[Prot] Our/MY damage since 5.0.4

Is it just me or are we doing ridicoulusly low damage now? Because im barely doing 15k on single target bosses in dungeons/raids. My rotation is just as the guides tells me to do but still I'm worried. Normaly, my DK tank (about 5ilvls over me) is doing 10k more overall dps in a normal heroic averaging about 24k dps overall and about 23k+ on bosses depending on buffs. While my paladin is doing about 12-14k average overall dps in an normal heroic and about 11-15k on bosses.
    Whats wrong? Or do I need to wait until level 90 to get it balanced?

(Armory link to my paladin: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Telonic/simple, I know I got unenchanted gear and unused JC gems, but that shouldnt matter THAT much?)
    Minions... servants... soldiers of the cold dark! Obey the call of Kel'Thuzad!
    *chills*

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't tested 5 mans very much to be honest. But in raids our dps insane. 60-85k on madness, 40k on Ultraxion. 25-30k Everywhere else. It's great fun

By the way, love your transmog ^^
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Only been a dps increase post patch for me tbh, particularly in raids.
    Dont really do 5 mans atm, though when i do it's in full dps gear (with sword and shield ofc).
    Something like 30-40k dps in raid bosses and ~40k dps in 5 mans

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhod View Post
    Whats wrong?
    I doubt there's anything wrong with your playstyle. Blizzard said they wanted to lower tank damage in 5 mans and to raise in 25 man raids. It seems to depend more heavily on vengeance. If you are taking no or low damage - and this seems particularly the case with many small hits from trash - you will do less damage than before the patch. Conversely, if you are subject to a big hit - like an impale in Madness - your damage will be very high.

I haven't played much as prot with my paladin post patch but did notice my damage was markedly lower than before while doing dailies and the Baradin Hold boss.

In the short run, you could reforge to 7.5% hit and expertise. That will increase your damage modestly and also give you more holy power for active mitigation.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're talking about HoT dungeons, those suck for us because of all the magic damage going on (they -generally- don't give as much vengeance as rapid melee hits a la ZA and ZG). My dps has always been low in those places.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhod View Post
    Is it just me or are we doing ridicoulusly low damage now? Because im barely doing 15k on single target bosses in dungeons/raids. My rotation is just as the guides tells me to do but still I'm worried. Normaly, my DK tank (about 5ilvls over me) is doing 10k more overall dps in a normal heroic averaging about 24k dps overall and about 23k+ on bosses depending on buffs. While my paladin is doing about 12-14k average overall dps in an normal heroic and about 11-15k on bosses.
    Whats wrong? Or do I need to wait until level 90 to get it balanced?

(Armory link to my paladin: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Telonic/simple, I know I got unenchanted gear and unused JC gems, but that shouldnt matter THAT much?)
    \

Damage definitely feels a bit lower since 5.0.4. Ironically, the better your gear and the less damage you take, the more you may notice it.

Absolutely nothing to worry about, though. Patch 5.0.4 isn't balanced around end game Cataclysm gear and level 85. It's balanced around the gear you'll get in the first tier of Mists and being level 90. It's common for numbers to feel "out of whack" (too high or too low) in the pre-xpac patch.

Just wait until you're level 90 in fresh blues, when everyone's dps will be low and new raid bosses mash your face into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexryn View Post
    \

Damage definitely feels a bit lower since 5.0.4. Ironically, the better your gear and the less damage you take, the more you may notice it.

Absolutely nothing to worry about, though. Patch 5.0.4 isn't balanced around end game Cataclysm gear and level 85. It's balanced around the gear you'll get in the first tier of Mists and being level 90. It's common for numbers to feel "out of whack" (too high or too low) in the pre-xpac patch.

Just wait until you're level 90 in fresh blues, when everyone's dps will be low and new raid bosses mash your face into the ground.
    This is def true, did ds last week, and because my mitigation is so high it took a bit for my vengeance to get up there, but my DK off tank builds it super fast, as we progress through MoP it's just something we will have to be aware of.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by silvertitan View Post
    This is def true, did ds last week, and because my mitigation is so high it took a bit for my vengeance to get up there, but my DK off tank builds it super fast, as we progress through MoP it's just something we will have to be aware of.
    I think the main thing we should really be aware of is the fact that prot is a tank spec and doesn't have to do a ton of damage as long as you keep aggro. It's nice to have big numbers but thats not the priorety. True mitigation will hold off vengence however mitigation should still be the overall goal. If you have aggro problems at that point then along with 7.5% hit and expertise (which i feel is super important anyway.) You can glyph word of glory to do damage.
    Last edited by dragconus; 2012-09-17 at 05:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dragconus View Post
    ...after stacking through shield of the righteous 5 time word of glory should be a huge dps boost..\
    Bastion of Glory only works for WoGs that you cast on yourself.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corylyn View Post
    Bastion of Glory only works for WoGs that you cast on yourself.
    I stand corrected..still if aggro becomes an issue different glyphs including turning word into damage should help

It's the vengeance mechanic. I've been tanking a variety of 5-mans in the past week to get some friends who haven't played in a long time up and running before MoP hits, and I've seen my DPS wildly vary depending on the DPS I'm running with. When we did HoT with a pair of geared out players hitting 40-50K, the mobs died so fast I was only doing 15-20K. When we had runs with much weaker DPS performing in the 15-20K range themselves, I was hitting 40K on some fights, because the mobs were living long enough for me to hit full vengeance stacks and take advantage of those stacks for a relatively long proportion of the fight.

I should clarify also that I am reforged for Hit/Expertise cap, and dumped as much dodge and parry as possible to both cover my offensive/threat stats and boost my Mastery as high as possible. Works like a charm for holding threat and with fast, reliable Holy Power generation and the new mitigation model for Shield of the Righteous, survivability remains high and damage relatively smooth.
    Last edited by Camaris; 2012-09-17 at 06:13 PM.