Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Building a monster..thoughts?

Hi there. Before I begin, a little about myself. I work at CompUSA and from time to time while helping people pick out builds as well as laptops,etc. I like to shop for me. At the moment this is what I'm running:

I7 2600k @4.8ghz
    Corsair H80 w/Scythe fans
    16gb Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Z68-V Pro board
    MSI 6850 OC
    OCZ Vertex 3 120gb
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    TT 750w modular psu
    CM Storm Enforcer case

Well..I've decided that while this is proving adequate for what I'm playing now ( SC2, WoW, GW2), I'd really like to go a bit further. On my desk I've had a 3930k in a box that's just staring at me, and while I know I can't take full advantage of it...I want to put it to work. But that's not the issue as much as wanting to go custom is. Custom as in..I want a solid mid tower that I can take a dremel to and paint. It's been a bitch trying to figure out which one to go with, but the Corsair lineup is looking good. I'm also anxious to drop in some quad-channel ram and a 7950, and most likely a revo drive.

With that being said,anyone have some suggestions on how to get started case-wise? On the card, the new XFX stuff we've gotten in looks great, but reviews make me slightly skeptical (cards failing, falling apart). I've had Sapphire in the past, maybe go back to them?

I'm pretty comfortable with doing builds..but I'm really aiming to go into territory I'm not that familiar with..a nice new project lol. Thanks for input!

10+ Year Old Account
    If the machine is for gaming only, you won't need an i7 2600k. The i5 3570k is newer tech and provides the same performance (arguably even better at comparable clocks).
    Z68 is an outdated chipset - go with Z77 instead. Asus is fine, but so would be Asrock, for example.
    16gb ram is not needed. 8gb would be plenty, but since ram is cheep, it's up to you.
    The gpu on the other hand is fairly weak and also outdated. You would be better of using a HD 7870 or a HD 7850 - both had just had significant cuts in price and are great cards that will easily max the games mentioned at standard resolution.
    The Vertex 3 is a bad choice for a SSD. Samsung 830, Crucial m4 and also most Corsair/Intel drives are much more reliable.
    For a single GPU setup you can easily get away with a 400-500W psu. If you are thinking about going for a second GPU in the future, go with a 600W psu. Also, what does TT stand for? I just don't see it right now.. Thermaltake? More reliable units come from Seasonic, Corsair etc.
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.3 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Corsair XMS3 PC-12800 8gb | MSI Radeon R7850 Twin Frozr III x2 Crossfire | Crucial M4 128gb | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb | BeQuiet! Straight Power E9 580W modular | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 evo | Fractal Design Arc Midi

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what I'm already running... The post was about what I'm going to run lol. I've found the Vertex 3's to be fast (550/525) and pretty reliable, but I'm aware of the older ones having major issues. Yeah, it's a Thermaltake psu.

The post was focused more on doing a more serious custom-style build (emphasis on the case), but your critique is appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sigh ... too early for me obviously

Sorry.
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.3 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Corsair XMS3 PC-12800 8gb | MSI Radeon R7850 Twin Frozr III x2 Crossfire | Crucial M4 128gb | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb | BeQuiet! Straight Power E9 580W modular | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 evo | Fractal Design Arc Midi

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol all good, and too late for me

Make sure you have a drill to take out rivets and send the case off to have the paint/powder coat removed before having it repainted/powdered.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Iv never had a problem with my vertex 4 maybe I'm lucky and the other 3 I have installed in friends computer have been running fine as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Make sure you have a drill to take out rivets and send the case off to have the paint/powder coat removed before having it repainted/powdered.
    Ahh, I haven't thought of that. Thanks! Having a tough time picking the case. I'm leaning towards the 600T, and I think I'd like to lexan/plexiglass the door with a 200mm+ fan. Not sure if it'd come out clean or not though :/

Is making the jump to a conventional liquid cooling setup extremely difficult?

Fan mounts in acrylic/plexiglass panels look shit, just saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh..i've been debating on doing an acryllic case, possibly a cube lol. I've seen some builds that just looked too busy, and some that were pretty badass.

I dont think so, if done correctly. Using rivets to secure the fan is always cleaner, the only issue you will have is hiding the wires. Running a tinted strip south, centered to the fan to run the wires down is the cleanest, easiest way to avoid seeing the wires IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinettik View Post
    I dont think so, if done correctly. Using rivets to secure the fan is always cleaner, the only issue you will have is hiding the wires. Running a tinted strip south, centered to the fan to run the wires down is the cleanest, easiest way to avoid seeing the wires IMO.
    The issue I have with it is that the holes in the plastic refract the light so much that the panel is practically opaque, right over the hardware a window is designed to show off.

I dont disagree there, which is why i would only personally run tinted acrylic. You dont get to see the components well in the light, but at night, with the proper lighting, you can get the desired effect. Also helps to hide any poor cable management you may have done (hope you havent, lol). Then again, Id take a mesh side panel anyday, and not worry about seeing inside with the case closed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been looking at cathodes, dunno if mesh would be the way to go lol. I did just look at the 600T with the mesh side.

If you are using a water cooling loop you don't really need the fans on the side panel anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are using a water cooling loop you don't really need the fans on the side panel anyway.
    i think im just obsessed with cooling.

Unnecessary extra noise IMO

10+ Year Old Account
    I've actually found that the larger fans make way less noise than to be expected, but meh.

What are your thoughts on 7870 vs 7950?

Yeah, but not having a fan there at all would make zero noise

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone go from dual to quad channel ram and notice a big difference? I'm really looking forward to taking advantage of pci 3.0. still cant decide between the cards (7870 or 7950).