Question Swapping Weapon Skills?

Do you think this will be likely to happen? Like being able to swap button 1 or button 2 of any weapon with a different type of attack of the same weapon (think of it as specific weapon skill-set swapping). I think this seems to be a very foreseeable mechanic to be added in later content patches. It would deepen the game immensely combat-wise (as I'm sure they would add/have new weapon variants along with new content), and go along swimmingly with the hot-swapping of weapons mid-battle as well as the hot-swapping of class skills (6-0 buttons)--basically there would be a second set of weapon skills to modify or swap with the original weapon skills.

In my mind, this is going to happen, I am just hopeful it's sooner rather than later.

I guess as a sub question, would you rather see completely new types of attacks or be able to modify the existing weapon skills (a la gems and sigils) into something different (add another swing/cast/shot on hit, cause aoe confusion explosion, grant random boon/condition for x seconds, instant refill of energy bar, etc)?
    "Angle of incidence equals angle of reflectance. Meaning, if you can see them, they can see you. Use the environment around you. Free yourself from the tyranny of eye-level!"--Roger Dodger i also play the git-box
    Poke THIS Robot--it's a link to MY MUSIC!--

No, I don't think that's a good idea, nor do I think it's likely to happen

It would just be a mess to balance, and we'd likely end up with a very imbalanced game as a result
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

I don't see how it would be "a mess" to basically design a second set of attacks. now, swapping it back and forth (mix-and-matching) pre-battle may be a little odd to balance, sure, but I think it would be quite fun to have more diversity since this game begs for it--not to say it doesn't have it, but that it wants it like I want Zooey Deshanananana in my racecar bed
    "Angle of incidence equals angle of reflectance. Meaning, if you can see them, they can see you. Use the environment around you. Free yourself from the tyranny of eye-level!"--Roger Dodger i also play the git-box
    Poke THIS Robot--it's a link to MY MUSIC!--

Quote Originally Posted by Qwell View Post
    I don't see how it would be "a mess" to basically design a second set of attacks. now, swapping it back and forth (mix-and-matching) pre-battle may be a little odd to balance, sure, but I think it would be quite fun to have more diversity since this game begs for it--not to say it doesn't have it, but that it wants it like I want Zooey Deshanananana in my racecar bed
    The game already has more than enough Abilities, and Talents for each (eight) Class, and it's already not balanced very well as is. Adding "a second set of attacks" only serves to hurt the balance, and cause more problems. With extensive testing, they could theoretically implement this, without causing a further imbalance, but I don't really want them spending development time on that. I also don't see how just adding more abilities to the game really helps anything, or adds to the gameplay, so I doubt it will happen

As for Zoey Deschanel, I'd have sex with her, but I wouldn't let her my racecar bed
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Qwell View Post
    Do you think this will be likely to happen? Like being able to swap button 1 or button 2 of any weapon with a different type of attack of the same weapon (think of it as specific weapon skill-set swapping). I think this seems to be a very foreseeable mechanic to be added in later content patches. It would deepen the game immensely combat-wise (as I'm sure they would add/have new weapon variants along with new content), and go along swimmingly with the hot-swapping of weapons mid-battle as well as the hot-swapping of class skills (6-0 buttons)--basically there would be a second set of weapon skills to modify or swap with the original weapon skills.

In my mind, this is going to happen, I am just hopeful it's sooner rather than later.

I guess as a sub question, would you rather see completely new types of attacks or be able to modify the existing weapon skills (a la gems and sigils) into something different (add another swing/cast/shot on hit, cause aoe confusion explosion, grant random boon/condition for x seconds, instant refill of energy bar, etc)?
    No, though people would think it would be nice to be able to pick say "5 short bow skills out of 12 possible options" it would be a disaster to try to balance anything since there would be little to no way to go "ok this weapon XXX has this and this utility that adds survivability so its 'white damage' needs to be 5.2% less then weapon YYY which has a single different utility and only one instead of two"... only way you could really balance that is say 1-3 have to be straight up damage only and 4-5 have to have 1 type of utility on them... and then you don't really get options anyways since it would force a very set type of weapon set up.

On top of that it would be to overwhelming for new players have have to pick between so many things so early into the game... would I like being able to go ok I want the spells on 2-5 to be able to be reordered from ABCD to DACB? yes... would I like total freedom between say 12 different skills in those first 4-5 slots no, it would not really add any real options other then "which cookie cutter would you like to use today" because there is no feasible way where making say a sword with cleaving, bleeding, and snares balanced with same said sword with cleaving, blindness, teleporting, poison, and knockbacks...which is why it would just be cookie cutters and just artificial "options"

I think it would be more likely that they would add additional weapons before they would alow swaping out of skills in the specific weapons. Part of their design goals with the weapon skill system was to ensure each weapon was not only viable but had a specific theam. While being able to pick from a pool of skills would still alow for thematic skills on the weapon it would then become possible to make weapon builts that were quite gimped if a player took only utility options with long CD's out of the pool and no damage. The only way I could see it happening would be less of the pool of abilitys for a weapon and more along the lines of 1 or 2 alternate abilitys per slot that can only go in that slot. Something like warrior sword mainhand has the bleed chain as default but its alternate option does a bit more upfront damage and applys vulnerability instead. you can pick either for that slot but you cant slot savage leap or whatever alternate they come up with into the first slot. Still even thinking along those lines I'd find it more likely that they'd just add another type of sword, maybe call it a rapier, to instead of leting you swap those skills out individualy.

Now if on the other hand you just wanted to move the slots around to different bar positions I wouldnt be surprised if that option shows up eventualy. AKA you'd rather the spamable 1 ability were moved over to slot 3 on the bar(not just the keybind change but its bar location too) and just transposed the two skills. I do have to say one of the few disappointments I've had with the game is the UI customization. It was implied to be at least as good as the first games out of the box customization and its frankly not even close. I expect they will make improvements on that front eventually and being able to reorganize bar locations would be right up the ally of this feature.

Who is John Galt?

No, and i personally think it would be a poor idea.

Their current system is great and very happy with it.