Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

No Artificial Colours or Flavours?!

I see this everywhere and I have to say it really pisses me off. To be completely honest I would prefer that companies started using the Artificial flavours and colours in their products again so that we as consumers can have a higher quality product at a much lower price.

Does anyone here actually read a label saying "No Artificial Colours or Flavours" and actually feel more incentivised to buy it because of this?

Deleted
    yes me, cause injecting chemicals in your body is never a good thing

P.S.: I don't fuss too much over it, however if there's a product free from them I buy it over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishau View Post
    I see this everywhere and I have to say it really pisses me off. To be completely honest I would prefer that companies started using the Artificial flavours and colours in their products again so that we as consumers can have a higher quality product at a much lower price.

Does anyone here actually read a label saying "No Artificial Colours or Flavours" and actually feel more incentivised to buy it because of this?
    You don't seem to understand, at at least have a skewed idea of, what a higher quality product is.

Also, companies don't charge less for using artifical ingredients. They charge the same amount. And even if they do charge less, it is marginally so, to the point where there is almost no point in counting the artificial one over the natural one.

On topic, I am not fussed over the labeling. Why would I be? As a supporter of "GM" foods, I think it would be rather daft to be against chemically created or modified foods that are deemed safe for human consumption.
    Last edited by Lolretadin; 2012-09-13 at 08:49 PM.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Deleted
    I'd rather see artificial colors in my products, which are safe anyway here in Europe, rather than colors like e120, aka carmine which is made of cochineals which is just nasty. It's a bit annoying to see 90% of the products which are red to have colors made of these nasty bugs. There's probably a lot more colors which are made of bugs and I'd take artificial colors over bug colors any day.

Deleted
    The thing is though, that's what annoys me about this whole advertising campaign...
    There is no difference between the Natural flavours and Artificial flavours. It is called Nature Identical for a reason as it literally is exactly the same as the Natural version. The NI version is just made in a lab and is therefore much much cheaper than the Natural version, even though it is exactly the same structure, taste and has the same health benefits or risks.

However there are many that don't realise this, so they think that something containing this label is healthier, even though it actually isn't. It just costs more and you get less for your money. Robinson Juice for example can be made to taste exactly the same but for a 10th of the price if they used NI flavours and colours.

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 09:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    You don't seem to understand, at at least have a skewed idea of, what a higher quality product is.

Also, companies don't charge less for using artifical ingredients. They charge the same amount. And even if they do charge less, it is marginally so, to the point where there is almost no point in counting the artificial one over the natural one.

On topic, I am not fussed over the labeling. Why would I be? As a supporter of "GM" foods, I think it would be rather daft to be against chemically created or modified foods that are deemed safe for human consumption.
    As someone who spends 9-5 Monday to Friday working in a lab to create these flavours I can tell you with 100% certainty that we charge a LOT less for Artificial flavours that taste exactly the same as our Natural Flavours.

I'll take whatever is best, artifical or not.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

It's also not that companies can charge less for products with artificial flavors and colors... It's that they can charge more for products without them. People who are trying to be "health-minded" will pay more for a product that has the perceived benefit of being "healthier," regardless of whether or not it actually is.

Since some people claim artificial flavors and colors are bad for you, or at least worse for you than their "natural" counterparts, people will believe that at face value and pay more for the "natural" variants. Regardless, of course, of any actual case being made for those statements.

[E] In other words, it's mostly just psychology and marketing.

Some red colour comes from a type of lice or something. I would rather have a synthetic colour instead

Deleted
    The thing is though, that's what annoys me about this whole advertising campaign...
    There is no difference between the Natural flavours and Artificial flavours. It is called Nature Identical for a reason as it literally is exactly the same as the Natural version. The NI version is just made in a lab and is therefore much much cheaper than the Natural version, even though it is exactly the same structure, taste and has the same health benefits or risks.

However there are many that don't realise this, so they think that something containing this label is healthier, even though it actually isn't. It just costs more and you get less for your money. Robinson Juice for example can be made to taste exactly the same but for a 10th of the price if they used NI flavours and colours.

---------- Post added 2012-09-13 at 09:56 PM ----------

As someone who spends 9-5 Monday to Friday working in a lab to create these flavours I can tell you with 100% certainty that we charge a LOT less for Artificial flavours that taste exactly the same as our Natural Flavours.
    So you're telling me I shouldn't buy fresh juice, but buy some mostly artificial stuff instead because... it's cheap? And no, sweeteners and addatives don't taste the same.
    You are clearly very biased on this matter and you're just hear to preach about it. If this is even true at all.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that natural doesn't mean anything. Artificially created water is just as water as natural water. Dangerous chemicals from natural plants and animals are just as dangerous as their artificial counterparts. What companies should be using are the safest and most easily produced chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Some red colour comes from a type of lice or something. I would rather have a synthetic colour instead
    Why? You aren't eating the bugs, you are eating a product colored with a chemical that has been extracted from the bug. It's just a chemical, who cares where it comes from if it doesn't make it taste bad?

10+ Year Old Account
    I keep telling everyone this, but nobody listens! All I ever get from these idiots is "natural stuff is always better than artificial stuff" Why? "Because it's nature!"

Jesus people can be stupid...

---------- Post added 2012-09-14 at 01:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    So you're telling me I shouldn't buy fresh juice, but buy some mostly artificial stuff instead because... it's cheap? And no, sweeteners and addatives don't taste the same.
    You are clearly very biased on this matter and you're just hear to preach about it. If this is even true at all.
    In a blind taste test, odds are overwhelmingly high that you'd not be able to taste the difference between natural sugars and their artificial counterparts. Maybe you can, but that'd make you a 1 in 1000 case.

I purchase the products I enjoy, I don't really worry much about whether it's "natural" or not. The whole idea of things being superior based on their status as "natural" is just absurd in the first place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    I think you clearly miss-understood what I was saying.
    I was not talking about fresh fruit juice. Fresh Juices (most of those do contain artificial ingredients anyway) are the healthier option.

Allow me to give a more specific example:
    There are Orange Drinks (Juice that you dilute down with water) on sale. One of them says "Contains no Artificial Flavours or Colouring" and the other doesn't. Even though it is more expensive people tend to buy the Natural Orange drink thinking it is healthier.
    What they don't realise is actually they are both made in a lab, just one uses Natural Chemicals and the other uses NI Chemicals. The Natural chemicals are more expensive but give no actual benefits other than being able to say Natural on the label.
    In this case of orange the main chemical I'd use to make it would be Octyl Acetate. The Natural version and the Not Natural version taste exactly the same. There is no difference. One is not better for you than the other. Natural is just more expensive. In this orange juice drink there is no freshly squeezed oranges. Even though it says Natural on the label, the whole thing was still made by chemicals in a lab.

That is why this whole campaign is stupid. It relies on people who don't know how flavours work (which is the vast majority of people not working in the industry) and assume that Natural Flavours mean it is healthier and therefore they would be willing to spend more money for it, when they could have got exactly the same thing for cheaper.

Also, a Natural sweetener tastes exactly the same as its Artificial counterpart.
    Natural Sucanat is something many people claim to be a healthy sweetener because of it being Natural. Artificial Sucanat has exactly the same structure and taste, costs a fraction of the price, and has the same effect on health as the Natural version.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I keep telling everyone this, but nobody listens! All I ever get from these idiots is "natural stuff is always better than artificial stuff" Why? "Because it's nature!"

Jesus people can be stupid...
    You should remind said people that cyanide is found in nature, too.

Artificial red induces hallucinations and dysphoria in some people. Bugs are good for you!

Deleted
    Aint it better to pay minimally higher costs to avoid the health issues you could encounter in the future.
    Especially since the artificial colors and flavor substances havent been tested enough to be sure that they wont cause health problems?

Deleted
    natural ingridents in chips can suck my ***** i mean if i choose to eat chips why in the burning hells would i want it to be "good for me"? chips is not known for being healthy so they should just stop pretending it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helwet View Post
    Aint it better to pay minimally higher costs to avoid the health issues you could encounter in the future.
    Especially since the artificial colors and flavor substances havent been tested enough to be sure that they wont cause health problems?
    It isn't minimally higher costs really.
    1kg of Artifical Banana Flavouring could cost (depending on the ingredients) around £15. The same Banana Flavouring, but Natural, would be closer to £80 per kg.
    The reason that Artificial colours and flavour substances tend to be referred to as Nature Identical is because they literally are Identical to the Natural version. The same health risks apply to both, one is not healthier than the other and that's my point.
    People perceive Natural Flavours as being healthier when actually they aren't.

Im fine with no Colouring or flavorings except...

I want my friken orginal smarties back with AC and Flavorings >.<
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    A lot of people don't seem to understand that natural doesn't mean anything. Artificially created water is just as water as natural water. Dangerous chemicals from natural plants and animals are just as dangerous as their artificial counterparts. What companies should be using are the safest and most easily produced chemicals.

Why? You aren't eating the bugs, you are eating a product colored with a chemical that has been extracted from the bug. It's just a chemical, who cares where it comes from if it doesn't make it taste bad?
    extracted by crushing them to paste