Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    americans tend to care way more about things then necessarely needed. it's horrible what happoned, but it's more than ten years ago, yet every year we still get an enormous amount of media attention about it, even here in europe. there are many factors that contribute in how gruesome it was, but there have been way worse things that happoned, like Hiroshima, or the whole of WW II, but personally, the worst tragedy in man kinds history is still WW I, no war was as terrifying, deadly and tragic as WW I, pitty there aren't a lot of memorials of that war.

(TL;DR: Some Americans tend to over dramatize stuff)
    I didn't realize caring was a bad thing. 11 years isn't a very long time, especially when you were 6 blocks away and watched it happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I BELIEVE people still celebrate Armistice Day, do they not? Ok maybe not celebrate it but acknowledge that is was event that had a huge impact on history. 9/11 is the same. It's not about people not being able to move on, so much as a recognition of an event that shaped global politics for a decade.
    Armistice Day (or Rememberance Day) marks the end of a GLOBAL MILATARY CONFLICT that lasted for more than 4 years, not something that took place over 1 morning in one country.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The same happened during the Tsunami in 2004 but you dont see a lot of those threads around. Personally i find it very creepy to see the holiday footage where suddenly a wave appears in the background and washes away small children.
    I actually do still think about that quite often. That had a pretty big impact on me because before then, I had never really thought of tsunamis as being a huge threat before because I'd just never heard of one happening before.

Deleted
    It was a powerful country, they were powerful symbols of Western Capitalism and trade, they even said that the towers could withstand a terrorist attack.
    Plus, it was played live across the world like some big drama, and it was the first major terrorist attack on US soil to the best of my recollection. Also, first three posts.

It was a completely tragic event. But, I do have to feel kinda bad for the families of the victims. It really shouldn't be masqueraded on the media every year like it has. Just imagine an annual televised reminder of the death of your loved ones. Seems like it would hinder the coping and moving on process.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matiasve View Post
    This is not meant as a nation bash. As an European I simply do not understand why 9/11 gets so much attention and would like to know why.

In the history of mankind there have been billions of deaths, millions of murders and thousands of mass murders.
    Yet, for some reason, 9/11 always gets a tremendous amount of attention. Granted, about 3000 people died ... not an enormous amount of people though ... it was a horrible thing. But WHY is it still so ... 'newsworthy' 11 years later.
    It was the only time in modern history that Americans felt threatened in any way. We have large police forces, military (both reserves and active) and a safety expectation that is the strongest the world has ever known. But on that day we were all afraid. We didn't know what it meant. We all knew terrorism had risen in recent years but now it was right smack in our house. If the planes had hit a military base, or blew up in the sky etc I don't think you'd have seen the same reaction. However to hit such large and important buildings right in the heart of a huge population center was incredibly shocking. Then to see the Pentagon hit as well, the nerve center of the strongest military the world has ever known, seemingly so defensless gave a sense of vulnerablility. Most Americans are pridefull in our accomplishments of making the world a better, safer place. We felt a sense of respect and security, even from fringe groups. It was the fact that a small group of relatively low level terrorists with very little funding (compared to any formal militia) was able to wreak so much destruction and create such a panic and such a defenseless feeling on such a powerful nation.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is like going up to a traumatized child that witnessed a murder of a loved one 11 years ago, and saying...whats wrong with you, people are murdered every day stop being such a pussy.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ligier View Post
    Armistice Day (or Rememberance Day) marks the end of a GLOBAL MILATARY CONFLICT that lasted for more than 4 years, not something that took place over 1 morning in one country.
    Because the war in Afghanistan isn't going on 11 years later right?

1) Because the Continental United States was not attacked by a foreign enemy since 1814. It also happened in New York City, the beating heart of both America and the world economy, and at the Pentagon, the symbol of our global power.

2) Because just under 3000 Americans were killed en masse . What a lot of people don't remember was that until the end of 2001 / early 2002, with all the missing and the rubble, the count was up in the 5000 and 6000 range.

3) The United States is the world superpower, and there was a very real fear that in anger, the US would nuke Afghanistan and anyone else involved. This is the cause of a large outpouring of the good will around the world at the time... a genuine fear of what an enraged superpower might do to achieve justice. When it became clear, that no, the US wasn't going to level large swaths of South Asia and settle long-standing scores, the good will quickly went away.

Using the word "tragedy" in reference to 9/11 is also a horrible mistake. "Tragedy" has a resigned passitivity to it, as if it is nature at work. It's a tragedy when someone gets cancer. It's a tragedy when someone's house burns down. It's a tragedy when a flood washes away a town. 9/11 was an outrage. It was an atrocity.

Deleted
    Because a few planes flew strait into World trade center. That's why it stands out.

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonwolfe View Post
    Most Americans are pridefull in our accomplishments of making the world a better, safer place.
    Are you talking about the American assistance in WWII? Because after that...I can't remember too many instances of that happening.

The United States is the world superpower, and there was a very real fear that in anger, the US would nuke Afghanistan and anyone else involved. This is the cause of a large outpouring of the good will around the world at the time... a genuine fear of what an enraged superpower might do to achieve justice.
    Weird, I don't remember anyone ever seriously concerned about US nuking Afghanistan. Noone serious, anyway. The outpouring of good will was because..well, people could sympathize with the America of then. Not so much anymore, perhaps, and if the same event were to happen again, the outpouring of good will would be a lot less sincere, I reckon.
    Last edited by Ashnazg; 2012-09-11 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ligier View Post
    True but you have to look at effects. Where is the line? Oh it's no big deal only 3000 people died...vs oh it's no big deal only an entire generation of youth died. Ok ww1 ended a century ago. surely that's long enough. Is the time to move on proportional to how many people died?

The important thing here is, as has been pointed out by several with level heads already, is that regardless of how you feel about it 9/11 had a huge impact on the way the world functions. it was a major historical event...just like WW1. this isn't a pissing contest. to see which event sucked harder.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    This is like going up to a traumatized child that witnessed a murder of a loved one 11 years ago, and saying...whats wrong with you, people are murdered every day stop being such a pussy.
    It's not quite the same. Most Americans only relate to the attacks because it was in their country. Not all Americans were actually closely related to ppl who died, which is what you're suggesting with the traumatised child.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I didn't realize caring was a bad thing. 11 years isn't a very long time, especially when you were 6 blocks away and watched it happen.
    i did not imply that caring in anny way bad, i even wanted to point out that people should care more about other tragedies, like WW I.
    What i was saying that some people jsut tend to over react about things. it's not that i don't care, but i cared for it a little less than the tsunami.
    I fond your interpretation of my post odd, to say the least.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonwolfe View Post
    It was the only time in modern history that Americans felt threatened in any way. We have large police forces, military (both reserves and active) and a safety expectation that is the strongest the world has ever known. But on that day we were all afraid. We didn't know what it meant. We all knew terrorism had risen in recent years but now it was right smack in our house. If the planes had hit a military base, or blew up in the sky etc I don't think you'd have seen the same reaction. However to hit such large and important buildings right in the heart of a huge population center was incredibly shocking. Then to see the Pentagon hit as well, the nerve center of the strongest military the world has ever known, seemingly so defensless gave a sense of vulnerablility. Most Americans are pridefull in our accomplishments of making the world a better, safer place. We felt a sense of respect and security, even from fringe groups. It was the fact that a small group of relatively low level terrorists with very little funding (compared to any formal militia) was able to wreak so much destruction and create such a panic and such a defenseless feeling on such a powerful nation.
    Uh.. Have you seen the video? It's a missile..

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, i live in NJ which is right next door to NYC, i was actually able to drive up a mountain and get a clear view of the happenings. and i really don't care much anymore.

This day serves as a reminder that it is our soldiers and civilians that are in harms way, not the government who makes the decisions to go to war in the first place. If anything this day should be a day of protest against our war mongering ways. People claim that the war was fought for freedom, but how is fighting a country that hadn't threatened our soil solidifying or protecting our freedom?

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably because we never been attacked by terroists before and it was a total shock they got past us and kind of opened a window or our eyes that we need to take care of ourselves and not be complacent. While it was terrible what happened it had a good side. We started getting serious about how to protect our people.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The same happened during the Tsunami in 2004 but you dont see a lot of those threads around.
    True, and that probably has a lot to do with natural disasters being, well, natural and not a result of man's inhumanity toward man. Not that 250,000 lives lost isn't tragic, of course it is, but the utter violence and hatred needed to perpetrate September 11th still amazes me.

That's why I'm so affected by it 11 years later. I'm also affected by various other events to the same degree, and I'm sure a lot of folks here who are defending their emotions over September 11th this far down the line are too.
    This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    1) Because the Continental United States was not attacked by a foreign enemy since 1814. It also happened in New York City, the beating heart of both America and the world economy, and at the Pentagon, the symbol of our global power.

2) Because just under 3000 Americans were killed en masse . What a lot of people don't remember was that until the end of 2001 / early 2002, with all the missing and the rubble, the count was up in the 5000 and 6000 range.

3) The United States is the world superpower, and there was a very real fear that in anger, the US would nuke Afghanistan and anyone else involved. This is the cause of a large outpouring of the good will around the world at the time... a genuine fear of what an enraged superpower might do to achieve justice. When it became clear, that no, the US wasn't going to level large swaths of South Asia and settle long-standing scores, the good will quickly went away.

Using the word "tragedy" in reference to 9/11 is also a horrible mistake. "Tragedy" has a resigned passitivity to it, as if it is nature at work. It's a tragedy when someone gets cancer. It's a tragedy when someone's house burns down. It's a tragedy when a flood washes away a town. 9/11 was an outrage. It was an atrocity.
    And people are still dying to this day from illness brought about from the cleanup.

I'm European, and this among other horrible acts done by "men" onto men = I care. I find it pathetic how people such as posters in this thread actually ain't got NOTHING better to do on this day than to say "Mourn quietly, I don't caaare and I don't want to heaaar"...People say it's getting so much attention because it happened to the US? One can also say it gets so much blatant hate and childish reactions because it happened to the US just as easily.

Don't care about the victims because you're more concerned about some other event? Then YOU shut up instead of asking stupid questions about "Why do people care when something horrible happens?"...Gotta wonder if you people would think the same if it had happened to your family, "Oh but 1000 people starve to death each day, I'mma not mourn my sister!"...

Same thing each damned year, I can understand the need to mourn and pay respect to something like this for years after it happened, what I do NOT understand is all the douches being pissed about it. They go straight into the bin with people dragging christmas down because they are miserable and love the company.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2012-09-11 at 05:10 PM.