Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    you say WvW sucks but you still prefer GW2 pvp? If GW2 had battlegrounds or at least open pvp I might still play it, but the way it is now, SWTOR offers the better pvp in my opinion.

  2. #22
    The Lightbringer jvbastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Flanders
    Posts
    3,567
    Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    you say WvW sucks but you still prefer GW2 pvp? If GW2 had battlegrounds or at least open pvp I might still play it, but the way it is now, SWTOR offers the better pvp in my opinion.
    It's a matter of opinion, really.

    I consider myself a pvp'er, but could never take SWTOR pvp seriously, because of multiple reasons (gear/lack of e-sport support, etc.).
    GW2 offers better options, although it still lacks compared to GW1, IMO.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Xolotl View Post
    If you want to get back into the game I think now is the time. The upcoming F2P changes do not bode well at all....



    Guild Wars 2 PvP is not for everyone, that's true. It's purely skill based so most players coming from typical mmos will hit a wall when they realize they can't outgear their opponents have to require on skill on able teammates alone. The controls are another thing surely to alienate a lot of players who are coming from games where you should not but still could do pretty well by being a "clicker". GW2 is impossible for clickers, the game requires exceptional movement skills and finger dexterity, lots of targeted abilites without auto aim, highly effective and punishing dodge mechanic, even strafing comes with built-in movement penalty etc.

    But that's why there are so many games out there. It's just games, all about the fun wherever you find it :-)
    And no offense, Swtor has its good sides, like the storyline but....I mean going back to Swtor for the PvP, really? That's just sad...

    Admittedly WvW sucks but why wouldn't it. WvW sucks, period. It sucked back in DAoC (oh no blasphemous!) and in every other game ever created. The only truly great large scale pvp combat can be found in Eve and even then it comes witgh a myriad of issues still.
    My problems with GW2 stem from the poor combat system not the actual difficulty with it. I'm certainly not a clicker and detest the thought that people still do click. My issue is that most classes have no resource system, only a few dmg abilities and a few situational abilities.

    I'm in the biggest PvP guild on my server and when we play rated against each other, I still top dps and I'm not the most geared so it's definitely not a skill issue, or a lack of outgearing people. I just don't like GW2 combat. It's not revolutionary, it's simplistic and clunky.

  4. #24
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    14,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalek View Post
    My problems with GW2 stem from the poor combat system not the actual difficulty with it. I'm certainly not a clicker and detest the thought that people still do click. My issue is that most classes have no resource system, only a few dmg abilities and a few situational abilities.

    I'm in the biggest PvP guild on my server and when we play rated against each other, I still top dps and I'm not the most geared so it's definitely not a skill issue, or a lack of outgearing people. I just don't like GW2 combat. It's not revolutionary, it's simplistic and clunky.
    Big LOLs heading your way.

    Just saying "I still top dps"...uh what? Have you ever played GW2? The combat is not clunky, or awkward, or simplistic. It is a more dynamic ombat system than any MMO we have currently. Just because you aren't good at a game doesn't mean you have to bash it. The problem with WvW isn't the combat, it's that if you aren't in a zerg group, you are just getting killed every time you step 5 feet away from the only spawn you have available.

    I hate to tell people this, but the PvP in SWTOR is no different than WoW. Sure there are different mechanics in the maps, huttball and whatnot, but it still feels the same. Combat in SWTOR is as close to that style as any game I've ever played. It doesn't prevent me from loving it though. I'll defend this game, because I think it's fun, but I'm not going to let you spout completely untrue statements about another game in the process.

    And ps, if you are clicking abilities in any game you are doing wrong. GW2 is so dynamic that it basically requires hotkeys/mouse buttons to play at top efficiency...but so does every game.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Big LOLs heading your way.

    Just saying "I still top dps"...uh what? Have you ever played GW2? The combat is not clunky, or awkward, or simplistic. It is a more dynamic ombat system than any MMO we have currently. Just because you aren't good at a game doesn't mean you have to bash it. The problem with WvW isn't the combat, it's that if you aren't in a zerg group, you are just getting killed every time you step 5 feet away from the only spawn you have available.

    I hate to tell people this, but the PvP in SWTOR is no different than WoW. Sure there are different mechanics in the maps, huttball and whatnot, but it still feels the same. Combat in SWTOR is as close to that style as any game I've ever played. It doesn't prevent me from loving it though. I'll defend this game, because I think it's fun, but I'm not going to let you spout completely untrue statements about another game in the process.

    And ps, if you are clicking abilities in any game you are doing wrong. GW2 is so dynamic that it basically requires hotkeys/mouse buttons to play at top efficiency...but so does every game.
    Sorry but u smells like a gw2 fanboy..
    Dont make ur opinion the "general" opinion. I dont like the gameplay in gw2, but im not saying that gw2 is bad...
    And, for me, the pvp in Sw:tor its more fun than gw2. Love huttball.

  6. #26
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    14,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Sorry but u smells like a gw2 fanboy..
    Dont make ur opinion the "general" opinion. I dont like the gameplay in gw2, but im not saying that gw2 is bad...
    And, for me, the pvp in Sw:tor its more fun than gw2. Love huttball.
    If you look at my post history, I think 85% of them are defending and raving about this game, while still giving honest criticisms from the company, lack of features, etc. In fact, you clearly didn't read any of my post so you must be trying to learn the art of under-bridge dwelling.

    Read the post, then come back with a proper 'argument', if that's what you are trying to make. The description of the game belied little actual knowledge, since it was so inaccurate. It's ok to like one form over the other, I also prefer SWTOR PvP. That doesn't mean I can't be honest in assessment.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    If you look at my post history, I think 85% of them are defending and raving about this game, while still giving honest criticisms from the company, lack of features, etc. In fact, you clearly didn't read any of my post so you must be trying to learn the art of under-bridge dwelling.
    I really feel like I am in the same boat.

    I love this game. I love its pvp and meh its pve.

    However, this game hasn't gone very far since its launch.

    We are missing features and fluff. The titles for each planet are still the same conquer / liberator of X. We have no duel spec. We have no power auras. We haven't had the "hundreds of new moddable armor models" by which they meant BRACERS/BELTS. While I am thankful for them, it was extremely misleading. Since launch we've only had 1 and a half raids added. There is only 1 size for pvp, 8v8. There's some debate about click to heal and recount. I am for an in game recount. Wheres paid transfers? The moddable system is really the only thing I like about swtors gear. Why aren't they expanding it? They have countless weapon models in armstech. If they just changed all the weapons to moddables with green mods in them we would be set. Like, forever.

    And of course. No hk-51 post is complete without complaining about space combat.

    Bioware doesn't care about space people.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Silver Hunter -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  8. #28
    Warchief WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Xolotl View Post
    But that's why there are so many games out there. It's just games, all about the fun wherever you find it :-)
    And no offense, Swtor has its good sides, like the storyline but....I mean going back to Swtor for the PvP, really? That's just sad...
    I believe SWTOR has better PvP than GW2 without a doubt. Its not the gear, because the 1-49 bracket is way more fun than the 50 bracket. I'm all for gear normalization and being rewarded with cosmetic upgrades such as GW2. What it boils down to are the maps and the gameplay.

    The maps in SWTOR are all excellent with varying paths to victory. Huttball is one of my favorite types of maps and plays different than any other PvP map. Alderaan plays very different from Novare even though they are basically the same 2 node capture objectives. They just do it in different ways. GW2 has beautifully designed maps, but the objective is the same every time...cap and hold. The maps vary in the secondary features such as trebouches, underwater combat, neutral bosses, and keep lords. But overall the objectives are not as exciting to me personally. Also, SWTOR rewards you for defending nodes while GW2 penalizes you (you earn more glory for capping nodes, but none for defending). This feeds into the mindset of my least favorite aspect of GW2 PvP...the roaming zerg.

    The other aspect that chaps my hide about GW2 compared to SWTOR is the gameplay. SWTOR suffers from ability bloat, having way too many abilities that are useful in specific circumstances. GW2 suffers from the opposite. It seems most succeessful builds are based around super buffing 1 ability that is spammed, then dodging around until that ability is back up. With SWTOR I feel like most all classes are using 4-5 abilities the majority of the time, and then 10+ more abilities situationally. I just have a hard time feeling like I am playing "more skillyfully" in GW2 vs. SWTOR.

    For the record I've PvP'd with nearly every class in SWTOR. I've only PvPed in GW2 with Warrior (Rifle Build and GS Build), Mesmer (Condition Build), and Thief (Pistol Whip Build and Bleed/Blossom Build). I've had the most success with my Mesmer, but for all of those classes I end up doing the same thing nearly every fight. I haven't felt that it required any more skill than any other MMO I've played. The only real difference is the ability to dodge certain attacks and to get a bit of self healing. But saying that, even in 1v2 situations I find GW2 is more punishing thanks to the downed state and ability for every class to interrupt in some way.

    So yeah, I can definitely see where other people would come back to SWTOR for the PvP.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    So yeah, I can definitely see where other people would come back to SWTOR for the PvP.
    Its the only reason I can think of to stay.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Silver Hunter -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  10. #30
    This thread isn't a comparative study between swtor and gw2 so lets stop that line please.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    I am on a destination server, on peak times there are about as many people on the fleet as before the server merges. low level planets are almost empty. I was on hoth yesterday, leveling my jedi on peak time, and there were never more than 10 people there. the game is good, imo, but people dont seem to want to play it.
    I couldn't disagree more. I am on Ebon Hawk...at peak times they always have to split the fleet into two to accommodate overcrowding.
    Planets always have a healthy population, and I have no problems finding others for heroic missions

    To the OP...I am having a blast, and the future content looks really epic...come on back!

  12. #32
    Warchief WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Its the only reason I can think of to stay.
    That and completing the storylines. Once I finish up my last 2 characters I'm not sure if I will continue to keep my sub active. The PvP is good, and I like it, and on my server the queue pops quick whenever I want a game. Plus the new PvP map looks really interesting. But I'm not sure if its $15/month fun, especially since the 10-49 bracket does eventually end.


    For now though, my server is still hopping. I think the game is still the 2nd most successful sub-based MMORPG on the market at the moment. I can see Rift overtaking that spot though.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    That and completing the storylines. Once I finish up my last 2 characters I'm not sure if I will continue to keep my sub active. The PvP is good, and I like it, and on my server the queue pops quick whenever I want a game. Plus the new PvP map looks really interesting. But I'm not sure if its $15/month fun, especially since the 10-49 bracket does eventually end.
    I got down to bounty hunter and smuggler. I should have done those first because I really... REALLY haven't been enjoying them.

    At this point I am making a second IA and JC. Idk... I'm just going to make one of my guildies carry me through the last 15 levels on my smuggler.

    The end of chapter 1 was just like... "okay." and the lead into chapter 2 was like "why do I care? what is my motivation. I don't even"

    Ugh. I want that buff.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Silver Hunter -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  14. #34
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    14,260
    I just want to finish out all the class stories. I should have never leveled a billion alts in wow with no story, because it makes getting through the 'chores' in SWTOR that much harder. I am much more interested in leveling alts in this game, but find the bloat of additional activities to be tedious. I would really love leveling through story quests, minor pvp, and minor space. Some purchaseable/legacy bound buff that makes it takes 5 space missions/4 wzs win or lose to get a level and you have to do your story quests in order to get past certain levels.

    One can dream.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    This thread isn't a comparative study between swtor and gw2 so lets stop that line please.
    Are you kidding me? God damn it. *throw away handfuls of documents*
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  16. #36
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    14,260
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Are you kidding me? God damn it. *throw away handfuls of documents*
    That's ok. I've already started drawing up my Thesis on 'How SWTOR is more like Chocolate Pie than Chocolate Cake'. I always have backup research, just in case I need to change directions mid thread.

    SWTOR is naturally a highly layered game, but those layers don't get lost in themselves. You can savor each distinct texture in one bite, much like a chocolate pie. Instead of having mushed together cake and icing, just moist on moist on moist, you get a variety of experiences.

    The stiff sweet meringue delves into the velvety, smooth pudding, into the nice crunch of the crust.

    This is all a metaphor for why SWTOR is awesome, so this post is entirely relevant to the state of the game, thank you.

  17. #37
    Warchief WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    I got down to bounty hunter and smuggler. I should have done those first because I really... REALLY haven't been enjoying them.
    Bounty Hunter was the only story thus far I didn't care about at all. I'm on Trooper now (rerolled my Commando to Vanguard), and I'm liking the story so far. I'm not too deep into it, just stepped foot onto Nar Shaddaa. After that is Smuggler...and I am dreading Smuggler. I played one to 20 before and the story sucked. However, like the Bounty Hunter, I suspect the only thing that will get me through it is the potentially for excellent dialogue.

    I've also considered buying the Flashpoint boosts and just queueing up for those as a healer (Smuggler) since I hear you can knock out levels very efficiently there. Then I can just do the Class storyline on the planets. The only downside is missing out on Companion rep, but credits and the fact I will be using Dark Sided Diplomacy for gifts will fix that.

  18. #38
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,991
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    It's a matter of opinion, really.

    I consider myself a pvp'er, but could never take SWTOR pvp seriously, because of multiple reasons (gear/lack of e-sport support, etc.).
    GW2 offers better options, although it still lacks compared to GW1, IMO.
    Definitely, I enjoy PvP in GW2 much much more than TOR. I find it more challenging and more engaging in a variety of ways.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

  19. #39
    Herald of the Titans Beavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Definitely, I enjoy PvP in GW2 much much more than TOR. I find it more challenging and more engaging in a variety of ways.
    Maybe I'm missing something because I haven't played the WvWvW yet, but the sPvP feels like a zergy mess. Give me Huttball over that EotS without the Flag/Battlefield game mode any day.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Big LOLs heading your way.

    Just saying "I still top dps"...uh what? Have you ever played GW2? The combat is not clunky, or awkward, or simplistic. It is a more dynamic ombat system than any MMO we have currently. Just because you aren't good at a game doesn't mean you have to bash it. The problem with WvW isn't the combat, it's that if you aren't in a zerg group, you are just getting killed every time you step 5 feet away from the only spawn you have available.

    I hate to tell people this, but the PvP in SWTOR is no different than WoW. Sure there are different mechanics in the maps, huttball and whatnot, but it still feels the same. Combat in SWTOR is as close to that style as any game I've ever played. It doesn't prevent me from loving it though. I'll defend this game, because I think it's fun, but I'm not going to let you spout completely untrue statements about another game in the process.

    And ps, if you are clicking abilities in any game you are doing wrong. GW2 is so dynamic that it basically requires hotkeys/mouse buttons to play at top efficiency...but so does every game.
    My comment about still topping DPS was saying that even against or with good players in better gear I still compete and was in response to people that think it's only people in good gear that like SWTOR pvp due to outgearing people.

    I have played GW2 but can't be bothered logging in any more as mentioned above as I think the combat is not very interesting. Trying to asert that I don't like GW2 PVP because I am no good at it is ridiculous as you're just making things up. The only things more dynamic about GW2 combat is that you can dodge (sort of can in SWTOR/WOW too by running out of LOS or range of a ravage) and the combos (that typically happen randomly in the zerg rather than intentionally). You have less abilities in general combat but a number of cooldowns. You sit there waiting for your third autoswing to connect, but if they go out of range it resets and stops swinging. Or you charge and miss your oponent for some unknown reason. It's clunky and not very fun. Also there is no excuse for not having resources to monitor.

    Small scale PVP always shows who the better PVP player is rather than zergs which is why many of us dislike WvWvW as everyone just runs around in zergs. They need someway to incentivise smaller skirmishes where individual skill takes over. As I've said a few times, in my opinion Planetside is the only game where WvWvW has worked well and that is because continents are huge and if one faction is ahead, they have lots more fronts to defend and therefore you have a chance of taking bases back.

    Anyway enough GW2 criticism and will just say that SWTOR is doing ok and server levels are good for the most part. I think a lot of people have been burnt by recent Blizz releases and may not return for MOP. I'm 50/50 as I really enjoy SWTOR Ops and my schedule means that I can't do that and WOW raids at the same time. Overall I think SWTOR is the best MMO at the moment, it needs some work (eg Duel spec and free movement flight especially PVP) but the actual flashpoints, WZ and Ops that have come out are all top quality and it seems that the most recent OP is very much bug free from all reports. Looking forward to more content and maintaining my subscription.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •