoid taking out one of these expensive servers only to find that after 20+ redstone timers are ticking away driving production lines and a couple of weeks worth of development, that the server's performance is as bad as my spare home PC anyway.

Does anyone with experience of running a Tekkit/Bukkit server feel strongly that I should go down the Ubuntu/Linux path... or can anyone share any experience of managed hosts that you have used for whatever games you have played (providing they offer Minecraft servers ofc!).

Thanks in advance for any help.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure most of your problems stem from the fact that you're using Vista. The computer should be more than enough to handle a small tekkit server. My first suggestion would be to remove tekkit and only install the mods you're actually interested in using. Tekkit has some fluff that bogs things down a bit. If you strip out all the crap you'll find performance improvements.

Switching over to a linux distro will work provided you know what you're doing to set it up.

Deleted
    OK I set up Ubuntu 64 last night, and almost instantly managed to get my old world from the Vista server up and running. I was starting to wonder if my connection was also playing some part in the lag, but the difference Linux has made is immense. I'm now able to assign the recommended 3gb/1gb up from 1gb/512mb so I'm sure you can imagine how much smother it is. Vista 32bit was bringing nothing positive to the table at all.

Does anyone know if reducing the maximum number of connections from 20 to 5 will make any difference to overall performance, ie does the server allocate a set amount of RAM per player regardless of them being on the server or not?

Deleted
    Right, the Linux server was going well... then suddenly...

When more than a couple of users connect, my basic 20mb broadband is not really up to the job. Given the choice between taking out a professional server or switching my home internet to BT (they are the only ones offering FTTP connections)... I honestly think I would rather take out the server! My current ISP is one of the best in the UK for customer service and BT are widely regarded as the worst, so swapping to them would be like poking out one of my eyeballs so that my glasses don't cost as much.

I've decided to go down the pro-host route and have landed on a superb looking company called Clanslots. I'm reading nothing but good reviews and everything about the package they are offering for Tekkit appeals to me. Does anyone have any experience with these guys?

Cheers in advance.