Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Mist of Pandaria Elemental Shaman Guide

I had to make an Elemental shaman, which I am re-rolling to in Mist, guide for my guild. So I figured I would share the knowledge I attained/gained while on the beta. These are just the things I personally use and have tested and what has come to work for me. I just want to re-clarify this is what I personally have been using and testing and what has been working for me. Other individuals might have gotten better results with different stats, ideas, ect....ENJOY!

Talents

Astral Shift - 40% damage reduction for 6 seconds, has a 2 minute cooldown.

Nature's Guardian - attacks that bring you under 30% health Nature's Guardian will reduces your threat & increases your health by 25% for 10 seconds.

Stone Bulwark Totem - 30 second shield, refreshing every 5 seconds. 1 Minute Cooldown.

Personally I prefer Astral shift. Shamans without Astral shift really don't have a damage reduction cooldown.

Frozen Power - Frost shocks also root the target for 5 seconds.

Earthgrab Totem - All enemies within 10 yards become rooted for 5 seconds. If a target has been rooted before it's movement speed is reduced by 50%. 30 second Cooldown.

Windwalk Totem - Grants raid members within 40 yards immunity to movement impairing effects for 6 seconds.

I think Earthgrab Totem might be the way to go. There are a couple of fights with adds, example Tsulong, where being able to slow or root is very handy. Plus you don't have to sacrfice damage casting a frost shock.

Call of the Elements - All totems that have a base cooldown shorter than 3 minutes are reset.

Totemic Projection - Relocates active totems to the target location.

Totemic Restoration - reduces the cooldown of a totem by a max of 50% of the lost duration remaining compared the total duration possible.

Personally I like to use Totemic Projection to relocate things like earthgrab, capacitor, or magama totem when needed. Call of the elements can be nice for resetting all sorts of totem CDs; Healing stream, earthgrab, capacitor, grounding, tremor. all of which can be useful in both pvp and pve.

Ancestral Swiftness - 5% haste with Nature’s Swiftness instant cast ability. 1 minute cooldown

Echo of the Elements - 6% chance to duplicate any spell (including overloads)

Elemental Mastery 30% haste for 20 seconds. 2 minute Cooldown.

At the moment I use Echo of Elements it seems that just about every fight has some kind of AoE part, and with Glyph of Chain lightning thats alot of extra chances to get a proc. I do believe at the moment it is also the strongest single target choice. Elemental mastery does have its place though on fights with alot of high on demand burst.

Ancestral Guidance - for the next 10 seconds 40% of your direct damage or healing is copied as healing to up to 3 nearby injured players. 2 minute Cooldown

Conductivity - 50% of initial damage from Chain Lighting, Earth Shock, Lightning Bolt, or Elemental Blast is shared as healing between all allies standing in your Healing Rain when you successfully hit an enemy standing in your Healing Rain.

Healing Tide Totem - Heals the 5 most injured nearby players every 2 seconds for 10 seconds and has a 40 yard range. 3 minute Cooldown.

Personally Ancestral Guidance seems like the best choice. I feel with the shorter cooldown and the static 40% of damge done is copied, that Ancestral Guidance offers will give out more healing overall. But my raid leader has a hardon for healing tide.

Elemental Blast - new damage spell that procs a random secondary stat by 3500 (Crit/Haste/Mastery)

Primal Elementalist - your elementals recieve extra abilities and their damage is increased by 50%

Unleashed Fury - your target recieves a 10 second debuff that increases Lightning Bolt damage by 30%.

At the moment Elemental Blast is the strongest damge increase.

My Current MOP SPEC - - http://mop.wowhead.com/talent#s!jj|

Glyphs

Flame Shock
    Unleashed Lightning

Theses seem like the 2 mandatory glyphs, the majority of fights have some kind of movement and Spiritwalker's Grace isn't enough due to the amount of movement or the cooldown is to long. Flame Shock is one of our weakest hitting abilities but a necessary evil, using this less in a fight is always a good thing.

Fight dependent Glyphs

Chain lightning - For 4+ Target fights
    Fire Elemental Glyph - Will be based around fight durations, between 4-5 minutes, 9-10 minutes and 20 minute fights using the glyph is a DPS increase.
    Telluric Currents - used only if the 2 above aren't useful

Shaman Raid Utility/CDs

Rotations

Basic Rotation

Flame shock > Lava Burst > Earth shock 6 or 7 Stacks > Lighting bolt

*Keep Searing totem down

Rotations with Elemental Blast

Searing totem > Flame shock > Lava Burst > Elemental Blast >Earth shock (6-7stacks) > Lightning Bolt - Single target rotation

Magma Totem > Flame shock > Lava Burst > Elemental Blast >Earth shock (6-7stacks) > Chain Lightning - 2 Target

Magma Totem > Chain Lightning > Earth shock (6-7stacks) - 3 to 5 Targets

Earthquake > Magma Totem > Chain Lightning > Earth shock (6-7stacks) -5 or more Targets

Totem Projection also seems to be pretty strong for 2+ Target fights for dropping Magma totem. But this is of course if you dont need the others.

Stat Weights:

Basic

The stat priority for an Elemental Shaman is:

Hit Rating or Spirit - (until the 15% hit cap) At 90, most races (minus Draenei, Orc, Dwarves) require 5,100 Hit Rating to reach the spell hit cap. The Races listed above, only need 4,420 Hit Rating.

**Note that, in Mists of Pandaria, 1% expertise counts as 1% hit towards the spell hit cap.**

So without Glyph of Unleashed Lightning -

And with Glyph of Unleashed Lightning -

Reputation Gear

The August Celesials

Ravenmane's Gloves - Gloves
    Sandals of the Elder Sage - Boots
    Brewmaster Chani's Bracers - Bracers

The Shado-pan

Blossom of Pure Snow - Trinket
    Cloak of Snow Blossoms - Cloak
    Nightwatcher's Helm - Helm

Golden Lotus

Leven's Circle of Hope - Ring
    Seal of the Lucid - Ring
    Mindbender Shoulders - Shoulders
    Robes of the Setting Sun - Chest

The Klaxxi

Klaxxi Lash of the Precursor - belt
    Wire of the Wakener - neck
    Swarmkeeper's Leggings - legs

Elemental Shaman T14 BIS list(Overall)
    Helm - Firebirds Headpiece
    Neck - Korvens Ambersealed Beetle
    Shoulders - Firebirds Shoulderwraps
    Chest - Mail of Screaming Secrets
    Waist - Binder's Chain of Unending Summer
    Legs - Firebirds Kilt
    Feet - Lightning Prisoner's Boots
    Wrist - Bracers of Tempestuous Fury
    Hands - Firebirds Gloves
    Rings - Seal of the Profane --- Watersoul Signet
    Trinkets - Essence of Terror --- Relic of Yu'lon
    Back - Cloak of Overwhelming Corruption
    Main Hand - Kri'tak, Imperial Scepter of the Swarm
    Off-hand - Tornado-Summoning Censer

Enchants

Shoulders - Greater Crane Wing Inscription
    Back -Superior Intellect
    Chest -Glorious Stats
    Bracers - Super Intellect
    Gloves -Superior Mastery
    Boots -Pandaren's Step
    Weapon - Jade Spirit
    Off-hand - Major Intellect
    Legs - Greater Pearlescent Spellthread
    *Rings(if enchanter)* - Greater Intellect

Useful Macros

CD Macro
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] Elemental Mastery
    /cast [mod:shift.] Heroism
    /use Flashfrozen Resin Globule
    /use Potion of the Jade Serpent
    /cast Ascendance

Elemental Macro
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] Fire Elemental Totem
    /cast [mod:shift.] Earth Elemental Totem

Fire Totems Macro
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] Searing totem
    /cast [mod:shift.] Magma Totem

Healing Totems Macro
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] Healing Stream Totem
    /cast [mod:shift.] Healing Tide Totem

Hex/Focus Hex Macro
    #showtooltip Hex
    /cast [modifier:shift, target=focus] Hex ; Hex

LB/CL Primal Elementalist macro
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] Lightning Bolt
    /cast [mod:shift.] Chain Lightning
    /cast immolate
    /cast fire blast

Movement Macro
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] Spiritwalker's Grace
    /cast [mod:shift.] Ghost Wolf

PvP Shocks Macro
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] Earth Shock
    /cast [mod:shift.] Frost Shock

Stun/Grounding Macro
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] Grounding Totem
    /cast [mod:shift.] Capacitor Totem

CS/Focus CS Macro
    #showtooltip Wind Shear
    /stopcasting
    /cast [modifier:shift, target=focus] Wind Shear ; Wind Shear

Useful Macros for Primal Elementalist

#showtooltip Chain Lightning
    /cast Chain Lightning
    /cast Fire Nova
    /cast immolate
    /cast fire blast

#showtooltip Lava Burst
    /cast Lava Burst
    /cast immolate
    /cast fire blast

#showtooltip Lightning Bolt
    /cast Lightning Bolt
    /cast immolate
    /cast fire blast

#showtooltip [pet:Fire Elemental] Empower; [pet:Earth Elemental] Reinforce
    /use [pet:Fire Elemental] Empower; [pet:Earth Elemental] Reinforce

As to fights where an element shaman would be strong:

Any 2+ multi. target fights or Add fights. ;

• Spirit Kings
    • Will of the Emperor
    • Stone Guardians
    • Garajal the Spiritbinder
    • Garalon
    • Wind Lord Mel'jarak
    • Elegon
    • Protectors Of The Endless
    • Tsulong
    • Lei Shi
    • Imperial Vizier Zor'lok

Any Strong healing fights. Due to Healing Tide Totem;

• Spirit Kings
    • Feng The Accursed
    • Will of the Emperor
    • Elegon
    • Blade Lord Ta'yak
    • Tsulong
    • Lei Shi
    • Grand Empress Shek'zeer
    • Sha of Fear

Any Strong Burst Fights. Because of Elemental Mastery + Fire Elemental Glyph + Ascendence or strong AoE Burst with Echo of the Elements + Glyph of Chain Lightning;

• Wind Lord Mel'jarak
    • Elegon
    • Tsulong
    • Lei Shi

Or lastly Movement fights due to Spiritwalker's Grace and Glyph of Unleashed Lightning;

• Spirit Kings
    • Feng The Accursed
    • Will of the Emperor
    • Garalon
    • Wind Lord Mel'jarak
    • Elegon
    • Blade Lord Ta'yak
    • Tsulong
    • Lei Shi
    • Grand Empress Shek'zeer
    • Imperial Vizier Zor'lok
    • Sha of Fear
    Last edited by Aids; 2012-10-02 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Updated info

first.
    wow great guide, helps alot since im considering changing from resto to elemental. If its possible, is there any chance of adding a basic stat priority listing including hit caps etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am levelling a shaman just now so this will help me out, thanks for the guide

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shnoz View Post
    first.
    wow great guide, helps alot since im considering changing from resto to elemental. If its possible, is there any chance of adding a basic stat priority listing including hit caps etc.
    Sure I can do that.

nice guide, but isnt endus and the other shaman already making a guide for mists? but then again theres wont be until later, so this is nice for new shamans to look at regardless.

10+ Year Old Account
    The goal was to just relay the information I gathered playing the beta and reading forums and testing in SimCraft. I wasn't trying to step on toes. My guild required all of us to make class guides. So I figured I would share mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aids View Post
    The goal was to just relay the information I gathered playing the beta and reading forums and testing in SimCraft. I wasn't trying to step on toes. My guild required all of us to make class guides. So I figured I would share mine.
    Which is fine. There's no issue with people offering up different guides and such. I'm not likely to sticky this particular one, but pretty much solely because there's a collaborative guide effort being led by Binkenstein and I'll be sticking the product thereof when it's ready (and we're working on it). The idea there isn't just to get "a guide", it's to get a cohesive guide that's cross-posted everywhere and has several people double-checking everything on it.

I'm going to make another run through and gather up some of the aura and guide posts that have been made recently and add them to the "Shaman links" sticky, though.

Is casting empower during ascendance actually a dps increase and have anything to back that up? Just curious as I thought Empower was kind of useless for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Zykenwolf View Post
    Is casting empower during ascendance actually a dps increase and have anything to back that up? Just curious as I thought Empower was kind of useless for us.
    Is is useless unless your Primal Fire Elemental can't hit anything. PFE does approx 40k dps while up, so reverse calculating that for a break even point is 40,000/0.05 (where 0.05 = 5% damage bonus for Empower) = 800,000 dps. You could maybe hit 250,000 peak DPS during Ascendance, but that's about it.

What is the point of empower then?
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    What is the point of empower then?
    It's for when your FE can't hit the target. Say you pop him out, and the boss enters a flight phase in the last 20 seconds of his duration, for instance; you can Empower to get something, rather than have him stand around providing nothing.

Got ya, beats him spamming that fire blast ability even if the boss is in range.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Aids View Post
    I also noticed a decent dps increase when casting Elemental Blast before Hard casting Lava Burst, but never before a lava surge proc.
    So would that mean we cast EB during Ascendance?
    Hi Sephurik

I think we will be decent enough. Really getting my hopes high.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Lava Burst has a fairly significantly higher DCPT than EB I believe, so no you use EB before popped Ascendance. Make sure before you cast Ascendance though your Lava Burst is on cooldown because it will instantly refresh the cooldown. If your first cast of Lava Burst during Ascendance was off cooldown anyway Ascendance is actually just being wasted for that first 1.2-1.5 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    It may be a Dps Increase if you get Haste or Mastery Proc, but there's a 33% Chance that the Buff will be useless for the effectiveness of Ascendance.

The crit buff wouldn't be useless, you'll still have flame shock ticking away, and either an elemental or searing totem bashing/blasting away. Regardless, as others have said, lava burst has higher priority due to a higher DCPT, so you wouldn't cast EB.

10+ Year Old Account
    nice guide for the start. thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you. I updated some info.
    Last edited by Aids; 2012-09-15 at 03:58 PM.

Does UE have no place in the priority when not specced into UF? Not even to buff Flame Shock or LvB?

Also, why is crit above haste when not using glyph of unleashed? Haste has always been more valuable than crit due to the LB's long cast and LvB's guaranteed crit.
    Last edited by Allyrion; 2012-09-16 at 05:26 AM.