15+ Year Old Account

How do you know when it's time to upgrade you Mobo?

My system specs:

Win7 64bit
    I7-860 2.8 GHz
    8 Gigs Ram 1333
    Amd 7770 Oc'd to 1100Mhz.
    Corsair 750watt PSU

I've had this PC since I bought it back in 2009. The only thing I've not upgraded is the PCU, Mobo and Case. I was thinking I would upgrade my case whenever I got a new Mobo.

So on topic, when do you up grade your Mobo? Is there a point when it starts bottle-necking other components? Anyways, this question has been bugging me for awhile, thought I would try and get some clarification.

The one I have is the regular Dell mobo that came with it: Dell Inc.OT568R
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    My system specs:

Win7 64bit
    I7-860 2.8 GHz
    8 Gigs Ram 1333
    Amd 7770 Oc'd to 1100Mhz.
    Corsair 750watt PSU

I've had this PC since I bought it back in 2009. The only thing I've not upgraded is the PCU, Mobo and Case. I was thinking I would upgrade my case whenever I got a new Mobo.

So on topic, when do you up grade your Mobo? Is there a point when it starts bottle-necking other components? Anyways, this question has been bugging me for awhile, thought I would try and get some clarification.

The one I have is the regular Dell mobo that came with it: Dell Inc.OT568R
    Yes there is a point when it happens but I doubt you have reached it however I would say the slowest part of your setup is probably your RAM and HDD if you aren't using SSD. You can hit up the Windows Experience index and while it can't be taken seriously for the value it will pinpoint the slower parts that might be bottle necking your PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Like Requital said, your motherboard can theoretically bottleneck your components, but you aren't there yet.

Really, the only time you should need to upgrade your motherboard is when you upgrade your CPU, as they go hand in hand (motherboard socket has to match your CPU).
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-09-13 at 07:50 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, awesome, good to know. Thanks much. Was asking because I want to get a 570 or higher for Christmas. While I like my 7770, I'm getting a little tired of waiting for AMD to update drivers. My last 3 gpu's have been AMD and it always seems AMD's drivers are always a step behind NVidia. If someone has had a different experience please let me know. I just haven't had good experiences in the past year or so.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    Ok, awesome, good to know. Thanks much. Was asking because I want to get a 570 or higher for Christmas. While I like my 7770, I'm getting a little tired of waiting for AMD to update drivers. My last 3 gpu's have been AMD and it always seems AMD's drivers are always a step behind NVidia. If someone has had a different experience please let me know. I just haven't had good experiences in the past year or so.
    They just released the Microsoft certified 12.8 driver release on the 15th August...