Poll: Are you enjoying Guild Wars 2?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by internetheroxD View Post
    Ehm... No..
    Back in 2010 Blizzard used this to run their servers:
    20,000 computers
    75,000 CPU Cores
    1,3 Petaflops of discspace
    At a average running cost of 136,986$ per day.

Source: http://www.onlineschools.org/visual-...elievable-wow/
    Like everyone else is pointing out, flops are not measures of disk space. FLOP = floating point operations per second, i.e. a measure of CPU performance.

As for the daily cost of running a server, just do the math and see how much it costs a year.

$137k * 365 = $50 mil

Now consider that Wrath sold 2.8 mil copies just in the first 24 hours, not to mention how much it may have sold afterwards. That's at least:

2.8 mil * $40 = $112 mil

And since you mentioned 2010, Cataclysm launched at the tail end of 2010 to the tune of 4.7 million in the first month.

4.7 mil * $40 = $188 mil

So yeah, the server costs could be covered just by the box sales alone. Which makes you wonder, if you think your sub fee is covering the cost of accessing and keeping the server up, why are you being charged for the box price as well?

Imagine, if people weren't paying a sub fee for WoW, they might have to actually release content/expansions more frequently to cover the cost...

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehm... No..
    Back in 2010 Blizzard used this to run their servers:
    20,000 computers
    75,000 CPU Cores
    1,3 Petaflops of discspace
    At a average running cost of 136,986$ per day.

Source: http://www.onlineschools.org/visual-...elievable-wow/
    look at your own source. Petabytes <> Petaflops....

10+ Year Old Account
    No, petaflops are discspace.
    Megabyte - Gigabyte - Terabyte - Petabyte and so on and so forth.
    No. FLOP = FLoating point OPeration, which is a mathematical operation. Thus the unit FLOP/s is used to characterize processor power.

I chose 'Eh, it's alright'.

I would say that it was well worth the purchase. I play maybe 1-2hrs a week, nothing excessive, but it's a good game. A huge factor for how much I like an MMO is the accessibility for someone with a time handicap. I played EverQuest in jr high and into high school. I played sometimes 10hrs a day. When I switched to WoW, it was amazing at the time, a clear upgrade from EQ. I spent just as much time on it.

As I got into college and stuff I had less and less time to put into it, so now those huge grinds in WoW are making it very hard for me to enjoy PVP and keep up with the gear levels. I do however like LFR, it's perfect for me. In GW2, I can just PVP. I don't have to care about being a certain level or having the best gear to stay alive for more than 2 seconds. That's what I like the most about this game. It also seems like I can just go out and explore and enjoy some events and quests and progress my character.

I like it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by puppypizza View Post
    Like everyone else is pointing out, flops are not measures of disk space. FLOP = floating point operations per second, i.e. a measure of CPU performance.

As for the daily cost of running a server, just do the math and see how much it costs a year.

$137k * 365 = $50 mil

Now consider that Wrath sold 2.8 mil copies just in the first 24 hours, not to mention how much it may have sold afterwards. That's at least:

2.8 mil * $40 = $112 mil

And since you mentioned 2010, Cataclysm launched at the tail end of 2010 to the tune of 4.7 million in the first month.

4.7 mil * $40 = $188 mil

So yeah, the server costs could be covered just by the box sales alone. Which makes you wonder, if you think your sub fee is covering the cost of accessing and keeping the server up, why are you being charged for the box price as well?

Imagine, if people weren't paying a sub fee for WoW, they might have to actually release content/expansions more frequently to cover the cost...
    Well, im sure they have more costs to cover than that.
    It's not cheap to run a company, especially concidering their size, not saying they aint got sh*tloads of money though.

And the Petabyte - Petaflops thingy, does it really matter? I made a misstake, get over it peeps :<

10+ Year Old Account
    78% like or really likes the game. That's quiet a high score if you account the possibilty of a few forum trolls that downvoted on purpose.
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

It's puzzles like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mVe5...watch_response which makes the game amazing. I'm surprised how someone figured it out from the start.

I figured it out properly and felt really cool after doing it :P

I'm still loving it. I don't nolife the hell out of it, but I think that's why I'm loving it so much. It's a game I can pick up, play for a while, and then log off. I don't have to have huge time commitments like raiding.

From what I've read, people either love it or hate it. But I think the majority can agree that this game is only going to be enjoyable short term. I can't see many people still playing this game a year later. There's just not really a lot to do, especially when you get to the max level. Most people don't care about crafting stuff and farming mats and the puzzles can only eat up so much time. And the PvP does seem fun, but again only short term IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by internetheroxD View Post
    Well, im sure they have more costs to cover than that.
    It's not cheap to run a company, especially concidering their size, not saying they aint got sh*tloads of money though.
    I looked at one of the Activision 2010 quarters. Subscription revenue from WOW was $306 million, costs for the same were $54 million. Product costs and sales were different line items and the sales were $986 million with costs of $337 million. I would imagine that box sales were included in that figure but that also included games other than WOW. The point is that all of the costs to run WOW in 2010 (with 12 million odd subscribers) were $54 million per quarter or $216 million per year. That includes customer service, server hosting, etc. Everything. It's not chump change for sure but Blizzard have been ripping it by making $1 billion a year off subscribers and I don't think people will just keep accepting that. GW2 shows that there are alternatives and the no sub model will definitely shake up the industry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BongimusPrime View Post
    I think with the UI move, what I really want to do is re-assign my keybinds for my skills. Maybe theres a way to do it that I just havent discovered, but i'd like to have all my fast casts grouped, my AOE's grouped, things like that.

I've gotten a little better about weapon swapping in combat, and that's helped me get the mix-n-match i was talking about, and adds an element to the combat that I actually am quite enjoying now. I have to actually participate, and be active, rather than in WoW for example just dozing off and making sure my fingers on one button.

I've been trying to get more social in the game, but I'm kinda picky who i guild with... i dont think im better or morally superior to anyone, but i prefer guilds with a mature playerbase, and not a bunch of kids running around being fuckwads. i see way too much of that, and it detracts from my gameplay.

Sure, knowing when NOT to cast your spells is just as important as knowing when you SHOULD, and maybe WoW's "out of range, so you cant cast that" has become a bit of a crutch. I'm just so used to it being that way that it feels strange now, but I'm sure I'll adapt.
    First off omfg a legitmate discussion here im so happy...You can reassign keys by going into the options fourth tab down on the left...you got like graphics sound game etc then there should be a bindings tab there too...search through rebind as you see fit =)

Yea wep swap is a brilliant feature once you really get used to it being able to smoothly transition between sets using this is the key...some of the explorable modes at higher levels are pretty challenging and fun.

The way I did it ( i too am looking for a specific type of guild ) is joined heaps and heaps I only ahve to represent and deal with one at a time...or if i want...none at a time. then i found one that i liked the best...left all the others and wala =)

Yea thats what took me some time is knowing the rough distances...what i would have loved to see is a physical green line to see distance i dont know how they could implement it but some sort of visual que to let us know certain abilities are in fact in range etc.

---------- Post added 2012-09-14 at 10:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    From what I've read, people either love it or hate it. But I think the majority can agree that this game is only going to be enjoyable short term. I can't see many people still playing this game a year later. There's just not really a lot to do, especially when you get to the max level. Most people don't care about crafting stuff and farming mats and the puzzles can only eat up so much time. And the PvP does seem fun, but again only short term IMO.
    The bright side is you can come back anytime to try whats new...dont forget anet specifically stated they cut most of Orr for release to ensure a thorough and successful launch...that will be implemented within a month or so. Similarly once things get settled etc pvp tournaments will start running like crazy...anet's tournies gaming communities private tournies etc...The thing holding that back though is spectator mode...and a good one. I know arena net can pull it off its a matter of whether they do. I think spectator mode and releasing Orr should be their top priorities once they are happy with launch etc...some balancing is already starting to happen with the herpseeker as i have seen it refered to getting some changes already which is good.

Deleted
    Was really enjoying it for the first couple days... Now? I just feel so bored of the game sometimes I drift off, end up shutting the game down to go do a random Portal 2 map or, like yesterday, work a bit on WoW archeology (which is sad)... I think most of my frustration and boredom comes from the horrible story-telling and dialogue in the personal story.. I was really loving it for the first levels but after a while it just gets rushed, bugged and really cheap. Maybe it's me, but the personal story got so painful I can barely feel any desire to level up. Meh, maybe I'll just sit back for a couple months and hope it gets fixed and maybe given some love.

So far I'm really liking the game. I really like the questing in this game which is really no surprise to me since I'm almost the exact opposite of most people in the fact that I love to level more than anything else in MMOs, but the way GW2 does it with the hearts and having the potential for a dynamic event to pop up at the same time really goes beyond my experience with leveling in other MMOs in the most enjoyable way possible, so I can safely say that GW2 questing is currently my favorite questing experience.

I will say though that the personal story quests are enjoyable, but a bit disappointing to me at the same time. It's disappointing because I wish certain things were a little more fleshed out and that things didn't transition so fast, also as you go on it just feels like certain story elements are just brushed under the rug and forgotten. For instance my human engineer is a commoner whose parents went missing, but I'm now at the part in my story where I'm facing the more direct threat of Zhaitan and his forces, and the people earlier in my story are no where to be found like no other mention has been made about the bartender and his daughter who are part of the commoner storyline but it seems like they've been completely forgotten. Also I've found out the fate of my parents but the story transitioned into another segment and now it's like that doesn't matter at all anymore either.

The pvp is really enjoyable and I also really like the exploring aspect of the game, have gotten 100% map completion in so many areas. So all in all other than some pacing issues with the personal story I'm really liking the game.