Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Exclamation Phone stolen, bill of £11,600.

So basically, my friend just told me that he just received a bill from a phone that he lost after a night out we had just over a month ago (but we actually concluded that a girl he took home that night stole it when she fled the morning after, as he had it coming home)

This bill is £11,600.

He has rang up whatever network it was and they have basically said; and because he never reported it stolen, that he 'has to pay it.' Naturally, I'd think these sort of companies would demand money wherever they can in a situation like this, but I'm sure if you fight it instead of rolling over the damage can be controlled. He also said when he asked 'is there anything that can be done?', that they couldn't speak to him about it entirely since his name/bank account isn't on the bill. and stated once more that 'he has to pay it'.

Can anyone help on this one? £11,600 is a lot of dolla.

Remember, this is in the UK.

Cheers!

Deleted
    how on earth can you rack up £11000 in one night?!

10+ Year Old Account
    I see no logical way why he should not pay it. Not reporting it as stolen is his fault after all. But I don't know the laws in the UK. Maybe there is a loophole for him.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    It was over the course of a month if you noticed.

10+ Year Old Account
    they couldn't speak to him about it entirely since his name/bank account isn't on the bill.
    So whose is?
    Also, why didn't he report it stolen?

Quite suspicious circumstances. I'm betting there's 'more to it'.

Of course, the ultimate question is why he never reported it stolen, especially if he didn't know the person who took it from him that night.

Sounds like negligence on your friend's fault. He should be liable for the full amount of the bill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pum View Post

He has rang up whatever network it was and they have basically said; and because he never reported it stolen, that he 'has to pay it.'
    This situation sucks, but your friend is equally as stupid for not reporting it stolen. Never allow someone else to have control over your life. Letting a girl have his phone after knowing that she stole it is pretty dumb. I'm betting that there is more to this story.

Not much he can do. Why didnt he report it as stolen?! Its not a prepaid mobile phone for faks sake

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    I know under my plan, if I order a new phone or buy accessories for my phone, it just adds to cost to my monthly bill instead of doing a separate charge. It probably saves them cents in transaction costs, but that's how they do it. Maybe they went on a buying spree using the built in phone browsing and just charged the account.

Im sorry, but

and because he never reported it stolen
    That seals the deal. Pay up.

Why on EARTH wouldnt you call the provider and get it locked right away when you found out it was missing ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Pum View Post
    He also said when he asked 'is there anything that can be done?', that they couldn't speak to him about it entirely since his name/bank account isn't on the bill. and stated once more that 'he has to pay it'.
    If his name and bank account isn't on the bill....why would he have to pay it? I don't believe the details of this story. Either the OP is leaving out important parts or his friend left out important parts. If they're saying his name isn't on the bill, then wouldn't the person whose name does appear on the bill be the responsible party?
    Last edited by Lucavian; 2012-09-11 at 06:25 PM.

Deleted
    I think asking a lawyer is best, with that sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Even still, that's an awful lot of cash for a month of a phone bill. Whoever stole it must have had a TON of time on their hands. A metric fuckton, infact. Because it still doesn't make any sense. Not sure I believe this story xD
    If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

If your phone is stolen, it's pretty obvious that you should report it ASAP, just like a credit card.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavian View Post
    If his name and bank account isn't on the bill....why would he have to pay it? Tell them to kiss off and contact the person who's name and account info IS on the bill.
    Im pretty sure he doesn´t know that name, and Im also pretty sure the phone company isn´t going to give him that information

I have no sympathy for him and his negligence, he should have just reported it stolen...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post

i thought he meant this happened a month ago, but they're still disputing it with the phone company. seems wierd that your phone would be missing for a month and you wouldnt report it stolen. at least get it deactivated or what ever. basically i just assumed that it he lost it, within a month he would have reported it stolen/lost.

I didn't mean the OP's friend should call the person, I meant he should tell the company that THEY should call the right person.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavian View Post
    If his name and bank account isn't on the bill....why would he have to pay it? I don't believe the details of this story. Either the OP is leaving out important parts or his friend left out important parts. If they're saying his name isn't on the bill, then wouldn't the person whose name does appear on the bill be the responsible party?
    Unless it was his parents who got him the phone.

Deleted
    Usually in these circumstances, an agreement can be come to to pay a settlement amount. They know it'll be very hard to get anywhere near that amount out of you, so if you offer a couple hundred to settle it, it avoids being chased by debt collection agencies for years to come. However, it's quite lcear the phone usage is not in line with normal usage, and wasn't done by you; They can't realistically get the money from you, and I think it you keep arguing it, talknig to a different person, escalating it, etc. they may be able to void it. It could cause issues with your credit rating if you can't get them to agree to a settlement or to void it before they sell the debt onto a collection agency, though.