Looking for a good headphone mic/ Headset

Hello, Members of Mmo champion

Note: I am in the USA

I am looking for a new headset to replace my now downed Corsair Vengeance 1500

Budget is likely 100-150, possibly able to increase pending the quality of the item listed, but I don't wanna drop $300 on a headset, and i think I can do well with 150$ max right?

Can be headphones plus a mic, but I would rather have some sort of clip on, I don't like to have a separate mic laying on my desk, but I could if the quality of what I am getting is amazing.

Requested:

Would Like 5.1 or even better 7.1 surround sound

comfort, would really love a high standard of comfort.

Would also like to add:

Games I play.

SWTOR once its free to play
    Diablo 3
    WoW
    Guild Was 2
    Smite
    Counter Strike - Global Offensive
    CoD mw3

The main reason for surround sound is to play Counter Strike, anyone that has played it knows that when you are the last guy left... Sound whoring isn't an option... It's a way of life.
    Last edited by Dupree; 2012-09-13 at 10:51 AM.

Get the takstar 2050(63$ shipped) and either zm1(3$) or modmic(30$), depending on how much you wanna drop on that.
    And then get a soundcard to get that 5.1 or 7.1.

Seriously, the takstar is so close to the dt 880 it's not even funny.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Get the takstar 2050(63$ shipped) and either zm1(3$) or modmic(30$), depending on how much you wanna drop on that.
    And then get a soundcard to get that 5.1 or 7.1.

Seriously, the takstar is so close to the dt 880 it's not even funny.
    Okay, looking into those right now, now pardon my ignorance, I don't see anything that says 5.1 or 7.1, can the headphones use 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound innately and just need the sound card (most of the 7.1 headsets I have seen before usually have a "built in sound card" which is usually shit

But thats interesting about the takstar vs dt 880 I do not pretend to know much about headphones.

but aren't dt 880s like $300?

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Okay, looking into those right now, now pardon my ignorance, I don't see anything that says 5.1 or 7.1, can the headphones use 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound innately and just need the sound card (most of the 7.1 headsets I have seen before usually have a "built in sound card" which is usually shit

But thats interesting about the takstar vs dt 880 I do not pretend to know much about headphones.

but aren't dt 880s like $300?
    Yes they are.
    the surround , like you said, comes from the soundcard, which with headsets is built in and hence why they are usb.

You might aswell just use a binaural file, it's the same effect, and should be used for judging the headphones themselves.

I'd even go as far as to say that the takstar have fairly many advantages over the dt 880.
    Their pads are softer, they require less power to be driven, etc. The only downside is a noticable spike in the 7k range.

Deleted
    I'm currently using this one.

Couldn't find anything negative about it.

Yes they are.
    the surround , like you said, comes from the soundcard, which with headsets is built in and hence why they are usb.

You might aswell just use a binaural file, it's the same effect, and should be used for judging the headphones themselves.

I'd even go as far as to say that the takstar have fairly many advantages over the dt 880.
    Their pads are softer, they require less power to be driven, etc. The only downside is a noticable spike in the 7k range.
    Thanks man! This is definitely something im interested in, Can you recommend a good sound card?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post

They're overpriced, below standard audio quality.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Thanks man! This is definitely something im interested in, Can you recommend a good sound card?
    Not really but i've heard good things about the asus xonar line.

The sound card you want is the Asus Xonar. go get it tiger!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post

While I have heard good things from buddies that have that headset about the comfort, I am looking at something that doesn't particularly say gaming, or from a company that sells gaming gear, just because I have done that with the Logitech G35, and Corsair Vegence 1500 and while they were both nice, My dad had a pair of sennheiser's that gave mine a kick in the ass because sennheiser didn't focus on gaming marketing perks, just pure sound.

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 11:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MeleX View Post
    Thats 2 for 2. Thanks man!

Seems everyone loves the Xonar!

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 11:33 AM ----------

Not really but i've heard good things about the asus xonar line.
    Thanks man! price shopping now!

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 11:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MeleX View Post
    Also, on Newegg, im seeing multiple models of the Xonar, multiple ones being 7.1 surround sound with a difference In price.

I see some differences, but due to my lack of knowledge on the subject, I have no clue how different they are, if its a bait and switch deal anything like that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132013

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132006

I see differences that once says dolby digital decoding, the other says 24 bit

If you have working headphones this might of help :

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 11:46 AM ----------

Edit : nevermind , wasnt relevant, well, if both are 7.1 then you should probably get the DS, as i think the DX has an internal amplifier, but the takstar doesnt really require that.
    Last edited by Keller; 2012-09-13 at 11:46 AM.

Edit : nevermind , wasnt relevant, well, if both are 7.1 then you should probably get the DS, as i think the DX has an internal amplifier, but the takstar doesnt really require that.
    About the Takstar 2050, where can i buy it?

I have only found a couple of places that will ship one, but from Hong Kong, while I would like to get shipped from the US so I can do a quick shipping option so I can get em asap

Honestly, Im considering getting it all overnighted so I can have a lan party on saturday lol

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 11:58 AM ----------

Seems Ill probably have to get it shipping from HK, and thats cool I have looked em up and stellar reviews so its worth the wait, I didn't mean to sound really rushy or anything or unappreciative I just wanted to see if there was somewhere US based I could get it from

About the Takstar 2050, where can i buy it?

I have only found a couple of places that will ship one, but from Hong Kong, while I would like to get shipped from the US so I can do a quick shipping option so I can get em asap

Honestly, Im considering getting it all overnighted so I can have a lan party on saturday lol

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 11:58 AM ----------

Seems Ill probably have to get it shipping from HK, and thats cool I have looked em up and stellar reviews so its worth the wait, I didn't mean to sound really rushy or anything or unappreciative I just wanted to see if there was somewhere US based I could get it from
    Sadly not, it's a really obscure product and none would know how good they were if they werent posted on head-fi because of an impulse buy.
    Anyways, I got mine from ebay, from kenny-lin and It got to me, in the EU, for about a week

Sorry! Not meaning to bombard, I was looking into the Takstar 2050, which brought me to a head-fi thread which seems to be a group of Audiophiles and there was a lot praise, however there was mention of a competitor, that is an exact copy of the 2050, which from my understanding is also a copy of the DT 880

There was a previous thread, but after google I found these as well.

Do you know anything about the

Technical Pro HPT990

Supposedly the same, but with domestic shipping and all that this may be the better deal if its the exact same deal, but thoughts?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-...permitted/5325

Sorry! Not meaning to bombard, I was looking into the Takstar 2050, which brought me to a head-fi thread which seems to be a group of Audiophiles and there was a lot praise, however there was mention of a competitor, that is an exact copy of the 2050, which from my understanding is also a copy of the DT 880

There was a previous thread, but after google I found these as well.

Do you know anything about the

Technical Pro HPT990

Supposedly the same, but with domestic shipping and all that this may be the better deal if its the exact same deal, but thoughts?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-...permitted/5325
    It's the same headphone, they're all the same and they are available from a few different manifacturers, if you can get one with domestic shipping, cheaper, go for it, I just cant' say how good that headband is.

Edit : it's the same band ,g4it

It's the same headphone, they're all the same and they are available from a few different manifacturers, if you can get one with domestic shipping, cheaper, go for it, I just cant' say how good that headband is.

Edit : it's the same band ,g4it
    Thanks man, compiling my newegg or amazon buy list.

I really appreciate the help

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 12:31 PM ----------

Well everyone I got it done!

For Anyone interested:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i01
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
    $77
    Soundcard + Mic (with good reviews, while cheap) w/ next day shipping (because I have more money than patience =( )

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00
    With next day shipping, $72

Expense was mostly shipping, items were about 110, shipped next day $147

Thanks for all your help for those that contributed!

arright, dont forget to post impressions.

arright, dont forget to post impressions.
    Sure can!

Not the most technical person out there but I can definitely give an opinion on how i feel about em

Deleted
    My Gioteck EX-05 works like a charm. It's a bit heavy on wires though.

15+ Year Old Account
    The price difference in cards that you linked which I didn't notice it answered.

$49 Xonar is PCI and the $89 Xonar is PCI Express.

Also headset really depends on what you want be it USB or the actual sound card. If you want a USB headset where gaming can go through the speakers and voice comms through the headset G35 is a great headset. If you have a 7.1 Card and want to use the 7.1 Card Razer Tiamat hands down takes the cake but it's a little higher priced @ $179
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?