Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    extracted by crushing them to paste
    I don't think you understand what "extracted" means.

I mean, under your definition, every glass of water you drink has been "extracted" from at least 3 different humans' urine.

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    I don't think you understand what "extracted" means.

I mean, under your definition, every glass of water you drink has been "extracted" from at least 3 different humans' urine.
    "There are two principal forms of cochineal dye: Cochineal extract is a colouring made from the raw dried and pulverised bodies of insects, and carmine is a more purified colouring made from the cochineal."

When they make carmine they at least remove the crunchy bits :P

Artificial flavours are a really complex issue and as thus cannot be simply answered.

Though, "no artificial flavours" doesn't guarantee it's what you think. For strawberry taste a lot of companies use a special mold which conveniently tastes awefully similar to actual strawberries but is so much easier to cultivate (and harvest all through the year) they won't bother with strawberries at all. But they can still use the word natural flavour, as this mold is a natural product (and it's completely save)

And orange juice is a whole different story. The things they do to orange juice and still sell it as 100% pure orange juice is pure malice.

If anything I am against misleading custumers with aweful buzz words.

"There are two principal forms of cochineal dye: Cochineal extract is a colouring made from the raw dried and pulverised bodies of insects, and carmine is a more purified colouring made from the cochineal."

You do realize you're pretty much eating bugs any time you have chocolate, right? Unless you somehow harvest the beans, sugar, and milk all on your own and make sure for yourself that there are absolutely no bugs in it.

Any time you eat shellfish you're eating giant sea bugs.

If you live in areas that don't filter their water (like, New York) you're literally drinking copepods (sea lice)

And, hell. If you eat cheese or yogurt you're eating bacteria.

Hell, the only reason you're capable of digesting anything at all is because you have a whole host of microorganisms swimming around in your gut.

Ain't life grand?

Deleted
    So OP, for you chemicals are higher quality? There's a reason why those chemicals got banned you know, it's because they make you sick in time.

I'd rather have those crushed roaches, the ones used for the red colour, then some chemicals, thank you very much.

Deleted
    So some people don't want the natural chemicals, because some of those are produced from some arguably unpleasant bugs.

Yet they prefer some crazy-shit goo that comes out of some factory with god knows what effects it has on the body.

I leave the conclusions to you.

If I apply your logic to water, if I make water by burning Hydrogen in a lab, it's not "natural," but if I purify it from seawater, it is.

They're both H2O, regardless of where they came from. Same thing can be said about synthesized flavorings vs "extracted" flavorings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    In a blind taste test, odds are overwhelmingly high that you'd not be able to taste the difference between natural sugars and their artificial counterparts. Maybe you can, but that'd make you a 1 in 1000 case.
    Nah, you most certainly can. Or at least I can. At least if I taste them directly.

Less so if blended into, say, coffee.

They also react differently to cooking. I've never had a sugar-substitute (notice I didn't say artificially?) sweetened cake that I liked.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishau View Post
    I see this everywhere and I have to say it really pisses me off. To be completely honest I would prefer that companies started using the Artificial flavours and colours in their products again so that we as consumers can have a higher quality product at a much lower price.

Does anyone here actually read a label saying "No Artificial Colours or Flavours" and actually feel more incentivised to buy it because of this?
    Absolutely! Artificial junk has no place in the food chain. New reseearch is showing the negative health effects, and as the awareness behind these health effects grow, more research is being done. Here is just one article I recently read, but there are LOTS more.

I read about a recent study on artifical blue colors' negative health effects on KnowGuff (.com) ...would post the link but not allowed since I'm too new to this forum. Search for the article. it's a good read for anyone who's totally out of the loop on food additives and all the chemical junk in food we eat.

Everyone has a responsibility to educate themselves.

Deleted
    I try to avoid products with lots of artificial crap. Why? Because many are dangerous. So no, I don't avoid those with fewer artificial crap, I avoid those with more.

Quote Originally Posted by VelmuVeera View Post
    I'd rather see artificial colors in my products, which are safe anyway here in Europe, rather than colors like e120, aka carmine which is made of cochineals which is just nasty. It's a bit annoying to see 90% of the products which are red to have colors made of these nasty bugs. There's probably a lot more colors which are made of bugs and I'd take artificial colors over bug colors any day.
    I would rather eat clean natural non-disease producing bugs all the time for colours in food rather then eat chemicals by the ton, because, you know, those bugs won't really make me develop diseases in the long run... unlike those damned chemicals. And as long as I don't see the bugs themselves in the finished product, I don't really care much.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 07:50 PM ----------

I remember a similar thread and someone saying what they don't eat because they're grossed out by it. One thing stuck in my mind and now I shall tell it to you because I'm evil like that

So, now, if bugs gross you out, I present you... eggs. Eggs are a chicken's period.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, actually I do.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    yes me, cause injecting chemicals in your body is never a good thing

P.S.: I don't fuss too much over it, however if there's a product free from them I buy it over the other.
    Everything you ingest is a chemical o.O