New build IDE/SATA issue

So i bought a new mobo/cpu/ram combo, done it before and no problems, no need to reinstall windows etc but this time ive gone and bought a mobo without IDE sockets.

I have a PCI card IDE controller with sockets, problem is my hdd and 2 optical drives are all IDE and the new bios cannot find any of them.

Even tried sata/ide bi adapters to no avail.

Ideally I would like to be able to boot from the hdd via the pci controller, what method can I use to achieve this?

MOBO: asus p8z77-v lx
    Never argue with and idiot. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Some people should be forced to re-level their toons, and pay more attention to the process...

$20 for a new DVD drive or make bootable USB stick out of the Windows installation disc on some other computer.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I would also suggest getting a SATA dvd drive. 20 bucks, plus less clutter in your PC due to smaller cabling.

I can borrow the sata dvd drive from this computer later, just burned a copy of xp sp3 onto cd, so fingers crossed i can get it running.
    Never argue with and idiot. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
    Some people should be forced to re-level their toons, and pay more attention to the process...

XP does not support DirectX11. You'll be severely gimping yourself on a new computer with 10 year old OS.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Im surprised you said you haven't had problems with Windows before when installing so much new hardware, I thought XP onwards required re-authentication if you changed too much of the hardware :S Its probably a good idea to re-install a clean version of the OS anyway, otherwise there could be driver conflicts. As the person above says, XP isn't ideal for a modern computer :S if you cant be bothered paying for Windows 7/8 maybe try Ubuntu or something, If its for World of Warcraft it can be run under WINE with almost no performance hit. If your wanting to play other games though that might not be a great solution xD

If you cant run your IDE hard disk even using a data/ide convertor then try checking if the motherboard supports booting from USB, if it does you could maybe get a cheap external USB case for the hard drive and boot from that (might do until you get a SATA hard drive, and would be a good back up disk afterwards) but for the price you could probably almost buy a small SATA HDD anyway.

Other than that, check to see if your motherboard has any BIOS updates available that might resolve the IDE PCI card issue.
    Your limited in your options running incompatible hardware with newer shinier parts :S Hardware manufacturers have no incentive to support older tech, they want to sell you the new stuff they churn out every few weeks. :S
    Last edited by mmoc5eb2937091; 2012-09-12 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Typos

so xp sp3 iso disc wont boot, but the vista and 7 recovery discs i have do...oh the fun im having getting this to work lol

In a couple of months im goin to get a new sata hard drive and install windows 7 on it fresh, I just wanna get this running in the mean time.

Deleted
    I'd just wait till you get the SATA hard disk tbh, you'll probably spend so much time trying to get it to work and get so much frustration its probably not worth it xD once the SATA hard disk is installed and booted you can probably plug in the IDE by an external usb case or the PCI IDE card and just transfer over the stuff you need. Use the time you'd spend getting frustrated at this to do something more worthwhile instead xD

You'll need to install the ide controller driver for the pc to recognize whatever you have connected to it and then you might (most likely u don't have to) set the bios to IDE from AHCI or SATA.

I wouldn't use anything IDE. It's old technology and sata has been around for a while. I wouldn't put old hardware in a new motherboard.

You can get a good sata internal or a usb 3.0 external disc drive from online for decent price.
    Last edited by c0rnel; 2012-09-13 at 12:59 AM.