Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I verified my email. Yes. My partner can attest to this too.

Thanks for creating a Guild Wars account!

You're almost done-we just need you to confirm your email address by clicking the link below.

account.guildwars2.com/verify?userid=8D0B52CD-90EB-E111-BBF3-78E7D1936222&sessid=2FC7F43A-DB73-4AEB-9D37-1BFB434F2945

Need help or have questions about your account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

--The ArenaNet Team

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    I don't accept the premise that I should be *forced* to use 15 billion different emails and passwords just to keep my security. I don't have to lie about where I live to everyone who asks me, and I don't have to rely on 15 billion different mobile phone numbers to stop potential stalkers.
    Then you accept getting hacked, period because if you do its your fault. No company can secure YOUR computer. If you dont take the proper steps in securing YOUR OWN information by taking normal safeguard practices against hackers you have no one to blame when your account gets hacked other than yourself.

The very FIRST time I got one of those fishy emails you know what I did? I changed the password to all my email accounts. changed the email associated with my GW2 account to a new one only for that game and the in game password. You know what happened? No more fishing emails.... Amazing how that works.

Deleted
    Did you get the mail stating that you successfully verified your email?

Because if you tried to verify during prelaunch the link they sent you were flawed and would'nt work.

Deleted
    Well it must've been verified because on the 8th September I received this email:

A login attempt from the following location is currently awaiting your authorization.

Address: 114.45.79.246
    City: Taipei
    Region: 03

This location is approximated based on information provided by your Internet Service Provider. If in doubt, deny the request and try again.

For security purposes, we alert you each time your account is accessed from an unrecognized location. To authenticate this login attempt, please click the link below:

account.guildwars2.com/allow-login?token=7030953E-4F44-443C-83FC-D35B854C0C21&request=400D0922-3A2A-406F-921E-301626D3CAC2&ip=114.45.79.246

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: en.support.guildwars2.com/
    Thanks!
    --The ArenaNet Team
    Obviously I didn't click the link. The account was verified, but I never received an email last night regarding the intrusion.

Then you accept getting hacked, period because if you do its your fault. No company can secure YOUR computer.
    I'm running both AVG and Kaspersky. I don't use an authenticator for WoW and I use the same email/password as I did for GW2 (let's pray those pesky hackers don't read MMO forums eh?) and in WoW I have over 2~ million gold (playing the AH is a hobby of mine). I use the same email for MSN and Hotmail and I use the same email to deal with paypal/banking - neither of which have been compromised either.

Basically, if my hotmail got hacked (thus allowing them to hack my GW2 account) - hotmail would lock itself down becoming unusable. By this nature, even if I had an intrusion on my account I (or they, the hackers) would not be able to verify it. However, my hotmail hasn't been hacked. Nor has my paypal, bank account, WoW account. Just my GW2 account. As I said, I don't need 15 billion different phone numbers or addresses to fend of potential murders, stalker etc.

I posted some tips on securing your account here. Pay special attention to the password and email parts. You won't have any issues whatsoever afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarissaxoxo View Post
    Obviously I didn't click the link. The account was verified, but I never received an email last night regarding the intrusion.
    In that case, the hackers probably also got into your email account. Either because they still have access to your computer, or because your email account got hacked, too (especially if you use the same password for that, too).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    In that case, the hackers probably also got into your email account. Either because they still have access to your computer, or because your email account got hacked, too (especially if you use the same password for that, too).
    Although I do, I've explained this. If someone from another country logs into your hotmail account it instantly locks itself down, not allowing incoming/outgoing emails or allowing access to view them.

I posted some tips on securing your account here. Pay special attention to the password and email parts. You won't have any issues whatsoever afterwards.
    Well I'm glad you felt the need to be condescending and post without reading any of the posts in the thread. Thank you.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I find it weird that on the first page of threads a quarter of the posts are asking for technical help, this is due to the piss poor customer services of Anet, the account security is ludicrous but you'll get Drakwurrm in here telling you its your fault you got hacked and that you deserve it. I got hacked in WoW bought an authenticator never hacked again, in fact I haven't been hacked on my GW2 account yet but the fact is I dont have much defence against them if they tried.
    A AAA game with Z quality security on release
    completly of topic for a sec: I hate that avatar of yours, it just screams punch me in the face!!!(no personal threatening intended of some sort)

on topic: being hacked sucks, make sure you use different passwords and different email if you're going to put your mail adress somewhere on the webz (I have like 5-6 different email adresses)

Deleted
    They could use some tunneling service to access hotmail having an IP that appears as an USA adress? That's what I would use if I were them. Or they could even have their own tunneling service with a couple USA located computer re-routing hotmail access request?

It would take much less bandwidth than actually re-route game data and would be easily doable.

If you didn't get a mail at all that night, it means they logged from your IP adress, or from the exact same adress that was sent in the previous mail. Perhaps they somehow managed to "create" that login attempt link and totaly skip the hotmail part? If that's true that would be scary indeed. But then there would be an overwhelming amount of people hacked.

I wonder if hacking is still as profitable given that games like GW2 already offer a way for people to legally transform $ into gold. Also the "no direct trade" also means that mail system must be used, leaving a trail of evidences, making buying gold from shady website incredibly risky. I didn't think that GW2 hacking would be profitable compared to wow.

Deleted
    I had around 200g~ on my character, which I think in GW2 terms is worth £800-1000? I'm not entirely sure. I also had Dusk of Rage in my inventory which I bought for my partner.

I still think the service is pretty poor and lackluster, but whatever. It's not like I can convince people ANet can do more until they, themselves, suffer the same fate. Though I wouldn't ever wish that to happen.

Deleted
    I haven't been hacked yet myself mostly because I use different strong passwords for every game I sign up for, however a friend of mine has been hacked (1 bar before level 80 as well) and he's had to go through hell to get his account back.
    In the end, they didn't even help him get it back to begin with, they just re-enabled password restore so he could go about it himself, they didn't do rerolls so all his stuff was gone and they took his proud first level 80 moment away too.

Deleted
    yeah i got hacked aswell, took them a week and a half, maybe 2 weeks to sort, they said it was un-banned, still banned.

Also, they wont be able to restore items/characters, so they better still be there or im kicking up a shit-storm

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinze View Post
    I haven't been hacked yet myself mostly because I use different strong passwords for every game I sign up for, however a friend of mine has been hacked (1 bar before level 80 as well) and he's had to go through hell to get his account back.
    In the end, they didn't even help him get it back to begin with, they just re-enabled password restore so he could go about it himself, they didn't do rerolls so all his stuff was gone and they took his proud first level 80 moment away too.
    It's not too bad for me, I can make gold pretty fast in GW2. I just need about 5-10g to start with and I can make probably 100g per day. Assuming I'm lucky with the first few items (by this I mean I get 2g for a 60s deposit).

Quote Originally Posted by Lucette View Post
    I'm sorry. But sure. Some blame has to be passed on to ArenaNet.

But nowadays, if you manage to get hacked it's more than likely down to the users incompetence.
    This is typically the case, but they're missing a rather important step in their account security, and that is the verification step to change your e-mail address. With that step 90% of these cases wouldn't occur to such a serious degree. While using the same password for everything is stupid, ArenaNet is at fault here also.

Deleted
    The whole web-facing portion of Anet's Guild Wars 2 strategy has been lackluster, as judged by the anecdotal evidence presented by the OP and scores of people on the official twitter, reddit, mmoc and gw2guru. Frankly, I'm not sure how an MMO can get by without 2 step verification. It risks the personal details of a million (or more) people, a risk that I think Anet was expected to mitigate with reasonable means. Sure, clients get hacked all the time, I'm sure some people have loads of keyloggers (or worse) on their machine - but at the end of the day those are not the bulk of these 'hacks'. The bulk is simply done by running old, known account details through the system. Is it kind of weaksauce that people use the same password / username combo for everything? Sure, but it's the norm - not some magical incident that they couldn't have foreseen. Anyone that's spent 10 minutes in a large enterprise knows that even the biggest brained people use the dumbest possible passwords and they use them everywhere.

That doesn't change the fact that Anet took our personal information and then neglected to provide adequate security implementations to safeguard it. Instead, we get redirected into using Yahoo's or Gmail's 2 step verification process to cover Arenanet's failure to meet a common expectation. Frankly, this isn't a question of "people are dumb for password duplication", it's a matter of an internet-oriented tech business abdicating responsibility to a non-partner third party because they can't be fucked to fix their weak login system. Arenanet bears responsibility for our accounts, regardless of what external means we use to authenticate ourselves. They're the ones taking our money. So why the fuck are we being routed into companies like Google, that have nothing to do with the Guild Wars brand or NCSoft or Arenanet, to safeguard our personal information?

Physical tokens, virtual tokens, desktop applications or smartphone apps - it doesn't matter. These things are all available to make sure this type of bollocks doesn't happen in this volume. In 2001 when someone got hold of an email address' login details that was the end of the line for a regular consumer. These days that's not the case. It's 2012 and I still have to worry about brute-force dictionary attacks and email hacks to keep my personal details safe in Anet servers? /spit

I find it weird that on the first page of threads a quarter of the posts are asking for technical help, this is due to the piss poor customer services of Anet, the account security is ludicrous but you'll get Drakwurrm in here telling you its your fault you got hacked and that you deserve it. I got hacked in WoW bought an authenticator never hacked again, in fact I haven't been hacked on my GW2 account yet but the fact is I dont have much defence against them if they tried.
    Bolded part made me laugh. So true.

That said, statistically it usually is the users fault. Using the same account/password combinations will eventually cause a leak somewhere and since these are statistics that are currently outdated and already immense:

While reliable figures for gold farming are hard to come by,[12] there are some estimates of the market for in-game currency.

In 2005 The New York Times stated that there were over 100,000 full-time gold farmers in China alone.[5] And in 2006 sales of such virtual goods were thought to amount to somewhere between 200[13] and 900 million USD.[4]

Another estimate, drawn from 2005/2006 data, valued the market at not less than USD200 million per year[14] and suggested that over 150,000 people were employed as gold farmers with average monthly earnings of USD145.[14] This same report estimated that 80% of all gold farmers were from China[12] a fact which has led to prejudice towards Chinese players.[15] 2008 figures from the Chinese State valued the Chinese trade in virtual currency at over several billion yuan, or nearly USD300 million.[16]
    They probably have the people and the money to invest time in trying all known combinations when a new game launches. They're mafia, what can I say.

Anet is still partially responsible, because they do not have anything even close to water tight. It's basically some glue and a rope.

---------- Post added 2012-09-12 at 12:02 PM ----------

Although I do, I've explained this. If someone from another country logs into your hotmail account it instantly locks itself down, not allowing incoming/outgoing emails or allowing access to view them.

Well I'm glad you felt the need to be condescending and post without reading any of the posts in the thread. Thank you.
    Hotmail is extremely prone to being hacked. It's one of the few big email services of which I actually suspect that they have some major leaks. I had an account with them for 14 years. Recently it got hacked and I last actively used it 5 years ago, so I couldn't get it back even if I wanted to. That said, the password was unique. never been used anywhere else and not used for over half a year. Suddenly it gets hacked. After 14 years.

None of my other accounts that I have, have ever been hacked.

I doubt the instant lock though. My sister got hacked by some chinese, but definitely didn't get insta-locked.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-09-12 at 12:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Played MMOs since EQ1, I have never been hacked: EQ1, AO, EnB, FFXI, WoW, GW2, TSW.

Never bought gold.

i got hacked in WoW, didnt buy an auth and never got hacked again. I got hacked because i used the same email/pass on a guild website which was the same email/pass on my email, which was the same email/pass on my WoW account. so once that website was hacked they had all my info and hacked both my email and WoW. I changed both my pass to my email after i got it back as well as changing the email to my WoW account. I now get lots of emails from hackers attempting to hack my account on that old email. I get emails from games i dont even play, aka Swtor.

There is a email verification system and i thought u had to allow someone in another location to change ur pass and stuff.

It's not difficult to get VPN access in just about any country, allowing hackers to pretend that they're actually logging in from Denver or San Francisco, for example, when they're actually in Taiwan.

Deleted
    Get a gmail account with double check login (they send you a text msg to your phone each time you login on a new computer) + verify that adress, I think that's as good as it can be.