Thread: New PC Build

New PC Build

So I've been thinking of getting a new machine for a while now (Sayonara, Core 2 duo!) I just want people opinions on some of the components, like if they'd recommend one motherboard / case over another, and which GPU of the same series has the best cooling etc.

I've made this build with these things in mind:

- Video Encoding (Hence i7, though you're free to argue against with a suitable reason)

- GAMES

- Have a slight preference for AMD GPUs as I've had little to no trouble with them with the 8 years I've been using them. Also seems to be at a slightly better £/P atm.

- No real set budget, but I do consider £/Performance. No need for Monitor, Mouse or Windows (yay student). Keyboard needed.

- Planning to OC to 4.5GHz or more. (Ivy bridge - free to argue against with a suitable reason)

- Motherboard needs 2+ SATA3

(Don't necessarily need to be just from the site i'm using, but still available from the UK).

Parts

CPU : 3770k £258.46
    CPU Cooler : NH-D14" - £55.76
    Motherboard Asus Z77 V PRO - £144.95
    RAM Corsair 8GB 1600MHz Low Profile CL9 1.5v - £32.98 x 2 (£65.96) - Total of 16GB
    Hard Drives: Corsair 240GB Force 3 SSD - £139.98
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7.2k RPM - £65
    GPU: The one i was thinking of was out of stock but looking at the higher end ones... So - £320-£400 - Looking like PowerColor V3 or Sapphire Vapor-X GHz Edition.
    Case: Cooler Master HAF-X - £124.98
    PSU: Corsair HX 750W - Has 8pin connectors - £116.66

CD/DVD D: Samsung Opt. D - £12.94

Keyboard: ? - No ghosting, don't care if it's particularly loud, currently got a G11, nothing's particularly wrong with it (2 temporary-fixed keys) but the other computer will be like a backup I guess :P - Recently saw people recommending Corsair K90 ?

£1,300~ w/o keyboard.

Probably need a new desk (wide enough for 2x24s") with some kind of floor base so the PC sits under the desk
    A new chair if people can give a few suggestions.
    Some extra case fans perhaps?

--- Edit ---

GPU: PowerColor 7970 V3 3GB - £318.93

Considering SSD: Samsung 830 256GB - £169.98

--- Edit 2 ---

Swapped PSU (Old one: PSU: Corsair TX 650W V2 - £70 ) because the 750W has 8pin connectors (with detachable 2pins) so it fits the GPU.
    Last edited by Yohassakura; 2012-09-14 at 06:26 PM.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Both hard drives are pretty poor. Samsung mechanical drives are now exclusively made by Seagate, and the Force 3 series has had a very poor reliability track record. I'd swap the mechanical out for a WD Caviar Black. Then swap out the SSD for a Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 as they're pretty much the most reliable SSDs you can get at the moment.

In terms of video cards, instead of considering the 7970 vs 680 just go ahead and get a 7970 Ghz. It's the fastest card available at this time for the same price as a 680.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

How much video encoding do you do? If it's something you do quite heavily then I won't steer you away from the i7. If it's something you do one a week or less than the 3570k will be more than adequate (depending on the scale of the encode).

Is there any particular reason why you need 16GB of RAM? 8 is normally plenty for most uses. Again this probably comes back to the scale of your encoding jobs.

In regards to the SSD I would probably advise looking at the Samsung 830 and avoiding Sandforce.

Any of the 7970's will do what you need them to do. I can recommend XFX, ASUS and Sapphire as being solid manufacturers so take you pick here really.

I was looking at mechanical keyboards recently and ended up purchasing a Filco with Cherry browns. I can highly recommend this keyboard. Solid quality and very responsive.

My advice on a desk would be to go to an office furniture store where most businesses buy their stuff from. Lots of options and they normally last longer. Also I would advise getting a more ergonomic chair with quality foam over those cheaper ones you get at the cheaper consumer level stores. I've had mine for three years now and it's still in perfect condition.

Yeah, I was thinking of the 7970 but the one that i eyed up a little while ago went out of stock (Gigabyte Windforce 3x I think it was).

About the SSD - Currently got a Corsair Force GT 120GB in my machine, which I haven't had any problems with yet, but they recently hiked the prices up for no reason, and there's not much difference between the two versions from what I could see, so as my current one is holding strong I thought that'd also do good.

And hmm :/ I'd have hoped that they'd have kept the same good quality, even though Seagate has taken over Samsung in HDD section.

The RAM is dead cheap, so that's why i'm opting for 16GB.

I wouldn't say that I do a lot of video encoding atm, but looking at possibly live-streaming and making more videos during MoP.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|