Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    Of course I never said otherwise, just noted that he's basically posting how bad the game is in just about every single thread, seemingly unusually determined to persuade others not to like it either for someone that implies not to care about the game... opps sorry, somone that doesn't care ENOUGH! about the game
    He might be more critical than some but, to be honest, he's not that bad. Even on the "official" boards you can find greater degrees of hostility. Not really that bad for a curse site's board for a different game. Just take it, like everything, with a heaping helping of salt and don't hesitate to call him, like anyone else, on his BS when you feel like it.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

The hell? All the classes seem to do well. I think some weapons are underpowered on some classes, but every class has roles that they excel at.

There was a post that mentioned that elementalists were some how underpowered? Even though they are one the the most influencing classes in both sPVP and WvWvW

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    The hell? All the classes seem to do well. I think some weapons are underpowered on some classes, but every class has roles that they excel at.

There was a post that mentioned that elementalists were some how underpowered? Even though they are one the the most influencing classes in both sPVP and WvWvW
    As someone that play both Elementalist and Warrior I can say clearly that Elementalist are way underpowered. Warrior can do x2 better with 2-3 buttons than an elementalist can do with 15 buttons(swapping attunements included). Elementalist was my first big disappointment in the game...When I switch from my warrior to play the Elementalist it just feels it take ages to kill a single mob with much more effort on kiting and much more ability use.

Frustration wins over fun at last I just keep playing my Ele and hope for a patch to fix things. In my mind a glass cannon class must have lot of damage to balance its weakness..as for classes being excluded from things, I have already seen several posts on Map "looking for more for x dungeon, except elementalist". I am no kidding..I am not an expert on dungeons, maybe the people exclude elementalist are just un-fair or have little knowledge of the game but it is happening
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Depends how you play.

You roll a profession you enjoy and then play that profession to its particular strengths? Or do you pick a style of playing and then a profession?

Rolling Engineer and then playing it as a support/control is a good way of doing it. Wanting to play a high-damage profession and then picking Engineer, is doing it badly.

Deleted
    Fun is the word.
    I would have fun playing an hypothetical underpowered class, because of lore, mechanics or just how colorful the spells are.
    Somebody can't have fun with an hypothetical underpowered class, so he/she picks a class that has some "power" in order to have fun.
    Different kind of views about the word "fun", but still a matter of fun is. It depends on your approach to the game.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    A class that is fun will keep you playing.
    A class that is good might not be fun for some people which would drive them away from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Depends how you play.

You roll a profession you enjoy and then play that profession to its particular strengths? Or do you pick a style of playing and then a profession?

Rolling Engineer and then playing it as a support/control is a good way of doing it. Wanting to play a high-damage profession and then picking Engineer, is doing it badly.
    But GW2 doesn't have roles..why should I chose a role? Isn't than against the game philosophy? In general glass cannon classes have high damage to balance the ir weak defences. Elementalist has the lowest armor and health in the game and someone would expect that ele have high damage to counter this. Also I thought that all classes were all-round balanced, not that each class is best on his role (support, control, damage). I want to play engineer/warrior to do good damage, have good support and have good control. I don't want to play engineer to have excellent support or warrior to have excellent damage

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    A class that is fun will keep you playing.
    A class that is good might not be fun for some people which would drive them away from the game.
    A class that is underpowered though may take the fun away. I never go with the FOTM class because I know that it will be fixed. I always play what I like and hope to be fixed if underpowered. Although while underpowered I can't say I have the fun I am expecting to have
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Manekk he did the same thing for SWtOR.
    You just kind of have to deal with it.
    His posts can get slightly depressing to read though.

Anyway this is getting slightly off-topic.

You sort of have to pick a balance between "fun" and more of "balanced"
    You don't need the most op class there is if it's boring to play.
    However if what you find fun is completely dominated by literally everything and there is nothing you can do to change it except wait for a patch, then you should probably find another class that is almost as fun, but more viable.
    Last edited by smartguy16; 2012-09-14 at 01:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh... As far as whats over and under powered? That is highly subject to change. FOTM is practically a feature of MMORPG's and one that is only 20 days old has not had much time for post launch tweaking yet.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

15+ Year Old Account
    Play what's fun to you, and make an alt that might be more "viable". This way you get to play what you like for the most part, and if for some reason, there's a balance issue temporarily (class balance is always ongoing), you can hop onto your other character and still do whatever it was that you were trying to do.

I myself, plan on having 2 characters that i'll switch between... Elementalist is def one, the other i'm trying to decide between theif and warrior... on the fence with that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    well I play what I like (necro). in PvP i slow and lower the defence of a warr, then I bleed him 2-3-4-5 stacks and the bleed ticks for 105. then he sees me, he jumps at me, and hits me for 7k 5k 10k.
    fun fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want a strong class, avoid the Elementalist. We're pretty bad right now.

Play what you like.

It's an MMO. There will be buffs. There will be nerfs. Just because it's bad now doesn't mean it will be bad forever.

The worst thing you could do would be to roll that good class you hate, only to have it nerfed and it's not good anymore (or better enough to warrant keeping it).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    If you want a strong class, avoid the Elementalist. We're pretty bad right now.
    But fun!
    If you wanna have fun, play the elementalist!

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    But GW2 doesn't have roles..
    It most certainly does, and it was never said at any point that it didnt. There are infact 3 roles (damage/control/support), the difference is there is no holy trinity. What this means is, everyone does everything. Even when you spec for damage, you will always do a bit of support and a bit of control. And you are expected to.
    It also means, you can put emphasis on any role regardless of your profession. Thieves can go support, Engineers can go damage, Warriors can go for control.

But some professions simply have an inherent talent for certain roles.
    Last edited by terrahero; 2012-09-14 at 02:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I miss the original holy trinity of MMOs.

Rock, paper, scissors.

Mages beat warriors, they have heavy armor but the magic damage goes through armor, plus their range helps them.
    Rogues beat mages, rogues can stealth up and get inside of a caster's range undetected and dismantle them from close range.
    Warriors beat rogues, that sneaky stuff doesn't do them a whole lot of good against someone who's in heavy armor and wielding a big weapon.

But of course the whole rogue mage warrior trinity was scrapped when people wanted "balance" and the ability to kill anyone if they played well enough.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Actually it was a sarcastic comment from me :P Although still not any class can perform well in all roles though leading to still you need x class for this or that...if you run a dungeon and you miss a support you will take a guardian not a warrior or thief..if you miss damage you will get warrior and thief...Sadly Elementalist does not excel anywhere right now I don't think this was intended by Anet and will balance things around for sure sometime

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Echoing many people's sentiment, in a game so strangely 'balanced' you are basically forced into what is 'good' if you want the game to have longevity. What you think are quirky, but fun mechanics in the beginning will start to tear you apart in the end. Take for example the engineer. I thought it would be the perfect class my nerdness and that the playstyle was unique enough to stay interesting.

After getting in my 60s, and mobs taking ages to kill while jumping all over, switching kits like crazy, dropping turrets, bombs, elixirs, etc...it's just too much for almost no impact. I rolled a warrior thinking I would hate it and I just faceroll everything. It's not even that I like it more because it is 'easier', but it's just so much better for PvE. While it isn't as interesting at the beginning, more efficient play gets more and more rewarding as you go on.

This is the first game where I've felt the need to choose like the OP mentioned, which is one of the biggest complaints I can give to the game...since I love just about everything else about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I make my own "tier list" of the game, based on my view of each character/option strenghts and weaknesses, then I pick the most fun character/option of the top half. This usually leads me to an A tier pick. (considering S/A/B/C/F tiers)

Sooner or later the nerfbat giveth and the nerfbat taketh away. If you enjoy playing an underpowered class, rejoice in the fact that at some time the developers will see that it's unpopular and ramp up your viability somehow. Then, as one of the very few skilled players of that class you will be courted with champagne and roses.

At least that's been my experience. Play what you like, sooner or later the pendulum will swing your way.