Current or near future top fighting game?

I recenty decided I am going to leave pc gaming and go back to consoles. I just want a more social gaming experience. Yes PC games like LoL and WoW which I played are social but I can't invite someone over and have them play with me as easily as just plugging in an extra controller. I am going to get a PS3 since I had a xbox360 the last place I lived. I want to get some good fighting games that are popular (so people will be familiar with them) and one where someone who is not a great gamer can sit down and enjoy themselves. There is a lot of games like Streetfighter x Tekken , Tekken Tag 2, Blazblue, Super Street Fighter 4, Dead or Alive, Soul Cailbur, Skull Girls, Marvel vs Capcom 3. Theres the Playstation version of Super Smash Bros that intrigues me. I am also interested by Steetfighter vs Tekken from the roster I saw. I like the art styles of Blazblue and Skullgirls.

I am really not up to date on consoles and especially fighting games. The last game I played which is my favorite real console game I played a lot of in the last half a decade is Tatsunoko vs Capcom for Wii. I loved that game. Loved the fighting and the characters. I like playing fighting games with fight sticks so I'll likely get one too for which ever game or games I decide on. I want a fun game that is easy to get into and has a lot of depth to it. I favor more of the arcade style and cartoonish look.

Any suggestions from people that know much more than I do on this subject?

Personally I still invite friends and family over to play SSB: Melee on my GameCube lol I know there's a new Dead or Alive game coming out Sept. 25th that looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Personally I still invite friends and family over to play SSB: Melee on my GameCube lol
    Can I come? I'm best Zelda/Shiek you'll meet.

My absolute favourites are the Soul Calibur games. The 8-Way Run system, the incredible graphics and visual styles, and very unique individual fighting styles.
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Can I come? I'm best Zelda/Shiek you'll meet.
    idk I'm pretty beast with Zelda. Dat jump kick!

Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    My absolute favourites are the Soul Calibur games. The 8-Way Run system, the incredible graphics and visual styles, and very unique individual fighting styles.
    I loved SC2 on GameCube. I have a ton of killer combos on Talim that made my friends stop playing with me ^_^ Great fighting games though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post

I loved SC2 on GameCube. I have a ton of killer combos on Talim that made my friends stop playing with me ^_^ Great fighting games though.
    Are you me?

Except..while I own it on Gamecube, I played it the most on Xbox, so I'm more used o those controls. Talim was always the best.

I'd say Persona 4 Arena. It's a 2D fighter, pretty easy to get into (4 buttons, easy input commands [only quarter circle and charge inputs] while having a ton of depth, has an anime style similar to BlazBlue, and the fighting game portion of the game was made by the same people who made BlazBlue. It's an extremely solid fighter and has a pretty strong playerbase, thanks to it being Persona and being recently released. And the online play, if you're gonna do that, is pretty good. It plays decently enough even on my terrible Hawaiian internet.

Quote Originally Posted by macklelol View Post
    I'd say Persona 4 Arena. It's a 2D fighter, pretty easy to get into (4 buttons, easy input commands [only quarter circle and charge inputs] while having a ton of depth, has an anime style similar to BlazBlue, and the fighting game portion of the game was made by the same people who made BlazBlue. It's an extremely solid fighter and has a pretty strong playerbase, thanks to it being Persona and being recently released. And the online play, if you're gonna do that, is pretty good. It plays decently enough even on my terrible Hawaiian internet.
    I forgot to mention that one. It seemed cool when I first heard about it but I never looked into it since at the time I didn't have a PS3/wasnt planning on getting one. The Persona games is one of the reasons I went with Playstation over Xbox.

Super Street Figther 4 Arcade Edition is the best fighting game.
    If you plan to play with yours friends, it will be fun. But, if you want to go online, then i would suggest any other game, in ssf4 you will get rolfstomped all day.For me, SSF4 has a much harder learning curve than StarCraft 2. (i'm 10 wins/120 loses on Steam ~.~)

Any fight game with friends will be fun.

*Edit: i forgot about Marvel vs Capcom, give it a try, awesome game.

If you're looking for a less realistic art style, and something easy to get into, but with plenty of depth, I'd definitely recommend MvC3 (Or UMvC3, at this point). It's certainly very easy to get into, a lot of basics in the game are easy to pick up, but the far more advanced ideas (cross-ups, mix-ups, unblockables, team synergy, proper zoning, spacing, rushing down, etc) are pretty plentiful.

From what I heard the latest Mortal Kombat game is considered to be the best one of the series, might be worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a lot of games like Streetfighter x Tekken , Tekken Tag 2, Blazblue, Super Street Fighter 4, Dead or Alive, Soul Cailbur, Skull Girls, Marvel vs Capcom 3. Theres the Playstation version of Super Smash Bros that intrigues me. I am also interested by Steetfighter vs Tekken from the roster I saw. I like the art styles of Blazblue and Skullgirls.
    I'm a hardcore fighting game player, and while I'm not a pro, my opinion might value something.

SFxT: It is good, it is fun, and easily the best "party fighting game", thanks to the scramble mode. If you want a game to have fun with non-player friends, that's the game. But, because of the "on-disk DLC issue", this game is really hated by a lot of fighting game player. If you want a game with a "scene" (meaning competitive players to play against), this is not the best option avaliable.

TTT2: I'm not a 3D fightiing games players, but from what I heard, this game is being well received by Tekken players.

BBCS: Great game for competition, boring game for casuals. The mechanics are too complex for a newbie to pick it up and start pwning. It doesn't have a big scene too.

SSF4: This game has a huge advantage: everybody knows the basics about Ryu. But I wouldn't say SF4 is newbie friendly, don't expect non-players to plink and FADC. Great game for competition, it has a big scene, and casuals usually like it.

DoA and SC: I don't like them, so I won't say anything.

SG: My casuals friends hate it, my hardcore friend found it ok. I never got the hype on this game. The characters are weird, the colours are terrible, the game doesn't look that nice. I wouldn't say this game is newbie friendly either, but I understand who disagrees.

MvC3: The best game for mashers, in my opinion. As a competitive game, I like the hype, it is fun, but you can't seriously say the game is balanced or that it is "pure skill". There's a lot of lucky and momentum involved, and that's why it is so friendly to button mashers.

KoFXIII (you didn't mentioned it): In my opinion, this is the best game to have if you want both a casual-friendly and a competitive fighting game. It has scene, it is balanced, it is easy to pick (except by the HD combos), and the characters are nice (everybody loves Iori Yagami, right? ). The main problem is that the sets take too long, specially between players that can't combo properly. Any best out of 3 takes at least 10 minutes.

I hope it helped.

Deleted
    Street Fighter Alpha 3 - hands down.

As for the 3D ones, I couldn't really get into them that much but I wasted quite a few hours on the Soul Calibur series. Depending on the mood I'll prefer the first or one of its sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Are you me?

Except..while I own it on Gamecube, I played it the most on Xbox, so I'm more used o those controls. Talim was always the best.
    I had it on xbox to. Was more a siegfried guy though. When I was at my peak I was playing lots of Xianghua though, she has so much change up it really messes with peoples heads.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    I had it on xbox to. Was more a siegfried guy though. When I was at my peak I was playing lots of Xianghua though, she has so much change up it really messes with peoples heads.
    Xianghua was my #2 character. I was pretty damn good with Kilik too, but then again, who wasn't?

15+ Year Old Account
    Nothing beats super smash bros.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.